Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist

This is a discussion on Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just thought some of you might like to know about this book coming out in October by former NRA lobbyist Richard Feldman. I pre-ordered the ...

Thread: Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist

Just thought some of you might like to know about this book coming out in October by former NRA lobbyist Richard Feldman. I pre-ordered the book the other day and Mr. Feldman personally responded to thank me for ordering it. He said they should be ready for delivery mid-October. Being that my master's thesis will have something to do with concealed carry, I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Reprinted from http://www.thegunzone.com/

The Armchair Pistolero Reviews...

Ricochet

Richard Feldman's eagerly-awaited "Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist"
    Richard J. Feldman Disclosure: I once enjoyed a front row seat watching Richie Feldman fight against the anti-gun forces of darkness. In early 1986, when the Sheriff of Suffolk County (NY), a hack out of the Queens Oirish Democratic clubhouse who changed his registration and got elected to a series of offices as a Republican, refused to allow civilians to own the then new Glock 17 pistols, I went to war with pen and paper.

Gun Owners of America referred my letter of outrage to the estimable Mark Benenson1, Esq., of New York City, who sent me copies of relevant case law explaining that handgun licensing authorities could impose just about any restrictions they wanted on a licensee, as long as it was done uniformly.

Jeff Cooper wrote back that he would bring it up at the next NRA Board meeting.

Other gun rights groups, those who responded at all, made sympathetic noises and wished me well.

NRA-ILA physically sent Feldman who had two conversations with Sheriff Eugene Dooley. The first in October of '86, explained that Dooley's "determination" was based on demonstrably erroneous information2, and outlined the position that, case law be damned, just because he could do something didn't necessarily mean he should do it.

The Sheriff was non-committal, so when nothing had moved forward by the new year, Feldman spoke with Dooley again, and put it very simply: stop the crap about Glocks, let Speir and others transfer them to whoever has a license and wants one, or we're going to take you to court and pull your pants down.

Dooley folded his weak hand within the month, and Glocks became "civilian-legal " in Soffolk Country more than a year before they did in New York City.

I've been a great admirer of Richard Feldman, the savvy... dare I say "pushy..." Jewish-kid-from-the-Five-Towns ever since! I think the "pushy" is what I like the most. That, and one of his credos: "You fight fire with napalm!" He got it done!
    Ricochet When I first learned that Richie Feldman was working on a book about the inner-workings of the "gun lobby," I was intrigued given his credentials as the NorthEast representative for the National Rifle Associations' Institute for Legislative Action, and the founding Executive Director of the American Shooting Sports Coalition.

The subtitle of Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist, gave me brief pause, but not to worry, I told myself, if Feldman's gone over to the other side, the way that former Guns & Ammo editor Whit Collins and Feldman's successor at ASSC, Bob Ricker, had, then the end of the world for gun owners was right around the corner.

I need not have worried. Never mind how the NRA will react to the publication of this book, the name Richard Feldman will never be seen in the same column as those of Sarah Brady, Josh Sugarmann, Tom Diaz and Kirsten Rand, professional "gun-grabbers" to a one.

As a professional lobbyist, Feldman is... not to confuse the issue but the metaphor is especially appropriate here... a "gun for hire." By the great stone balls of Harlon Carter, back in the late '70s, he went to work on the Massachusetts gubernatorial campaign of Sheriff John J. Buckley3, the co-founder of an outfit called "People vs. Handguns." [Mercifully defunct, but Boo Hiss!]

After reading the book, more than anything else, Feldman comes off as someone who has majored in life as a "politics junkie," with a minor in firearms enthusiasm. Rather than popping at soda cans with his favorite five-inch N-frame Smith & Wesson in his New Hampshire backyard, Feldman gets more of a "bang" engaging someone or some group in a political discourse, and achieving some objective which will benefit a client he represents or a cause to which he has signed on.

