Defensive Carry banner

Review: Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dean407 
#1 ·
# Paperback: 152 pages
# Publisher: Paladin Press; Illustrate edition (July 2001)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 1581601433
# ISBN-13: 978-1581601435

Full Title:

"Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight"

Amazon Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Speed-Shooting-High-Speed-Marksmanship/dp/1581601433/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-4091540-6501735?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188016263&sr=8-1

Andy's school:
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com/

Review:

It's important to understand I am a newbie to firearms and therefore I'm enthusiastic to soak up info like a sponge.

This is a very good easy to read in one sitting book! 4 out of 5 stars.

I think this is especially good to get if you ARE a relative newbie to concealed carry.

Andy Stanford seems to have solid experience and therefore, he has solid opinions. The first part of the book is putting a case in for the modern isosceles stance being superior to the Weaver stance due to body mechanics.

From there, the book puts forth Andy's idea of solid basics such as, Grip, Stance, Aiming, Trigger Control, Follow-Through, One Handed Shooting, Shooting While Moving, Loading and Unloading, Reloading and clearing malfunctions, Defensive Draw Stroke, and finally...Tactical Ready Positions.

I picked up a LOT of useful information! I mean...LOADS and GOBS of stuff I can start to use right away

Stuff I came away with...

Today I went to the range and fired my two guns- Beretta PX4 and HK P2000SK. Frustrated by my pathetic Double Actions shots (both guns are DA/SA) I started to do something that now I know is a good thing to do- staging the trigger.

Another thing I keep questioning is my grip. I kept changing it. I HAVE SMALL HANDS. So...I wondered if it was better to have more finger for the trigger or have the bore pointed straight down my arm to my elbow. One way that felt more comfortable didn't give me the amount of finger I needed to feel OK with the DA trigger, and the other way felt a bit awkward...giving up maybe a bit of grip.

Now I know it's more important to have the best finger control I can.

He goes into detail about the grip and why he recommends what he does. There are pictures to clarify things.

Another thing is that for combat shooting a quick sight picture is a must- but also to focus more so on the threat instead of the front sight.

He recommends big dot XS sights...

http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

Most practice targets are crap and standing static in a lane shooting at a huge flat target is limiting to say the least.

However, if that's all that is available I will focus on fast 'fist sized' groups with my CCW gun.

LUCKILY, I'm near a gun range that has 'Practical to Tactical' informal competitions every week and will go to watch (required) this Monday and go to shoot the Monday after.

Cool thing is that his school is headquartered just an hour and a half from me and prices (if same on website) are VERY reasonable compared to the larger schools like GUNSITE, etc...

I picked up many other things from this book and recommend it strongly. It's an inexpensive easy read to boot!

I am wondering how much experienced people would get out of this book though. It may be a little basic for people who have taken any sort of solid training beyond the basic NRA pistol safety course.

Newbies should give this a read though, for sure!

See less See more
#3 ·
# Paperback: 152 pages
Cool thing is that his school is headquartered just an hour and a half from me and prices (if same on website) are VERY reasonable compared to the larger schools like GUNSITE, etc...
I think his OPS website is abandoned...I'm pretty sure he moved away from FLA...maybe to CA?

Still, it's a great class if you can find it. Search on "FLA training" in this board; you have many other options in state.

#5 ·
It's a good book. His competition roots are clearly evident in his style advice (which is good). I too am a reformed Weaver shooter. <g>

If you like Stafford's book and you're a new shooter, you might consider Matt Burkett's first offering (lessons 1-3). It is geared for USPSA, but it covers ALL the basics--how to grip the gun, how to get consistant with it from a draw, reloads, and controlled pairs (there is no such thing as a 'double tap' after all).

When you make "B" class in USPSA, pick up Brian Enos' "Beyond Fundamentals". The three will dovetail beautifully! By way of advice, don't get Enos' book until you think you're well along. It won't mean a thing until you know what questions he's answering. ;)

HK Dan

#6 ·
I've met Andy Stafford on a couple of occasions. Nice guy. I bought the book. Enjoyed it. I was surprised to discover that the folks in my IDPA club who also know him are unimpressed. They seem to think he's big on repeating information already distributed by other bigger name instructors. It's well written. IMHO, even if he is repeating previously published data, well that's okay. He does do a good job of explaining many of these techniques. I mean, I teach HISTORY. Obviously everything I teach is already known. The degree to which my students learn is the measure of my ability to teach. I see Stafford in the same light.

#7 ·
I have little interest in competing. I'm all about practicle self defense.

While he may repeat info, the same can be stated for 99.999% of everything.

The manner in which it is presented and clarity of reasoning is what counts, IMO.

Also, he's the first exposure to this sort of training, so to me it isn't the same ol stuff told in a different way.

Good stuff- to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.