What Gun Mags Do You Read Regularly? WHY Those? (Merged threads)

This is a discussion on What Gun Mags Do You Read Regularly? WHY Those? (Merged threads) within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guns, Combat Handguns, Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, S.W.A.T., Police, America1st Freedom, Women and Guns, Soldier of Fortune....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Gun Mags Do You Read Regularly? WHY Those? (Merged threads)

Guns, Combat Handguns, Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement,
    S.W.A.T., Police, America1st Freedom, Women and Guns, Soldier of Fortune.

2. Remove Ads

Which and why?

"Concealed Carry" because the content is, IMHO, good and improves with every issue. Also, it is the only magazine I know of in which you can read an article straight through rather than the usual "Continued on Page 87" routine. It's a little thing, but I really like it.

"America's First Freedom" because it's "free." I like the "Armed Citizen" and the political analyses.

SSKC

Just about all the major bookstores carry. I take them to the coffee shop, read them and return them to the shelf. If I see something of interest, I'll make a note and check it out on the 'puter when I get home. Occasionally I find something very interesting which causes me to plunk down the magazine's price. Saves a lot on subscriptions and I noticed that after I had read them, in a short time, the subscribed magazines were rarely kept anyway.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

American Handgunner and Gun tests. Not planning on renewing American handgunner, will get Concealed Carry magazine instead. AH has great photography and I think the boys there try to be objective, but if you read between the lines I think they realize that their advertisers carry most of the freight and they just won't really trash a brand for that reason. Gun tests has no advertising so they're not afraid to say "don't buy this gun."
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.......LUKE 11:21 NIV

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    yep, advertising plays a big part in gun mag product reviews...

that's why I try to get reviews from other sources, in addition to what I get from the gun mags...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    that's why I try to get reviews from other sources, in addition to what I get from the gun mags...
    Yup that's why the Washington Post get's it's gun reviews and general info from the American Medica Association. The AMA in turn gets their info from the Brady Bunch....they stay away from the NRA, however. Too biased.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

On occasion I'll leaf through one at the store but that's about it.

Once in awhile I'll maybe by an annual edition as a reference book.

American Rifleman, Gun tests & Shotgun News
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I get “Combat Handguns” here at Superstore, because the title and cover makes the PC crowd really uncomfortable, even better when I have my 1 year old daughter with me, they smile at my daughter and then see the magazine and they look horrified, it’s actually quite funny to watch, even better when I ask them if anything is wrong.

I have a subscription to American Rifleman thanks to my NRA membership, and had one for America's First Freedom, but it expired.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    the Doublegun Journal and Shooting Sportsman, and sometimes Sporting Clays.

Yeah, I am basically a Shotgun Guy!
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Combat Handguns because I especially like the articles by Walt Rauch.
    I agree with the amount of advertising being excessive in some other mags, though.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

VIP Member
    Concealed Carry Magazine and America's 1st Freedom.

One of the benefits of being a college reference librarian is that I get to check out all the electronic databases. I have found several that are available from our databases. I have been checking out American Handgunner, Guns and Handguns. I will say that I find the two that I subscribe to are better than what I have found in these.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I receive Concealed Carry Magazine, Gun's of the Old West and NRA's First Freedom (my wife is also an NRA member and gets American Rifleman every month). I'll grab a copy of Guns, G&A, Combat Handguns, Shooting Times, Shotgun News and another mag or two if something about an issue catches my attention. Like someone else mentioned, with the other 1/2 dozen or more magazines and the newspaper my wife and I get every month, there are times that 2 or 3 issues will back up over a month or more before I get around to reading them, though I try to get to the gun mags within a few days or a week if possible.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Guns & ammo has some nice articles on old guns which I find interesting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links