The Gift of Fear

The Gift of Fear

This is a discussion on The Gift of Fear within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great book by Gavin De Becker. Just getting into it and so far it is outstanding! I reccomend it to every 'sheepdog' out there....

Thread: The Gift of Fear

Thumbs up The Gift of Fear

Great book by Gavin De Becker. Just getting into it and so far it is outstanding!

I reccomend it to every 'sheepdog' out there.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Very good book, had to read it and do a book report on it last semester. I really enjoyed it. DeBecker teaches you to listen to the voice inside you. Go to amazon.com, and search inside the book, there you can read the majority of the first chapter, i promise you will be hooked after you start reading it.

If i can find the report i will post it later for any of you that want to read a summary of the book.

BEN

1943 - 2009
    I haven't read this one, but I read one of de Becker's other books, entitled Fear Less.

Sorry, but I can't warm up to this guy. His anti-gun position just turns me off. He doesn't approve of guns in the hands of civilians and says, among other things, that a female stalking victim should not even think about carrying a firearm for protection.

But he approves of civilian firearms when they are carried by members of his firm's Protection Division, providing bodyguards for celebrities.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yes, I have found that I need to 'ignore' his comments about firearms and focus more on what he is saying about using your head. I have found a lot of authors, muscians, celebrities, and even friends that are very anti-gun. While I do not share their beliefs or agree with them, I still read their books, listen to their music, watch their movies, or call them my friends.

My sister is one of the most anti-gun and anti-hunting individuals I have EVER met, but I still love her!
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

DeBecker is one of many people who have much to offer in terms of what we can learn from them despite the fact that his worldview, his outlook, and his understanding of reality are seriously hindered by irrational attitudes about something (in his case, firearms and firearms ownership). Given what I recall of his traumatic childhood, this is not a surprising attitude, but having a good reason for your irrational fears does not make them any less rational.

I feel about him the way I feel about skilled martial artists who are anti-gun. Their irrational fear of weapons does not mean they are not skilled technicians when it comes to what they do -- but it does mean they are hardly "martial" in their attitudes and their approaches to life.

Excellent post!

Nietzsche

Sponsored Links