Anyone Read this one, or Know anything about it?

This is a discussion on Anyone Read this one, or Know anything about it? within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/K...ment?page=full Hopefully within the pages of "Deacons for Defense" we will see yet another reason why gun control is bad and some very finite examples ...

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/K...ment?page=full

Hopefully within the pages of "Deacons for Defense" we will see yet another reason why gun control is bad and some very finite examples of why the ability of a populace (particularly a minority population) to arm itself is good....
    Last edited by randytulsa2; February 7th, 2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: needed a little more specificity
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    Here is an article I found on this subject a couple of years ago....I think it was written early 2005 or late 2004.

(sorry don't have the link)
    Gun Control: Racist and Elitist
    By John Bender SUSSA

From the start, of our organization, Seniors United Supporting the Second Amendment (SUSSA), has tried to spread the word that gun control is racist and elitist. It is shocking to find out how few people, White or Black know about the role guns played in the civil rights movement of the 1960s.
    How many people know that the NRA helped train Blacks in Monroe, N.C. and the local NRA chapter mounted an armed defense against the Klan, routing them in a gun battle?
    How many people know that a group called Deacons for Defense and Justice guarded the voter registration workers that C.O.R.E. had working in the Deep South to register Black voters?
    How many people know that Floyd McKissick, of CORE, and Martin Luther King, of SCLC, had the Deacons protect the marchers on the "March Against Fear" in 1966? This march, from Memphis, Tennessee to Jackson, Mississippi, was organized after James Meredith was shot while trying to make the 220-mile walk by himself. When the marchers reached Greenwood, Mississippi, Stokely Carmichael gave his famous Black Power speech.
    The Deacons for Defense and Justice scouted ahead of the marchers looking for snipers, and ambushes. They also guarded the marchers at night as armed guards against raiders. Why isn't this taught in our schools and by the civil rights leaders of today?
    Why are Black voters supporting politicians who are stripping them of their rights?
    It is because nobody is telling them their history. Dr. King is gone. Floyd McKissick is gone. James Farmer is gone. The last of the big name civil rights leaders of the 1960s is Mr. Roy Innis, National Chairman of C.O.R.E.
    Mr. Innis knows the history of guns in the civil rights movement. Mr. Innis was there in the 1960s. He was working in the South being guarded by Black men with guns. But the elite media ignores Mr. Innis.
    Today politicians are turning Black neighborhoods into target rich environments by pricing and regulating guns out of the hands of the good people who live there. The gangsters and crack dealers have plenty of guns. They buy them or steal them.
    The $10.00 an hour single mother down the street from the crack house is priced out of having a gun to protect herself and her family. Registration fees and license fees as well as laws that leave issuing a license up to the discretion of some good old boy keep poor and minority people disarmed and vulnerable.
    Blacks and other minorities should be the strongest supporters of all of the Bill of Rights including their right to own and carry a gun. Too many people died and sacrificed so that the Bill of Rights would apply to Blacks for them to let it be stolen from them again.
    John Bender
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

This looks like it goawayfarm: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/805202/posts

I also think I found it cached on google from the SUSSA.org site but it appears they are currently down. -in case someone pesters you about a lack of reference. (half the office is out today so i had time to look it up)

I have often wondered why more members of more minorities seem (to me) to be under-represented on gun boards (even this one) and generally in RKBA stuff.

Those who are the most readily victimized often seem to be the least active in preventing it or the least aware about it and that just seems badly incongruous to me.

We have some ladies here (and they add immensely to our online community's quality of life), but not nearly enough of 'em, but very few black folks (at least as far as I can tell). Same story goes with Jewish people.

Oh, well...I'll see if the library has the book and if so, I'll check it out. If not, I might just see if I can find a used copy to order from somewhere off of Amazon.

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Oh, well...I'll see if the library has the book and if so, I'll check it out. If not, I might just see if I can find a used copy to order from somewhere off of Amazon.
    Randy, if you haven't checked yet; Tulsa City-County Library has the book in two branches.

Branch Location Call Number
    CENTRAL 2nd flr Adult 323.1196 H553d 2004
    RUDISILL Adult 323.1196 H553d 2004

As of this moment neither is checked out. Just part of the friendly service you can expect from a librarian.

In stead of going to Amazon use these two sites to find the best price. They check dozens of sites covering thousand of dealers and then list the results for you.

http://www.addall.com/

http://www.allbookstores.com/
    Last edited by dr_cmg; February 9th, 2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Add Links
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Doc, you are DA MAN!

