Another Good Read: The Gift of Fear

This is a discussion on Another Good Read: The Gift of Fear within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The book is good for most the concepts. I find him going a little overboard in a couple places about owning a weapon as a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Good Read: The Gift of Fear

The book is good for most the concepts. I find him going a little overboard in a couple places about owning a weapon as a "PIN" for violence. Just because I own a gun that doesn't make me "dangerous". He also has a bias that if your male your automatically dangerous.

He has a real "weak spot" in his discounting the fact that a female could be just as dangerous and stereotyping females as always the victim.

He was shot at by his step-father when he was 10 years old. That turned him to anti vice learning about guns and protecting himself. Same story as Bill Clinton, see any parallels???

I have fond memories of shooting with my father at a young age of 6 years old, owning a shotgun that my grandfather gave me at 8 years old. Yes I was allowed to keep it in my room with shotgun shells at 8 years old, I even slept with it, seemed more appropiate than a teddy bear. So of course I see guns in a different light.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I think his childhood is a big determining factor on his attitude towards guns. I think he's based in CA, so that can't help, either.

I really don't blame his attitude towards guns, based on the violent past he relates in his books. It's easy enough to ignore that bit, and take the 'good stuff' from his material.

I find the information people have posted about his company's employees being armed, though, but business is business, and money makes monkeys of us all.

My score still stands

-JT

I'm half way through it. Very good info. Our brains are slow to come out of "safe mode." I believe we have to train our minds not to deny reality when faced with a threat. Hesitation can be deadly. It also is human nature.

In the early 90's I was "befriended" by a con man who led me around by the nose for a few days. He was "textbook" in his tactics. It's good to know the tactics, recognize them, and take appropriate action. The lesson was worth what it cost me. I am fascinated with the sociopathic mind. I study them the way they study their intended victims. They are so easy to spot it's downright laughable. They all do the same crap.

I assumed the author was anti gun as soon as I read about his Oprah endorsement. You can apply his principals even to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Muxtek View Post
    In the early 90's I was "befriended" by a con man who led me around by the nose for a few days. He was "textbook" in his tactics. It's good to know the tactics, recognize them, and take appropriate action. The lesson was worth what it cost me. I am fascinated with the sociopathic mind. I study them the way they study their intended victims. They are so easy to spot it's downright laughable. They all do the same crap.
    Such as???
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Such as???
    What I refer to are the things discussed in The Gift of Fear. For example, too much information. They will say things you will likely believe are true in an attempt to quickly build credibility and trust. The author fires off the list better than I can. He really has the socio's figured out. Everyone should read this book.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I feel that the whole thing is mis labled and were we to be honest it would be the gift of anger . We know that to protect ( our wives , our children , our husbands ) we must be angry and when we are angry we will reach for the tool that works .. many times that is a firearm. Now i mention that this anger is not the same anger of " my girlfriend dumped me " ect.. but the gift is anger ... YOU WILL NOT DO THIS TO ME OR MINE . is fine . carry everyday , if you a lady carry everyday and everywhere . No one has a right to violate you , and no liberal has a right to violate your thoghts , or maby i should say seduce ..
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I feel that the whole thing is mis labled and were we to be honest it would be the gift of anger . We know that to protect ( our wives , our children , our husbands ) we must be angry and when we are angry we will reach for the tool that works .. many times that is a firearm. Now i mention that this anger is not the same anger of " my girlfriend dumped me " ect.. but the gift is anger ... YOU WILL NOT DO THIS TO ME OR MINE . is fine . carry everyday , if you a lady carry everyday and everywhere . No one has a right to violate you , and no liberal has a right to violate your thoughts , or maby i should say seduce ..
    A good book about using defensive anger is Gabe Suarez The Defensive Mindset. The gift of Fear is about using one's intuition to identify a threat masquerading as a non-threat. A lady has a harder time taking defensive action if she's already drank the GHB. The book is about knowing the spike is there in time to "accidently" spill it, then leave.

Yet ANOTHER good read!

I'm about half way through a book by Gavein De Becker entitled, "The Gift of Fear". He speaks at length about using our intuition. I'm giving it two thumbs up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links