Book Review: Living With The 1911

This is a discussion on Book Review: Living With The 1911 within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Living With The 1911. A Fresh Look at the Fighting Gun, by Robert H. Boatman. Paladin Press, 7077 Wichester Circle, Boulder, CO 80301 ( www.paladin-press.com) ...

Thread: Book Review: Living With The 1911

1943 - 2009

Book Review: Living With The 1911

Living With The 1911. A Fresh Look at the Fighting Gun, by Robert H. Boatman. Paladin Press, 7077 Wichester Circle, Boulder, CO 80301 (www.paladin-press.com). 2005. 131 pages. PB. $25.00.

Why do we need another book about the 1911 pistol, you ask? After all, John Moses Browning's most famous design is nearing 100 years old, so what more could be said? Fair questions, both. With no fewer than 20 makers turning out (and selling) 1911 pattern pistols, the popularity of this quintessential self defense tool is at an all time high. As trainer Louis Awerbuck states (quoted in the book) "Every 10 years the .45 becomes fashionable again".

So, this book does indeed offer a fresh 21st century look at the early 20th century born 1911 pistol, combining facts, lore and social commentary. The author writes in a smooth, no nonsense, take no prisoners non-PC style that is both entertaining and informative. He makes good use of personal accounts of shooters who have "seen the elephant", as they say, using the 1911, including Jeff Cooper. The text is generously supplemented by high quality B/W photographs.

Chapter and verse:

The intro consists of a general historical overview of the 1911 pistol, the early days of Cooper's SW Pistol League and IPSC, the military retirement of the 1911 and its eventual resurgence, and the beginnings of the civilian concealed carry movement.

Chapter 1 discusses the calibers of the 1911, concluding that only three merit consideration: .45 ACP, .38 Super and .22 LR.

Chapter 2 is entitled "Condition One And Only". Self-explanatory.

In Chapter 3, the author makes his case for eliminating the grip safety on the 1911. He's convinced that the grip safety is an unnecessary, and even dangerous, part. I'm not convinced, so I'll leave my grip safety alone.

Chapter 4, "The Doctrine", is about Cooper's Modern Technique, the Weaver stance, and focusing on the front sight.

Chapter 5 is "Mind-Set". Also self-explanatory.

Chapter 6 covers training and competition.

Chapter 7 walks the reader through Course 250, Basic Defensive Pistol, at Gunsite Academy.

Chapter 8, "Ravings Of A Madman" recounts the author's interview with Louis Awerbuck, owner of Yavapai Firearms Academy.

Chapter 9, "Safety and Survival" tells of a senseless negligent discharge incident.

Chapter 10, entitled "Muzzle Flashes Of Insight" covers a variety of topics, from a ready position called "Position Sul" to a Kimber pistol that the author says is perfect except for one major flaw (no, I won't say what it is).

Chapter 11 covers tuning and gunsmithing the 1911.

The Big Three 1911 factories (Colt, Springfield Armory, & Kimber, not necessarily in that order) are covered in Chapter 12, then Chapter 13 covers the Big Three custom 1911 builders (Wilson, Baer & Brown), followed by S&W, Unertl, H&K and CZ in Chapter 14.

"The Future Of The Fighting Gun" is the subject of Chapter 15.

Chapter 16 is entitled "The 1911 As Art".

Finally, the addendum is entitled "Judging The Judges". This is a dissenting opinion by one of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals judges in the Silveira v. Lockyer case.

I like this book a lot. I have but 2 minor complaints. As mentioned, I disagree with the author's opinion on the 1911's grip safety. The other complaint is with the synopsis on the back cover, which asks the questions "What accessory should you never put on your 1911?" and "What 1911 feature did it take the U.S. Government 50 years to learn how to operate?" I could not find the answers to these questions in the book.

This book should be in very 1911 shooter's library. I'm not sure if it will convert andy "non-believers" because I don't really think it was intended for that purpose. The lesson of this book is: live with your gun. When that gun is a 1911, life is good.

Attached Images

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Good review ill have to look for this i seem to be suffering the 1911 bug again

DC Founder
    I am about ready to place an Amazon order and get that one and a couple of others reviewed here....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1943 - 2009
    Bumper & Bud,

When you read this book, see if you can find the answers to the 2 questions I mentioned in my second to last paragraph. I still can't find them.

I have a feeling I might be reading right over the anwers without realizing it. Senior moment, ya know.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    Bumper & Bud,

When you read this book, see if you can find the answers to the 2 questions I mentioned in my second to last paragraph. I still can't find them.

I have a feeling I might be reading right over the anwers without realizing it. Senior moment, ya know.
    Will do
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

No problem i might order it up this weekend .. but theres a gun show so maybe not ...lol

Glad I didn't reinvent the wheel. Just finished reading this excellent book (definitely a must for any 1911 fan or anyone interested in what the attraction might be). As I was getting ready to write a review, I thought I'd do a search and found this thread.

Thumbs up for a great 1911 book -
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

cheapest cost that I have found...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=810983
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I guess I need another book!
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter