Review: Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols & Revolvers

This is a discussion on Review: Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols & Revolvers within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My future son-in-law (another gun lover) gave me a book for Father's Day. It is Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols & Revolvers, by A. E. Hartnik. ...

Thread: Review: Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols & Revolvers

DC Founder

Review: Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols & Revolvers

My future son-in-law (another gun lover) gave me a book for Father's Day. It is Complete Encyclopedia Of Pistols & Revolvers, by A. E. Hartnik. It's a fairly small book, which a few reviews on Amazon has called a coffee table book, but I would say it was simply a very well illustrated reference book for those of us that love pistols and revolvers. While I know the major handguns out there, sometimes I want to see what a particular model looks like or what the specifications are on it. Ever since getting this little book, which I keep on my desk, I can look it up quickly and see a high quality photo (slick, glossy pages) along with it's technical specifications. There are also several chapters on safety systems, locking systems, ammunition, and exploded drawings on some of the more common firearms.

If you are interested in something like this, you might thumb through one at your local bookstore. It is well worth the $20 cover price, even if you don't get it as a gift.

Here's an Amazon link to this particular book. Based on Bud's reviewing system, this book is a 5
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

I have this book. I picked it up for $4 some time ago from a B. Dalton clearance bin. That said, it's in here in this pile of crap somehere and I have no idea where.

It's... all right. It's sorta interesting. I really liked the histories of the various makers that's included. I also like the summary of some of the developments in handguns over time, and I liked the way the author simply catalogs and does not judge.

Part of the problem with something like this though is that it's so ambitious in its scope it's always going to dissappoint a little bit.

Worth $4. But I wouldn't give you $20. This forum will give you a better rundown on any firearm you may become curious about for free if that's what you're really looking for.

It is neat to have though because if you're like me, you don't actually own a Glock or a Sig or a Springfield... well wait I actually do own one of those now but the point is you can at least have some clue what people are talking about when they start going on about something you've never had yourself.

The one time I can see it being really useful is if you had someone who was considering their very first serious handgun. It's like a primer to the handgun market, and let's face it the handgun market is a little over(under)whelming sometimes and not in a Red Label way.

I'd call it a 3.5, maybe a 4 if you actually have a need for it.

Administrator

Sounds Great

AND...over 400 pages!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

With all respect to Bumper I have the feeling the kid is going to get his $20 back and more. Bumper may have just the great .45 he is looking for.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    With all respect to Bumper I have the feeling the kid is going to get his $20 back and more. Bumper may have just the great .45 he is looking for.
    LOL, yeah, he most certainly will before it is all over with, as long as he never hits our daughter. I already told him if that happens I will hunt him to the end of the earth....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links