CORE co-founder and NRA Director Roy Innis, ibstrumental in helping Bernie Goetz get justice Feldman managed to get what he considered his "dream job" with the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action smack in the middle of the Reagan years, and was very involved with the passage, after an uphill seven year battle4, of the desperately-needed McClure-Volkmer5 antidote to the Gun Control Act of 1968, the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. He was also on point for NRA-ILA when a threatened young New Yorker fought back on a Manhattan subway train, and his book not only delves into the behind-the-scenes strategy sessions which went into making the name "Bernie Goetz" a cause celeb, but documents the heretofore unheralded role of Congress of Racial Equality National Chairman Roy Innis in the fight against the media demonization of Goetz as "just another wacko with a gun."

Wayne LaPierre Ricochet also chronicles the rise, and often fall (and sometimes even re-birth), of many of the familiar names within the NRA and the gun rights movement: Harlon Carter (the architect of the NRA-as-a-political-force to whom Feldman dedicates his book), firebrand Neal Knox6, Wayne LaPierre, James Jay Baker, G. Ray Arnett, "Toxic" Tanya Metaksa, J. Warren Cassidy, Marion Hammer and, of course, "Moses" himself, the unprecidented five-time NRA President Charlton Heston.

It also reveals how the increasingly powerful public relations firm of Ackerman-McQueen came to first represent the NRA, and ultimately... and insidiously... take it over7 and effectively not just undermine, but completely negate the gains made by the organization's rank 'n' file in the celebrated Members Revolt at the 1977 annual meeting in Cincinnati.

There was a pretty decent hatchet job done on the NRA in the mid-'90s, Money, Firepower & Fear by gun control wunderkind Josh Sugarmann, who was reasonably on-target with much of his information, albeit from a completely wrong-headed viewpoint. Feldman's book, while hardly a hatchet job, is unerringly in the X-ring, and what makes it so effective a criticism of how the NRA has evolved, is that Feldman's viewpoint is as right-minded as Sugarmann's was wrong. He clearly has a bitter taste in his mouth in recalling the back-stabbing and double-crossing by those, including some he felt were friends, on both sides of whatever issue was under discussion.

One of his more telling points, well-detailed, is that the unspoken philosophy of the current leadership of NRA can be encapsulated as:
    'Tis Better To Fight Than Win.8
    When a deranged George Hennard crashes into a Texas cafeteria and murders twenty-two people with a pair of handguns amd wounds a sore of others, or a lunatic Gian Luigi Ferry runs amok with handguns in a San Francisco law office and kills seven innocents and wounds six more, of primary importance to NRA is that the resulting anti-gun frenzy in the media and concomitant political posturing by elected officials, is little more than another fund-raising opportunity of the organization.

But where Feldman really ran afoul of NRA hegemony was as Executive Director of the American Shooting Sports Council (née Coalition), the firearm industry's trade association for government relations. He and his staff and some key members of the group executed a sharp maneuver which headed off a Clinton administration legislative initiative which would have made dealer-provided safety locks mandatory with every firearm transaction.

The exact moment came at "0930 hours of Thursday, 9 October 19979," in the White House Rose Garden. Feldman and members of ASSC gathered with Clinton, the Chief Executive generally accorded to be the most anti-gun President in history, as the firearms industry group announced its members would "...institute company policies of providing safety devices with all handguns shipped in the United States."

Others who had not been part of this industry initiative, especially Wayne LaPierre and ILA's James Jay Baker for whom the loss of the Clinton legislative threat meant the loss of fund-raising opportunities for NRA, threw a fit and made Feldman a marked man.

The book concludes with details of how the newest threat to firearms ownership rose with the filing of municipal lawsuits against the gun industry and how this ultimately and circuitiously led to the dissolution of ASSC and its absorbtion by the National Shooting Sports Foundation10.

