Self Defense Books, DVD Recommendations

This is a discussion on Self Defense Books, DVD Recommendations within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My last thread I asked about this info, which I labeled Chokes, arm bars, blah blah.....went sort of wrong, so I am going to try ...

Thread: Self Defense Books, DVD Recommendations

My last thread I asked about this info, which I labeled Chokes, arm bars, blah blah.....went sort of wrong, so I am going to try this again.

I am not wanting to learn martial arts, nor do I have the time to. I would like to get some material in the form of books and DVD's that demonstrate good self defense techniques. I am not a fight starter so I dont need to know in depth fighting skills. I would like to learn technicues that will put me at a greater odds if some punk or mugger or drunk when we are out starts trouble with us. My wife will also be learning from this. There is so much books and DVD's out there, I dont want to buy a bunch of useless junk. Suggestions?
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

first off, I apologize for my contribution to the thread-drift in the other topic you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage
    I am not wanting to learn martial arts, nor do I have the time to.

...I am not a fight starter so I dont need to know in depth fighting skills.
    Frankly, these comments worry me. While I can't read your mind, it seems to me that you are looking for a "quick fix" to a problem that is anything but simple. You're asking for someone to say "buy this DVD/book and it will tell you exactly what you need to do."

There are a couple of problems with this:
    • "...I am not a fight starter so I dont need to know in depth fighting skills." I would submit that it is because we are not typically the ones who initiate action (in other words, the BG often makes the first move) that we have to train so much. We have to be able to successfully negotiate the initial attack and then counterattack.
    • As far as wanting some "chokes, arm-bars, etc." to deal with a problem, I don't feel that this is the best approach. It is my opinion that manipulation techniques (joint-locks, etc.) are less intuitive, take longer to learn, and require more effort to maintain than striking techniques. In other words, when dealing with someone who's not cooperating, it's easier to beat the crap out of them that it is to use the cute little joint locks. As a result, I feel that trying to learn manipulation techniques from a video is a sub-optimal course of action. There are things that will only come across if you have an instructor there to make corrections and show you the fine points of the techniques.

As to my recommendation for DVD's, I'll repeat my suggestion that you should check out Kelly McCann's combatives series (I posted the link in the other thread). The material demonstrated is simple and straightforward and covers topics including: Striking, some basic takedowns, takedown defense, some groundfighting techniques, basic stickfighting, knife defense and gun disarms. Now when I say "basic," I don't mean "bad," I mean techniques that are easy to learn and have a pretty good chance of success in a violent encounter with the average attacker.

I'd also HIGHLY recommend "Practical Unarmed Combat" by "Soutnarc" (my review of this DVD is in this section of the forum).

good luck.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Frankly, these comments worry me. While I can't read your mind, it seems to me that you are looking for a "quick fix" to a problem that is anything but simple. [*] As far as wanting some "chokes, arm-bars, etc." to deal with a problem, I don't feel that this is the best approach. It is my opinion that manipulation techniques (joint-locks, etc.) are less intuitive, take longer to learn, and require more effort to maintain than striking techniques.
    +1 IMO, I agree holds or methods of restraint are generally advanced techniques. It is simpler to teach incapacitating moves i.e. breaking bones and dislocating joints. It all takes training & practice. I think that books & DVDs seem most helpful to those who have had some training from a real life instructor to build off of.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I think that books & DVDs seem most helpful to those who have had some training from a real life instructor to build off of.
    Agreed.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Yeah...but breaking bones and dislocating jounts will get you thrown in jail!!! Sorry to say that

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Yeah...but breaking bones and dislocating jounts will get you thrown in jail!!! Sorry to say that

People are beaten to death all the time. Why is a breaking move more force than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    You are absolutely right. Touching anyone in an unkind way can get you put in jail. So, the question is was use of force justified? If it is OK pin them down and hold them. It is also, OK to snap their collar bone or knee cap. We are not held to the same standards as a LEO. When LEO does arrive the same rules as a shooting apply. Officer he/they attacked me tried to hurt me, I was in fear of being killed or injured. I just tried to get them off of me. May I please talk to my lawyer. Oh his knee cap is broken, sorry to hear that all I did was try to get them, off of me, may I talk to my lawyer.
    That said If I have any choice in the matter, I would never allow myself to get into a wrestling match / fight with anyone while carrying a gun or weapon of any kind. The consequences are way too sever.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Now we are getting somewhere!!!
    I think I know enough to get a blow in. I know all the nasty punches, ear slaps, elbow blows, knee takeouts, jaw thrusts and that stuff. The restraint part is what I am after, after I have him down. I want to secure him until help of some type arrives if I am afraid him getting up will cause me more harm. If he is down and out....I am outa there!!

Just remember that all of these wonderful moves don't work on everyone; so, when you do a knee kick to beak it, and he laughs about it and attacks, you better be prepared. Securing someone is a whole new ballgame. Good luck on this since it's a lot easier than it looks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I remember when I was a police officer we had a video that was by one of the Gracie brothers for officers. He also had seminars for police officers to teach them some moves that might be useful for them. It was not to make them martial artist, but how tho defend themselves against some common moves. These included chokes and arm-bars not only for moves but to recognize what might be happening to you.
    Wish I would have been able to attend the seminar..

I've trained in and taught martial arts for close to 30 years. It has been my experience that the closer you get to someone (kicking vs. punching vs. grappling) the more danger you are in and the more practiced you have to be.

If you are up and he is down, you probably don't want to get down there with him in order to restrain him. This might be a good time to draw your firearm. It would certainly be a good time to draw your cell phone.

Books and videos are (some of them, at least) good supplements. But if you want to be good at a physical skill, such as martial arts or shooting, you have to practice.

If you want to learn to restrain people, find a good hapkido or jiu-jitsu class.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

I viewed some Krav Maga videos that are were pretty good. Just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Irontoad View Post
    I viewed some Krav Maga videos that are were pretty good. Just my 2 cents...
    What were they called?

Links