A must read if you CCW

A must read if you CCW

This is a discussion on A must read if you CCW within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Law of Self Defense by Andrew F. Branca. Covers just about every thing you should know before you carry regarding the law. It gives ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MolonLabeJax
  • 2 Post By Gun_guy

Thread: A must read if you CCW

A must read if you CCW

The Law of Self Defense by Andrew F. Branca. Covers just about every thing you should know before you carry regarding the law. It gives you a look at how the law may pertain to particular situations and is very in depth from innocence to avoidance, defense of others, defense of property, after the fact, and crafting a legally sound defense.

I just finished this book and was very eye opening as to our liability if we CCW. Things that were not discussed in my CCW class. I went to order it on Amazon and find that if you are an Amazon Prime member you can "borrow" it for free, but the cost of the book would be well worth it. I'm going to buy it to have as a reference and loan to friends.

Be careful out there.

I'm curious how he's handling listing the laws for all 50 states. Unfortunately that wasn't part of the preview.

Fortunately Florida law is covered here.
    nedrgr21 and nortelrye like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabeJax View Post
    I'm curious how he's handling listing the laws for all 50 states. Unfortunately that wasn't part of the preview.
    He lists them in tables by State and various categories.

The book is very well done. I have the First Edition that he did years ago and the Second Edition is a huge improvement, both in writing style and content.

If you are new to carrying you should be very proficient in the law before you get the license. Jmo but I'm sure it's a good read.
    Czombie and nortelrye like this.

Thx HH. I'll have to pick up a copy. Can't hurt to have more legal input.

This book goes far beyond what we may think we know about the law. It's worth a read.

Distinguished Member
    I congratulate any and all who continue to learn and read.

Just a thought to ponder. Once we make the decision to carry we must then make the decisions on when we will use the gun. Arguing the legalities of what if this that and the other thing can cause a split second delay possibly costing you your life. For me the decision was made long before I have to use my weapon. My life will change and legal is anybodys guess. I will not say anything to the investigating officer and hire the best attorney I can afford. The outcome will be I am alive and the bad guy may not be. There are no bad shoots if I am alive in my opinion.

The biggest problem is that even though it's fairly new it's still out of date already. So many laws have changed since the publish date on the use of deadly force and the laws governing the carrying of a concealed handgun that you really need to know how to keep current with your individual state's laws as they change and the laws of the states you plan on visiting.

It may be a good basic reference but not one to take as gospel for all states.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Andrew Branca has a web site Law of Self Defense that provides additional information on the legalities associated with Self Defense (SD). A new resource is the "Law of Self Defense University" which are an ongoing series of presentations on SD subjects. A good place to learn more from an actual attorney who has focused his career on SD-related issues.

Sponsored Links