book rant: "Idiot's Guide to Home Security"

This is a discussion on book rant: "Idiot's Guide to Home Security" within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A book caught my eye today at the library. I picked it up off the shelf, browsed through it for a couple minutes, then put ...

Thread: book rant: "Idiot's Guide to Home Security"

VIP Member

Thumbs down book rant: "Idiot's Guide to Home Security"

A book caught my eye today at the library. I picked it up off the shelf, browsed through it for a couple minutes, then put it back on the shelf. It was one of those "Idiots" guides (you know, the take off on the Dummies books?). It was the "Idiots Guide to Home Security".

Thinking perhaps it would be something I might want to look through, I decided the first thing to do was see if it was serious and had a section discussing firearms. Hmmm, nothing in the table of contents. Also nothing in the index under "firearm", "gun", "handgun" or "rifle". So I started looking around and found two references to guns in the "liability" chapter. One paragraph said you can't shoot someone running out of your house because it wouldn't be considered self defense. The next paragraph told the story of the British farmer that used a shotgun to shoot the burglar and got a long sentence for it. It didn't even explain why.

That's it. That's the entire text I could find regarding firearms in what was supposed to be a comprehensive, learning guide to "security". Two paragraphs. One saying don't shoot someone running away and the other saying a British guy got a long jail term for shooting someone.

How can an honest person say this is a "guide" if it leaves such a glaring hole in things you need to know. It's not like I was expecting to find an epiphany about guns in a book with "Idiots" in the title, but I'm always on the look out for little nuggets of wisdom or information that gives something a new light or angle.

As I already said, I put it back on the shelf and moved along. <sigh>
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Amazing what gets published!! Sounds like a UK author too.

Sad thing is - there are folks who are nieve enough to read and digest about anything - if it's in a book, in a media article or on the ''web'' - it must be fact! Great - let's follow this creedo!

I am cynically amused when I read the promo blurb for some security companies - they claim to alarm your house and so - make you safe and invulnerable. They leave out tho the chaotic and sudden home invasion - where no viable response time will be available to do other than go count the bodies!

Seems ''the gun'' is as usual either left out of the equation or villified out of existence! I'll stick to logic and common sense, with my appraisal of home security
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Pick up the "Idiot's Guide to Home Inavasion". I bet all that changed was the title.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Title: Idiots Guide to Self Defense"

Author: Kilme Kwickly

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess if you're an "idiot" you don't need to have a gun in the first place. These books have their place, but they are for people who have no idea on the subject in question. They are meant to give enough knowledge to let the reader know how to expand and elaborate on the subject. Which makes it a shame that they said nothing of the positive benifits of proper education and training of firearms use and their place in home security.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Title: Idiots Guide to Self Defense"

Author: Kilme Kwickly

That's good. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    I guess if you're an "idiot" you don't need to have a gun in the first place. These books have their place, but they are for people who have no idea on the subject in question. They are meant to give enough knowledge to let the reader know how to expand and elaborate on the subject. Which makes it a shame that they said nothing of the positive benifits of proper education and training of firearms use and their place in home security.
    That's what I was thinking. You'd think there would be at least part of a chapter that talked about getting a gun and learning how to use it. But who am I?
    eschew obfuscation

In today's world of gated communities, security is more sought after than ever. Most new home owners think about installing a home security system shortly after moving in, but are confused by the maze of choices available. This guide tells you all you need to know about keeping your home and family safe. The author, a former FBI agent and security expert, gives you the skinny on everything from basic systems to inexpensive measures you can install yourself. He also tells parents what's legal and what's not in the area of nanny-cams and monitoring.
    I have heard very few "Security Experts" publicly suggest using a Firearm. The NYC cop on NBC that does all the crime stuff, like breaking in to houses to show how easy it is... is the only guy I have ever seen on national TV say anything about firearms, and that was only in response to a direct question. He's reply was good... something like, "Firearms in the hands of a trained user are a great last resort, the trick is to do everything possible to make sure you never will need to use a firearm..."

What's that guys name?

He also did a thing where he was kidnapping a little girl on the street in NYC. She was screaming "Leave me alone, your not my dad, help" and all the people where just walking on by... not even looking.

What do y'all expect? The author was quite honest & upfront about being an IDIOT! It sez so right there on the book's cover.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    It was meant for idiots, do you really want idiots to carry guns? Look what happens when you elect them!! In fact they should also get only safety sccisors and plastic knives.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    It was meant for idiots, do you really want idiots to carry guns? Look what happens when you elect them!! In fact they should also get only safety sccisors and plastic knives.

Colin, sometimes I wonder about even those tools. Somehow we need to find something with which they can only hurt themselves. But I guess if you can hurt yourself, you can hurt someone else. Maybe we could only let them play with Kenny G cassette tapes. Those can't hurt much...unless you are driving at the time of use.
    eschew obfuscation

I can see several reason why the author didn't (bother to) extrapulate on firearms. He doesn't know diddly abou them? He's anti-gun? He's worried about liability issues? He cringes at the thought of anyone who would buy such a title carrying a firearm? The book is targeted at [strike]idiots[/strike] neophytes? The use of the defensive pistol is a book all it's own & I personally think it could be irresponsible to give people information that they can use in this case.

The problem here isn't even this particular book. Very few books on "security" are going to cover defensive firearms in any real detail. I think this is partly because most people looking to "secure" aren't likely to think that far ahead anyhow. They want something that will keep them safe so they don't have to think at all actually. Sometimes the title tells the story. I've read some books by alleged "experts" that likely had little more worthwhile information.

The author is likely a former FBI (or other agency), & "security expert". The book will be more of a threat assessment manual that anything else. This is useful - possibly even more useful than the title subject would be - for the majority of people. True idiots ordinarily don't give this subject a first thought.

Most people that I talk to consider the firearm as a personal protection tool, and not a home security tool. I don't even consider my firearms as a home security devise.

When I think home security, I think of the physical aspect of the home and how to secure it and its holdings. While I do own and would use my firearms in a home invasion they are, in my mind, a protection layer. My goal in home security is to keep the uninvited out. Once my uninvited guest is in, home security has failed and we now have come to home defense. This is when and where the firearms come to play.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Hardening and layering of a perimeter are vastly different than firearms tactics. Basically, if you properly address your environment, your potential need for violent interaction is reduced. If I want to harden my home, I want to read about door frames and window casements, not caliber penetration of sheetrock.

No different than LE- doormen aren't snipers, shield has different perspective than the fellows on the stack. If there's good info, take it, if not...

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I have never understood why those "idiot's guide to..." or "...for dummies" titles were ever invented or how they can possibly boost sales with such inane titles. My first reaction is "well, I am neither an idiot nor a dummy, so that book's not intended for me".

Links