Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist

This is a discussion on Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread was previously written about it, with an interesting description of the book's contents, but I don't think it was really given much attention. ...

Thread: Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist

This thread

was previously written about it, with an interesting description of the book's contents, but I don't think it was really given much attention.

Today I was killing time at Borders when I saw this book by Richard Feldman, "Ricochet: Confessions of a Gun Lobbyist" on the rack. Took it down and started flipping pages. For those of you who don't know anything, I'd suggest reading the first post in the linked thread. The skinny is that Feldman was an effective and high-ranking lobbyist for the NRA who has grown disillusioned with the upper echelons of the organization.

What makes it interesting is that Feldman's disillusionment does not stem from an "anti-gun" conversion... rather, his 2A commitment (at least, he claims) drove him to turn his back on the upper levels of the organization.

Feldman's basic thesis is that the in the last decade, the NRA has essentially sacrificed its original purpose for political power, clout, and money. He claims that the NRA -- which, no doubt, successfully saved RKBA in the past -- has been, in the last 10ish years, sold out by its leadership... that those at the highest level have chosen the path to generate the most controversy (read: money) rather than the safest protection for 2A. If 2A is safe, we stop giving tons of cash to the NRA, but if it is threatened, we'll give it in tons.

I didn't read much, and would be curious to see if anyone else has. I want to reiterate that his point does not seem to be against the NRA's past achievements or most of the organization itself... only that the most recent leadership at the highest levels in the NRA has done a better job at making money than at protecting the second amendment. I think it should be given a fair read, especially if you are one who gives money to the NRA. Make sure you are spending that money in the way that will best defend the RKBA!

Then again, for all I know it could be a sly ploy by the anti-gun folks to cripple the most powerful 2A advocate in the nation...
    Last edited by biasedbulldog; January 12th, 2008 at 05:10 AM. Reason: html
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Links