Having already branded him a traitor for orchestrating the Rose Garden trigger locks legislation ceremony while he was the Executive Director of ASSC, NRA hierarchy and their minions will immediately go on the attack against Feldman, if they haven't already done so, and attempt to "spin" Ricochet as "sour grapes" and dismiss its author as "a disgruntled former employee." Hey, that's their absolute right, #1, and, #2, what else are they going to do?!? They'd be hard-pressed to call him a liar, although they might quibble with some of the details.

I, as a thoroughly disgruntled NRA Life Member who still hasn't forgotten, or forgiven, among other things:

* Wayne LaPierre's unauthorized "fire sale" of premium memberships11 in the mid-'90s...anyone who had ever paid "full boat" for a their Endowment, Patron or Benefactor Membership should have called for and demanded LaPierre's removal;
    * Ms. "Take No Prisoners" Metaksa allowing herself to be chumped by Congressman Chuck Schumer at the August 1994 House Judiciary Committee hearings on "assault weapons." When Schumer, brandishing a Tec-9 and asking if she was going to testify that NRA members used them for hunting, she paused, then stammered in response, "Uhhh, yes." You could have turned C-SPAN off right there and started stocking up on semi-automatic firearms and PVC piping. Metaksa should have found the locks changed when she got back to NRA HQ.

Former NRA President Marion Hammer

* Marion Hammer's outrageous action at the 1998 Annual Membership meeting in Philadelphia when, following a nod from NRA public relations consultant Angus McQueen, she turned the audience microphones off, immediately disenfranchising the attendees and not permitting any Member resolutions to be offered, and silencing Neal Knox who was responding to an ad hominem attack from the dais by Wayne LaPierre. So much for the First Amendment at an NRA Members meeting.

...have every confidence that Feldman's critical assessment is as the British say, "spot on."

In a more perfect world enough of the NRA's plus/minus four million members would read this book and demand that the Board of Directors actually regain control of the organization from the cynical and obscenely well-compensated staff12 and entrenched sole-source, no-bid vendors, and get it back to the business of best representing the membership's Second Amendment interests.

Good job, Richie Feldman! Even since you faced down that political hack Eugene Dooley who was parading around as the Suffolk County Sheriff I've never doubted that you had it in you!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I would rather have faith in the overall intent of the NRA to protect our gun rights and to publicly call anti-gun lies for what they are, than get so wrapped up in a lobbyist's tell-all scandal collection.

Right from the outset, this review speaks of Feldman as a guy who would have fought on the anti-gun side if they'd been the ones writing the checks, and that he's a guy who lives for the thrill of the political in-fighting, not for the actual principle at stake.

So this book sounds to me like it's going to be written for the sake of spilling tales that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's just a prurient gawk at stuff that was of course going to go on behind the scenes, and would in any organization.

But what Feldman alleges is to be gained by the publication of all of this, I haven't the foggiest idea. I've never been an NRA insider, and don't want to be. People who get off on the nitty gritty of that kind of stuff, the politics and the alliances and the back-stabbing and the wheedling for control--they disgust me. I know that Marion Hammer has been a JUGGERNAUT for pushing for good laws in Florida (and elsewhere). Anyone who wants to badmouth her has an uphill climb if he wants to convince me he has worthwhile, germane stuff to say about the ins and outs of the "gun lobby."

I look upon this book (based on this review) with a jaundiced eye.

Anyone who wants to claim we'd still have ANYTHING we could call "gun rights" if it were not for the NRA, please get off the drugs, they're making your mind into mush.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Anyone who wants to claim we'd still have ANYTHING we could call "gun rights" if it were not for the NRA, please get off the drugs, they're making your mind into mush.
    Once again, you have cut to the heart of the matter.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

"I look upon this book (based on this review) with a jaundiced eye."

Very good statement. i won't be looking at the book.

Where would our "gun rights" be without the NRA? Probably in the white porcelain circular file...I don't believe there has ever been any organization that I was part of that did everything as I would have. I believe they have accomplished the greater good for gun owners...and hope they continue.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Sponsored Links