Defensive Carry banner

Book Review, Lone Survivor

5K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Bark'n 
#1 ·
Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell, with Patrick Robinson. Little, Brown & Company. 2007. 390 pages. Available from Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble.

This book should appeal to every patriotic American who supports the U.S. Armed Forces and the sacrifices they make to keep us safe. Parts of this book can't be read with a dry eye.

Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell is the only survivor of a four man U.S. Navy SEAL team who battled Taliban forces in northern Afghanistan's Hindu Kush Mountains in June 2005. The action, which became known as the battle of Murphy's Ridge, is named for Lieutenant Michael Murphy, the team leader who was killed in action and earned the Medal Of Honor for his heroism.

Luttrell, who earned the Navy Cross, describes the battle and the deaths of his teammates in graphic detail. Seriously wounded, he fought and evaded the Taliban for four days, then was taken in by friendly Afghan villagers, before being rescued (to his good natured chagrin) by U.S. Army Rangers.

This book will make you proud of our military forces wherever they serve fighting the worldwide war on terror, and greatful that there are, and were, men like Marcus Luttrell and Michael Murphy, fighting that war, and doing their duty.

Highly recommended. Don't miss it.

See less See more
#6 ·
agreed...Awesome story.

#7 ·
Sounds like a good read - I'll put it to the top of the list. I was in A-stan at the time, and had worked with many of the NAVSOF guys there a number of times... This was a sad day.

I wonder if the title - aside from being descriptive of the author's situation - is a further nod to the Rangers? The last line of the Ranger Creed is, after all, "...though I be the lone survivor."

#8 ·
I forgot to mention that I also read the book. Great reading and Petty Officer Luttrell does not pull any punches. A Must Read!

#9 ·
Saw PO Luttrell on most of the talk shows including O'Reilly. Always planned on getting the book but have been putting it off.

Just finished buying a new hardback copy on ebay with 2 day shipping. Looking forward to it's arrival!

I expect it will be every bit a heartwrenching story as "We were soldiers once... and young" by Lt. Gen. Hal Moore. To date, one of my favorites.

For those of you who have have only seen the Mel Gibson movie... I highly recommend the book!

Thanks for the review Capt. It got me off my butt and got it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.