New Stephen Hunter Novel

This is a discussion on New Stephen Hunter Novel within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For all you Stephen Hunter fans, (and if you're a shooter, you should be) his latest Bob Lee Swagger novel, titled The 47th Samurai is ...

Thread: New Stephen Hunter Novel

1943 - 2009

Thumbs up New Stephen Hunter Novel

For all you Stephen Hunter fans, (and if you're a shooter, you should be) his latest Bob Lee Swagger novel, titled The 47th Samurai is just out. Put this book on your must-read list.

In this one, Bob Lee trades in his sniper rifles for Japanese swords. The action is fast, furious and gory. Not much gun-play, but what there is, it is accurately portrayed, like all of his novels.

If you've never read Stephen Hunter, look him up at your local library. You won't be disappointed.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Sweet! I'm a big Hunter fan.

Pale Horse Coming has to be my favorite but I like the Bob Lee novels as well.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

JD
    Administrator
    Swords? In what time period does this occur? Stephen Hunter likes to shift around a little, where in the time line of the Swaggers would this one fall? before Point of Impact? After Time to Hunt? Somewhere in the middle?

One of my favorite writers! You think you know what's goin' on - you don't! Read Stephen Hunter even if you don't like to read, you will be converted.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

JD
    Administrator
    N/M I just read THIS review which answered most of my questions.

I wasn't overly thrilled with Havana, but I loved all his other books, I just started re-reading Point of Impact.

VIP Member
    Finished this book yesterday and loved it. I enjoyed learning about the Japanese swords and style of fighting. Good stuff.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I read this book last week and will echo the comments...very entertaining!
    It inspired me to dig out my DVD copy of The Seven Samurai and watch it tonight...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

As a student of Aikido and Mugai-ryu Iaido/kenjutsu training in the land of its birth, I look forward to how accurate (or not) Stephen Hunter gets the swordsmanship and culture...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

I wasnt familar with Hunter's work so got 'Time to Hunt', abridged unfortunately, thru audible.com. Reading is excruiatingly slow and difficult due to bothched lasik and cornea transplants.

I'm hooked. Listening to 'Hot Springs' now.

Following site briefly provides content of each book and tries to place them in overall chronological sequence.

http://www.stephenhunter.net/faq.html
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In this one, Bob Lee trades in his sniper rifles for Japanese swords.
    SACRLIAGE Not that " Bob the Nailer " couldnt handle an overgrown pocketknife , but dayumm lol .

Edited to add: I have not talked to hunter in a year or so , but maby just maby he wrote this one as a screenplay. Shooter was not done as well as it could have been , but ok ... maby he wrote this one with movie in mind .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I've got a couple of Katanas and there is something about their workmanship. 1 is 1934 Japanese Army pattern Gunto with an older traditionally forged blade the other is a modern sword. There is something about a great piece of steel. Too bad in Oklahoma you cannot carry a sword unless you dress in a costume that goes with it. I've also got a 12th century Del Tin arming sword, a 1548 Angus Trim cut and thrust two handed and another Del Tin Rapier. Swords and guns go together like ham and eggs. I'm reading a book called The Black Arrow by Vin Suprynowicz and he is into the Ayn Rand style of government gone bad writing. He writes about going back to using bow and arrows and swords to take back the government after the government set up gun shot detectors all over major cities to direct the cops to the site of each shot.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Forgot about this thread...

I read the book a few weeks ago and found it very entertaining and enjoyable to read (like all of Hunter's stuff). Definately worth checking out.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Links