My wife works across the street from the downtown library ("Central")!

Thanks a ton!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Doc, you are DA MAN!

My wife works across the street from the downtown library ("Central")!

Thanks a ton!
    You got me interested in it too, and after I posted last night created an Interlibrary Loan request so that I can read it. We'll have to compare notes after reading it.

Having grown up about 10 miles from Selma, AL and going to high school in Selma in grades 9-12 (1962-1966) I lived through much of the trouble there. My mother's sister and her husband ran a some store a little more than a block from Brown's Chapel in Selma. Brown's Chapel is the site where the people who made the marches started. The Sunday that they state troopers turned them back we were at my aunt's house. They owned an entire corner. Their house faced one street and the store another. The building actually on the corner they rented out to a couple of business. The behind the house was a garage and running next to the store and the garage was an alley. You could see Brown's Chapel from the alley.

When we arrived that Sunday afternoon the street in front of the store was blocked and on both sides were Alabama State Trooper cars filled with troopers. It is strange that I really don't remember more than that. We went into my aunt's house and spent the afternoon talking to my grandfather who lived there. The march across the bridge and the attack by the troopers occurred while we were inside. When we left there were no trooper cars and no people on the street. It was only later that we found out what happened. My parents knew what was going on I'm sure, but I was a 17 year old high school junior who was too busy griping about having to go see his grandfather rather than his girl friend to notice anything beyond the end of my nose.

It was only later while at Auburn and at ROTC summer camp that I realized the difference that time had made. It was at Ft. Bragg, NC ROTC summer camp in 1969 that for the first time I realized people of other races were just that people. I don't know what I considered them before, but sleeping in the same barracks, pulling the same duty, doing the same things, and complaining about the same food made an impression on me. It demonstrated to me that people are people no matter the color of their skin. They have the same dreams and aspirations regardless of their racial background. I came away profoundly different.

Later in the Army I experienced some (a very small portion) of the prejudice that can be heaped upon a person just because he is the wrong color or comes from the wrong place. I was moving into an apartment near Ft. Knox, KY and was carrying a box when a young officer asked if I needed any help. I thanked him and said yes. He picked up a box and started up the stairs. About 4 or 5 steps up he asked where I was from. I answered that I was from Selma, AL. He turned around and looked at me as though I had two heads, sat the box down on the steps and walked away. I lived there for 4 months and he never even looked me in the face again. He was from Boston and evidently had an intense prejudice against people from Selma, AL even though, from what I learned from his roommate who was also from MA, he had never been further south than Ft. Knox and had never even met anyone from Alabama much less Selma.

A funny thing happened a second or two after he walked off. I was stuck I couldn't get around the box on the steps to take mine in and I couldn't put mine down because of the shape. I was just about to retreat to the bottom when a voice spoke from behind me in a warm southern accent. It said, "Looks like you've got a problem, sir. Could you use some help?" It was a young African-American E5 standing at the bottom of the steps. I replied that I could use a hand since the other person had walked off. The young E5 walked past me and got the box. As we were starting back down the steps he asked me where I was from. I decided I'd try one more time. I said Selma, AL. He said, "Sir, that's great! I'm from near Meridian, MS myself and it's great to meet somebody from home."

Needless to say these two event influence me greatly. I determined that in spite of where I was from and what anyone around me might think of it; I was going to judge men and women by their character and not by anything else. That decision has stood me in good stead for the past 36 years and I am sure it will continue to.

Reading some of the info about Deacons for Defense stirred an interest in knowing how these men worked to make our nation a better one. So I'm going to read it and hope to gain personally from their experience.

Did not mean to preach you a sermon, but I sometimes can't help it.

Have a good evening.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Heroes and fools come from all races and colors and speak all languages. I, too, experienced prejudice when kids used to tell me my Grandfather (he was Basque from Spain, but spoke Spanish, Basque, French and broken English) must be "retarded and stupid" because he couldn't speak English. My Father told me to go back and ask them if my Grandfather was retarded and stupid, how come he owns a ranch, a bank and the land around town, he can speak 3 languages and their Grandfathers worked for mine.

The Marine Corps showed me that it didn't make a difference if you were a light green Marine or a dark green Marine. We were all Marines and we would lay down our lives for each other.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Links