Has anyone ever read this book? "Shooting Back"

This is a discussion on Has anyone ever read this book? "Shooting Back" within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Amazon.com: Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-defense: Charl Van Wyk: Books I am not a reader at all, but this book stirs my ...

Thread: Has anyone ever read this book? "Shooting Back"

Has anyone ever read this book? "Shooting Back"

Amazon.com: Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-defense: Charl Van Wyk: Books

I am not a reader at all, but this book stirs my interest big time.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

No..but it sounds interesting enough. Just searched for it at Hastings (local) and can't find it there. I'm going to try some other booksellers and possibly EBay.

I just checked half.com (eBay's media reseller outlet) and they have 1 listed for $52 which is nuts 'cause half.com normally has stuff for much less than Amazon.

Looks like a good topic and a book to look in to, even thought I hate reading.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I just checked half.com (eBay's media reseller outlet) and they have 1 listed for $52 which is nuts 'cause half.com normally has stuff for much less than Amazon.

Looks like a good topic and a book to look in to, even thought I hate reading.
    here: $14.99
    Shop.WND.com - A WorldNetDaily Exclusive!

I am going to order a copy.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I need to pick up his book. This guy also had a recent experience in South Africa where he defended himself and another missionary against three armed bandits.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hk-pistol.html
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

I ordered the book and dvd a few weeks ago from WND. I watched the DVD and read the book last week. The DVD seemed to be about 45 minutes to an hour long. The DVD is a recap of the book with mostly interview segments with the author. At 90 pages, the book is short. The first chapter explains the "shooting back" assault on the church. The following chapters focus on the aftermath and recovery. I would have liked to read more about the shooting itself. Having said that, I would pay the price again, because I support the religious ministry he is involved with in Africa.

Looks like an interesting book for the concealed carry person.
    God bless our troops!

I read it and gave it to my FORMER Pastor who now has a national Christian radio show. He LOVED it. I'm one of at least three people who regularly carry ccw in church. One of the Deacon's is an SRO in my IDPA club and I know he carries a 1911 with full approval of the pastor and elders. I carry my H&K or my Sig P226 and sometimes just a BUG S&W M642 which was something like what the book's author engaged terrorists with, so I felt fairly comfortable.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex,

Maybe you said it and I missed it, but what did you think of the book?

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

It has one or two good points....

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Ex, Maybe you said it and I missed it, but what did you think of the book? Herk
    To be honest, I thought it was an attempt to make money from a small event occurring years ago. I did like the message from Christians FOR Christians. That as Christians we are the sheepherders and the sheepdogs and it is our duty to use any means necessary to protect the flock from predatory wolves in a fallen world. That is the main thrust of the entire book.

The fact that it begins with the event and carries on for ad nauseam pages on the aftermath reminds me of my students attempts to "pad" their term papers trying to make them look impressive with actually very little valid material. Take for example the font size and the line spacing in the book: Bigger than normal font size and 1.5 spacing. Reduce this document to 1.0 spacing and 12 point font and the length of the book shrinks to half the size of the actual document.

In fact I think it does a disservice in spending 90% of the space on the aftermath when it should have spent that time researching the goals of islamic terrorism in eradicating other faiths and the erstwhile duty of Christians to put on the full armor of God, both of a spiritual and physical nature to stand up and prepare to defend our faith in all ways needed.

Don't get me wrong, for the novice to ccw and by that I mean for those recently converting from sheep into sheepdog status, it is an extremely good thing to help organize their thoughts and define their goals for ccw. It's great for serious mindset adjustment. It's also good to remind folks that shoving a S&W snubbie into your pocket without even one reload is foolish if you even remotely contemplate actual conflict. Be comforted not comfortable. Carry a serious weapon with serious reloads available. Find the rig that allows you to do so in a reasonably comfortable manner and then make the effort to do so as second nature as breathing.

But the real message here is: Go to church, concentrate on the message and apply it to your lives. Be aware that God's thoughts are not our thoughts nor his ways our ways. In the nature of a fallen and evil world so obviously hostile to both Christianity and Judaism, there will be tests both of our faith and of our skills and our willingness to blend both into action.

Here endeth the lesson.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

good post Ex. i need to get this book. my wife and i have been talking about the Christians taking up arms for a while. We grew up thinking that Christians were supposed to be weak and it was wrong to defend ourselves - sheep to the slaughter. Taking the "humble" and "humility" in the wrong context. I seek to be humble, but not a worldly humble where i allow myself to get walked all over.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Nice job, Ex. Thanks for the review. I won't waste my time/money based on your review.

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Links