Today, I carried a book, instead of a gun.

This is a discussion on Today, I carried a book, instead of a gun. within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday was a day off for me and I decided to carry a book, instead of a gun. (The gun was still handy, but the ...

Thread: Today, I carried a book, instead of a gun.

Thumbs up Today, I carried a book, instead of a gun.

Yesterday was a day off for me and I decided to carry a book, instead of a gun. (The gun was still handy, but the book was the object of my attention.)

The book was Bryan S. Williams’ Welcome to the Real World, accurately subtitled, A Dangerous Place to be Caught Unprepared. The Preface, Introduction, and the first chapter (How it Feels to Take a Bullet,) all go a long way towards justifying that subtitle and you’ll find much more on that subject throughout the book.

So you’ll understand my perspective, I’d like to tell you that I’m a relative newcomer to the CCW fold. I’ve been around firearms all my life, but they never really played a big part in it until I served in the military. I did go through a “liberal peace-nik” phase in my development, but the testosterone eventually kicked in and I’ve been a rather conservative individual ever since.

I’ve purchased my sidearm and am now waiting for my permit to clear. In the meantime, I’m carrying concealed at home to establish the best carry method for me. My inborn desire to always want “more info” lead me to buying this book, after reading a thread about it on this Forum.

Now it may sound silly to some, but one of the things I appreciate most about Welcome to the Real World is that the author avoided using the common vernacular, catch-phrases, and buzz-words commonly used when reading on the subject. Just as important to me, I don’t think he use the pseudo-word, “proactive,” even once! (If you aren’t “proactive,” does that make you “antiactive?” I strongly dislike such yuppie-isms! If you take action, you are “active.” If you don’t, you are “inactive.” Get over it.)

This book will hold little appeal to the 007-types or those looking to replace Charles Bronson as the star in the next Death Wish sequel. Too bad, as this book would serve as a good reality-check for them.

Unlike ME, the author does NOT ramble when he writes!

As I read through the pages covering “Situational Awareness,” I remember thinking, “I do this all the time.” For me, it was nice to discover that it isn’t necessarily a symptom of paranoia. In my case, his writing on that subject served as positive re-enforcement for my ingrained behavior pattern. It is true that much of the population does not function in that state of awareness most of the time and this section of the book will be a valuable lesson for them. Mr. Williams provides them with an easy-to-follow method to change their awareness level to a healthier one.

I don’t think you would expect to read a book on personal defense that didn’t go into the various “what-if” scenarios. Unlike many articles on this topic, the author most always suggests options to avoid the conflict, before going into the various ways to apply deadly force. To me, that demonstrates the difference between the “sheepdog” mentality and that of the “aggressive watchdog,” which is only one step away from being the “wolf.”

To anyone who is new to the idea of taking personal responsibility for the safety of themselves and their family, I strongly recommend this book. It will help you understand and accept the moral and ethical implications of carrying a lethal weapon. If you have already taken that responsibility and would like to refine your knowledge, this one would also be a good choice.

I don’t think the author missed a single change to hammer in the message, “This, or any other book, is NOT a substitute for competent, hands-on training!” He’s right; there is no substitute for that. But the book will help you recognize competent training when you see it, and to avoid “fly-by-night” fast-buck artist that simply appeal to the ego and little else.

It my apply to only a small number of people, but this book can help you if you are the type that knows how you feel about carrying concealed, but have difficulty conveying that feeling to others. I’ve no doubt that as you read the book, you’ll find yourself thinking, “That’s right!” or, “I wish I’d said that!” Remember his words; I don’t think Mr. Williams would mind being quoted, one bit!

I ordered my copy of the book just a few days ago. I sat down and read the whole thing, in a single sitting. That only happens when the book is “a good read,” and this one most certainly is.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Thx Mike for that excellent critique - very well put together and I am sure Bryan will be pleased with your response.

As I have said - I am no way finished reading that yet - no problem with the book because it is easy reading - just too many things on at once!!

I will say tho from my read so far - and my initial scan, flick thru initially - I was certainly impressed with the overall writing method used and do think it is a first class read for the new CCW in particular.

That said, I found myself reading and nodding in agreement with various topics - and was aware that even tho they were familiar things - it was good to see them in print and so reinforce one's own thinking.

So for now at least I'd say your interpretation is pretty much spot on and I'd suggest it as good reading for most people who carry - even if ''old hands'' because we can never become complacent or forgetful of the basics. Staying sharp is good
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

it is a good book a few of us have reviewed it

That is a good review you do also

I did see where others had commented on this book. My motivation was to add my impression on the book, as I do feel compelled to "spread the word," whenever I find something useful and/or helpful, about something that is important to me.

The more post about something, the more likely it is that others who might also find it helpful, will become aware of it.

I'm pretty "shameless" that way.

If the book left me feeling let down in any way, I'd have posted that, as well.

But what I write is just one man's opinion, to be taken for whatever its worth.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

you might want to try Armed Responce i think it is ill hvae to find it for sure and who wrote it David soemthing

Links