If you could pick one book...

This is a discussion on If you could pick one book... within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you had someone who was on the fence in terms of gun control. A self identified liberal who is only anti-gun because they think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could pick one book...

If you had someone who was on the fence in terms of gun control. A self identified liberal who is only anti-gun because they think that's what good liberals are. If this person considered themselves a person of science and reason and will accept facts on the gun-control issue, but they've never been presented to that person before...

If they agreed to read any one book you provided them to make a case against gun control. Which book would you give them and why?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

More Guns, Less Crime by John Lott.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

IMHO John Lott's, More Guns, Less Crime.
    He offers detailed information and indisputable statistics to show that communities that have concealed carry are less likely to violence.
    Great Book!
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

In the Gravest Extreme, The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection, by Massad F. Ayoob.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    More Guns, Less Crime by John Lott.
    +1...great book.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth, written by the man who started it all, Jeff Cooper.

Then you can read the others, they are excellent books.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    In the Gravest Extreme - Ayoob
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Two great choices have been presented, those specific ones by Lott, Ayoob. If you're trying to convince a person of the threat, pros and cons of carrying a firearm in self-defense, then In The Gravest Extreme is hard to beat, but I think that's more for someone already convinced of the need to carry who simply needs a primer on the realities of the responsibility. For someone needing convincing about the reality of the world we live in, IMO Lott's book is one of the most effective out there. Open mind, read once, ponder the truth, repeat ... for as long as it takes for the truth to sink in. If that still doesn't work, check out Grossman's works.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    In the Gravest Extreme - Ayoob
    Yep
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    A self identified liberal who is only anti-gun because they think that's what good liberals are.
    Forget the book. Its a waste of money.

Anyone that wants to become a liberal anti gunner because they think its the smart thing to do isnt smart enough to get anything of value out of something that goes contrary to their perceptions.

Just but them a T-shirt with a bullseye on the front and back and stick a target pastie on their forehead. That would come closer to getting the point across.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Forget the book. Its a waste of money.

Anyone that wants to become a liberal anti gunner because they think its the smart thing to do isnt smart enough to get anything of value out of something that goes contrary to their perceptions.
    In a lot of cases I would agree. But they are open minded to this.

Since they are now interested in knowing more. It's my duty to present a good case.

One cannot be blamed for not investigating an issue in depth if they have no interest in it. We all do that. I don't care one bit about Organic Gardening, and probably have all sorts of messed up ideas about it. I can't be blamed for my lack of interest in Organic Gardening.

If that person is presented with the facts, and refuses to hear them, or CONTINUES to choose to believe the garbage -- then they are a hopeless anti-intellectual.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I am a huge fan of Ayoob's, but personally I think In the Gravest Extreme is the one book to give to somebody who has already decided to own a gun. I haven't read his Role of the Firearm in personal Protection, but it could certainly qualify.

Overall, though, if you are honestly talking about somebody who is on the verge of switching between emotionalism and rationalism in considering gun control, Lott's book seems like the place to start.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    If that person is presented with the facts, and refuses to hear them, or CONTINUES to choose to believe the garbage -- then they are a hopeless anti-intellectual.

Like mentioned above, for facts, Lott is a much better choice. After they read More Guns, Less Crime, then let them try out Ayoob. Just my .04.(gotta hate inflation)
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Unintended Consequences....

If they truly value reason, they will "get it" after the first half of the book when they understand the history of gun control in the US.

-RJP

The Seven Myths of Gun Control
    by
    Richard Poe
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links