New TV Show: The Best Defense (Merged X 2)

This is a discussion on New TV Show: The Best Defense (Merged X 2) within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We finished up the last day of location taping today west of Denver. The topic was "The Best Defense in the back country" and we ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New TV Show: The Best Defense (Merged X 2)

Last day of Location Taping!

We finished up the last day of location taping today west of Denver. The topic was "The Best Defense in the back country" and we taped on some National Forest land.

In just a little over 6 weeks, we put together and taped the content for 13 episodes in 4 locations (USSA, Blackwater, Swanson, Wilderness).

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by flaboatbum View Post
    BTW, after Feb. 17, 09 you won't be able to get anything on your rabbit ears. It's digital converter box time. $40 coupons available from the Fed Gov't.

Looking forward to the show's launch on OD Network.

Thats wrong, as long as your TV has a digital tuner, which all TV's sold after March 2007 have...you will still be able to pick up local channels on an old air antenna.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

For those interested, Today marks the official launch of The Best Defense Blog as well!

The Best Defense (New Show?)

THE BEST DEFENSE with Michael Bane - On the Outdoor Channel
    I guess this is going to replace PDTV? Does anyone know why the other show has gone the way of the doh doh bird?

Heard it went to another channel that's not on dish network. Hate to see if go as it was the one show I made sure and watched each week.

Me too. I watched it on Outdoor channel, but now its on four channels that I've never heard of. Well Sportsman's channel I have but just because its advertised on Wed. Night on the Range on Outdoor channel.

Hmmm so I ordered outdoor channel just for this show and now its not gonna be on there? I do get PDTV on HUNT but I was looking forward to this show. Anyone know what channels its gonna be on?

Or is it in fact gonna be on Outdoor channel?

I had not heard that PDTV had changed channels.....

Here is the info from Tom Gresham's website. (He's the host of PDTV)

PDTV News

Personal Defense TV, Outdoor Channel, Misinformation and Spin

Several members of the Truth Squad have contacted me about the "news" that the Outdoor Channel has dropped Personal Defense TV. You'll note the quotation marks around the word "news" because the simple fact is that this is not what has happened.

Here's the skinny as it was told to me by a key participant.

Personal Defense TV is one of 10 television shows produced by Intermedia Outdoors (IMO). This is the company which publishes Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Petersen's Hunting, and a bunch of other magazines. IMO also purchased The Sportsman Channel about a year ago. Over the last few months, IMO has been in negotiations with the Outdoor Channel (OC) about the shows IMO produces, and last Wednesday, according to my sources at IMO (and I get this from the very top), they hit the wall. Increased prices and unrealistic demands from OC made it impossible for IMO to continue. Wednesday night, a top IMO manager informed OC that the company would not be renewing any of its shows with Outdoor Channel. In other words, as each show's contract runs out, IMO was pulling its top-rated shows.

TV shows from IMO consistently rate in the top 10 shows on the network.

Up to this point, it was just corporate negotiation and decisions, which are usually out of sight of the public. Then it got ugly.

The Outdoor Channel then put out a news release which contained more than a suggestion that the channel actually was removing the award-winning Intermedia Outdoor shows (Guns & Ammo, Petersen's Hunting, In-Fisherman, Personal Defense TV, etc., etc.) to improve the quality of programming. In other words, it was dumping these crummy shows.

The reaction was quick, and interesting to watch. Jim Shepherd, a veteran television manager and creator of the Outdoor Wire and Shooting Wire (highly recommended) called BS on the OC release. At the NRA Annual Meetings in Louisville, KY, last weekend, people in the firearms industry saw through the spin. It was a case of "You didn't dump me. I'm dumping YOU," and everyone recognized it for the silliness it was.

PDTV is NOT Going Away

So, what now for Personal Defense TV and other shows? Not to worry. Clearly, they will appear on The Sportsman Channel. Now that IMO has cut the apron strings to OC, it can get about its work to increase the distribution of Sportsman Channel. Expect to see news releases on deals putting SC on cable systems around the country, and possibly on one or both of the satellite services. Click Here if you would like to contact your local network provider and request The Sportsman Channel (or visit www.thesportsmanchannel.com and click on "GET THE CHANNEL"). There's also the very real possibility that you'll see some IMO shows, including PDTV, on other networks (in addition to SC).

Personal Defense TV was my idea. It was tough to get the show on the air. Even gun makers were nervous about it at first. Because I knew what people wanted to talk about on Gun Talk Radio, though, I knew that personal defense is the number one topic -- period. Nothing else even comes close. I'm proud to be able to break ground with this show and it has been really well received.

We are almost finished shooting Season Three of PDTV, which will feature Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, the world-class instructors at Gunsite, Tiger McKee of Shootrite (a new addition to PDTV), and a new weekly feature I think you'll enjoy. That begins airing in October. You'll see Heidi Smith and Il Ling New on the show this year, too. We bring the best instructors to you.

And...you didn't really think that after three years of bringing you the ground-breaking instruction on PDTV we were going to leave it at that, did you? Stay tuned for even more programs about the topics which you hear on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show every week.
    I just ordered The Sportsman Channel" for our cable package. It only cost a few dollars more a month. Well worth it I think.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

So, I never saw PDTV on OC but rather on HUNT. Now Best Defense is on OC so Ill probably keep it to watch that as well. Otherwise Id have to call DTV and cancel OC since I only ordered it ala carte for PDTV which I wantch on HUNT (go figure)

OC better hope Best Defense is good or Ill drop OC and tell em why.

wpk
    What day/time is Best defense on? My cable provider has OC but I couldn't find it listed.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

The Best Defense is scheduled to air on Wednesdays at 4, 7:30 and 11pm starting the first week in January.

According to my last update, the show will actually start airing on New Year's Eve on Outdoor Channel.

The first two show descriptions are:

The Best Defense: Episode I: Safe At Home

If there is one place you should feel safe, it is your own home. Home
    is where we are most comfortable. But one of the most terrifying
    thoughts all of us has is the chance that someone would break into ourhome. Best Defense host Michael Bane introduces our new series with thequestion "what would you do if your home was broken into?"
    Co-hosts and defense experts Mike Janich and Rob Pincus demonstrate the basics of what to do to make your home more secure, as well as planning to defend yourself within your home.

Episode II: Safe At Home cont'd.

Having shown the basics for preparing yourself against home invasion
    last week, Michael Bane, Mike Janich and Rob Pincus take home defense to the next level. What should you consider when firing a gun in your home at an intruder? If you fire a gun inside your home, how far will certain bullets penetrate into other rooms? What other weapons can you look into to defend yourself inside your house? These questions, along with many others, are answered by our experts.

I just found it on my cable lineup on Weds the 31st at 4PM, 7:30PM and 11PM Eastern time.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I just set the DVR to record all episodes. Thanks for the heads up.

Best Defense

Michael Bane's new show, "Best Defense" is debuting tonight on the Outdoor Channel. The other gun-related shows should be showing new episodes as well.

-JT

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links