Two Books, not CCW related but...

This is a discussion on Two Books, not CCW related but... within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ..... great reading. For Civil War aficionados: April 1865. The Month that Saved America by Jay Winik. I had seen the History Channel special and ...

Thread: Two Books, not CCW related but...

VIP Member

Two Books, not CCW related but...

..... great reading.

For Civil War aficionados: April 1865. The Month that Saved America by Jay Winik. I had seen the History Channel special and got the book (Which, incidentally, is my first Civil War book). A great historian is one who takes you and places you in the time and makes you understand the mentality and enviroment of an specific moment in time and Mr. Winik does just that. It is totally absorbing and it is the kind of book that you would love to sit with a beverage and a smoke (if you partake of that), relax and totally enjoy it.

The second book is We Were Soldiers Once... and Young by Lt. Gen Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway. One oword to describe it: INTENSE. It is so well written that you are actually overwhelmed by the depiction of the battle. I can't write much more and try to do justcie to the book. Just read it.

And now, some help. Like I said above, I haven't read but one book about the Civil War and I would like to submerge myself into it. I would appreciate reccomendations about a good "starter" book on the subject, any ideas?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - over on THR a member (and mod) 4v50 Gary has for months been running a fascinating thread, dealing mostly with Civil War sharpshooters. He is also soon I believe publishing a book on such stuff. Do go look at that thread.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=36853

I was fortunate last year when my wife and biked to Gettysburg and spent a fascinating 2 days touring the battlefields. The carnage is still hard to imagine.

I have no specific book recommendations but, could be Gary could if you contact him.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

We Were Soldiers Once... and Young im guessing that the movie we were soliders was based off the book if so the movie was good and im will to bet the book was super

Yeah Bud, the movie was based off the book, but if I remember correctly the book also details what happened at LZ Albany the next day. Miggy's right, it is a very intense book, but I would recommend it to all.

A1C Lickey

ill have to pick it up then

VIP Member
    I loved "We were Soldiers" and thought that the Mel Gibson movie was very well done also.

The Civil War has been of interest to me for a long time, and I can recommend 2 books for starters:

"Battle Cry of Freedom" by James M. McPherson is the best 1-volume read on the CW that I know of...he details the politics and situations that led up to the war, and goes through the battles start to finish (Bull Run to Appomattox).

"Civil War: a Narrative" by Shelby Foote comes in 3 volumes, and is widely considered to be one of the best and most detailed histories of the war. Mr. Foote had a witty and interesting writing style.

Also, Bruce Catton has some interesting CW books, but I can't think of the titles right this moment

Rick
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Much obliged gents.... One thing I did not get for Christmas this years was books, but now I can fix that problem
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links