Cane-fighting DVD? (Merged, with review)

This is a discussion on Cane-fighting DVD? (Merged, with review) within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any recommendations on a DVD to help me learn cane-fighting techniques? Based on physical limitations I'm considering Martial Cane Concepts by Michael Janich....

Thread: Cane-fighting DVD? (Merged, with review)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Cane-fighting DVD? (Merged, with review)

Any recommendations on a DVD to help me learn cane-fighting techniques?

Based on physical limitations I'm considering Martial Cane Concepts by Michael Janich.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

Can't go wrong with Janich.

Check this site out it seems to be a good cane defense. I want to get it myself, when I have the extra funds.
    Walking Canes for mobility, self defense, exercise and rehabilitation - by Cane Masters
    Tony Medlin

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    --- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.

You may want to check out a Filipino Stick Fighting video (also may be referred to as Kali or Escrima). Filipino Martial Arts stress angles of attack rather than strictly techniques so that "techniques" you learn with a knife is pretty much the same as a sword, or a stick, or a cane or empty hands.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytigerhk45 View Post
    Check this site out it seems to be a good cane defense. I want to get it myself, when I have the extra funds.
    Walking Canes for mobility, self defense, exercise and rehabilitation - by Cane Masters
    Hm. Looking at their other offerings (certificates, pins, patches, and black-belt-by-video), I wonder how much of what they do is geared towards separating people from their money and how much is geared towards content. Not to slam them - they probably have lots of good stuff - just worried.

Anybody here ever deal with them?

ChuckE,

That is similar to M. Janich's philosophy and the Filipino approach is a strong part of his training background. The Cane specific training exploits some aspects of the hooked woooden cane that are unique as well.

Paymeister,

I have had Mark Shuey (the man behind Canemasters) in class as a student (firearms) and he is a really great guy. I was actually surprised how much I liked him after having seen all of the "martial artsy" stuff from his company over the years. Some amount of "hype" is part of any business, of course. I am inclined to think that anything he offers for sale was initiated by a student/customer who said "hey, do you have an XXXX with the logo on it??".
    The canes that his company makes are the best in the world. I have been a customer of theirs for years (bought my first cane in '99 after an on duty injury) and bought hundreds of canes for Valhalla that were made to our specs for between 2003 and 2007. Those canes were sold and used in conjunction with Tom Forman's Executive Cane Defense program, which has (unfortunately) never been turned into a video or book. I am hoping to work with Tom on that project next year.
    I have carried Canemaster canes into a lot of places that were highly secured and did not allow "weapons"... including museums, banks, gov't facilities and airplanes (domestic & int'l flights).

All that said, at this point, I think a CM Cane and a JM DVD would be a great combo.

-RJP

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Hm. Looking at their other offerings (certificates, pins, patches, and black-belt-by-video), I wonder how much of what they do is geared towards separating people from their money and how much is geared towards content. Not to slam them - they probably have lots of good stuff - just worried.

Anybody here ever deal with them?
    I looked at the web site and thought his prices were a little high. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes not. He does come well recommended. Other choices might be your local library, or neghiborhood book store.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I ordered Martial Cane Concepts by Michael Janich, and had a nice chat with my daughter's Krav Maga instructor. He suggested working through the DVD then spending some private time with him. He also encouraged me to look into kubotan/yawara stick training, and that a flashlight would probably be just about the right size proportionally in hands as large as mine.

I anticipate building a tireman (actually a Feed-Sack-and-Lumber man) to whale on for training, and will probably pick up one of the extra-large unfinished oak canes sold by Canemasters. I'll post a review of the DVD when I can.

Thumbs up Review: Martial Cane Concepts by Michael Janich

I heartily recommend Michael Janich's Martial Cane Concepts DVD for anyone interested in self-defense with a cane. It's clear, simple enough to be implemented, and highly practical. I haven't mastered his techiques and been jumped yet so I can't say for sure that it is effective... but I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what he teaches!

This DVD primarily presents one basic defensive stance, one striking and and one thrusting routine, because real people can't remember, process or implement the large number of 'if-he-does-this-then-I-need-to-do-that' scenarios taught by many instructors. Initially I felt this video was rather sparse, but very quickly realized that mastering these moves really was within my capabilities and doing so would carry me a LONG way down the road to effective self defense with the cane. Mr. Janich is a good instructor and has a firm grasp on the limitations faced by his audience: he is teaching ME and real people like me rather than the "Grasshopper" disciple or the kid training for some showy competition. (He did give just a taste of some of the trickier moves - along with references for further study - but his emphasis was on teaching basic self-defense moves to Joe Canedude.)

The basic sequences Mr. Janich teaches are clear, effective, and versatile enough to accommodate a variety of situations. He showed examples of using these moves in defense against punches, grabs, chokes, and knife attacks. He makes it clear that one's goal is to get away, and any strikes to head or neck are only appropriate under the gravest of threats - he exudes confidence without boasting, and advocates one's survival rather than focusing on how to do the most damage to the bad guy.

I would have liked a bit more on training methods, though this was only a minor disappointment. I saw a brief scene in which he was hitting what appeared to be a padded rope strung between floor and ceiling, for instance, and I would have appreciated a bit more on how to set one up or make my own caning bags/dummies. Still, I think I really have what I need from this DVD and should be able develop my own training methods and aids.

Technically this video was superb. It showed what I needed to see from all angles, and the clarity (both audio and video) was a delight compared to some work I've seen. It was pleasant to watch - which surprised me.

Kudos to Mr. Janich for producing an extremely practical and nicely-targeted DVD for non-martial-arts types: I would strongly recommend this to anyone who uses a stick regardless of limited physical condition or lack of ability to commit to martial-arts training (it isn't magic, but anyone can profit from it with a reasonable amount of effort). This DVD would also be highly instructive for those who must work in or travel through places where concealed carry is not permitted - canes are politically correct, and he shows clearly how they can be highly effective.
    Last edited by Paymeister; January 21st, 2009 at 09:23 AM.

Links