what are the best rags?

This is a discussion on what are the best rags? within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What magazines do you like the best in the defensive handgun genre?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: what are the best rags?

what are the best rags?

What magazines do you like the best in the defensive handgun genre?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upland man View Post
    What magazines do you like the best in the defensive handgun genre?
    I don't quite understand your question. Every magazine is made for a specific pistol. There are some custom magazines made for certain pistols. As a certified gunsmith, I would generally tell you only to buy a magazine from the manufacturer of your pistol otherwise warranties may become void. Burrs and spring replacement should be the only other issue.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    Are there any truly great Gun Ragazines out there these days?

All of them are better than PEOPLE Magazine or Vanity Fair.

And of course everybody should subscribe to SWAT Magazine because one of our moderators is Art Director for that Magazine.

I think he means Gun Rags AKA the Gun Mags that are on the news stand shelf rather than the ones that get stuffed into pistolas.

Any mag with a gun on the cover that doesnt have a slash through it.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

NRA (Am Rifleman or Am's First Freedom) and USCCA...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like SWAT, Women and Guns, Combat Handguns to mention a few.

I've subscribed to nearly all of them at one time or another over the past 45 years. My $0.02 worth as a literate technical professional (aerospace engineer) and avid shooter/hunter/perennial defensive shooting trainee:

I currently get Gun tests and American Handgunner, the former for its "consumerist" content and freedom from paid advertising, the latter for its overall high quality content, excellent writers who actually get out and shoot, and Roy Huntington's no-BS editorial leadership. I also read SWAT Magazine since I did a couple of trainings with its editor and with one of its frequent contributors.

G&A never met a gun it didn't like; Combat Handguns has pretty low editorial standards but some good contributors. USCCA is coming along and is good for publishing articles from members and otherwise previously unpublished writers, but it doesn't "grab" me with either grittiness or content.

The 2 subscriptions I currently have are American Rifleman and Guns and Ammo.
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

American Rifleman, and anything that contains an Ayoob article or review. Oh-yeah......the Glock Annual magazine too!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I like Combat Handguns.

I get Guns and Ammo (In Laws got me a three year sub) and American Rifleman. They are ok........
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    American Rifleman and SWAT - two of the best.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

COMBAT HANDGUNS, hands down. Next comes Guns & Ammo and Guns. Sometimes I'll buy an American Handgunner off the shelf, but I have subscriptions to the rest. Of course I get America's First Freedom as my LIFE MEMBER NRA magazine.

For a moment I thought you were talking about gun cleaning supplies and I was going to reply that during the campaign last year a bunch of sneaky liberals at the inner city high school where I teach A.P. American Government, kept sneaking OBAMA t-shirts or face towels (with the campaign logo) into my school mail box. I found a very handy use for each! Warms my heart to clean my guns. I let my student's know to what use I was putting these unwanted "gifts" and I got into trouble from my liberal principal. Don't ask.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    SWAT and America's First Freedom (NRA). I picked up my first issue of Combat Handguns last week and I think I will subscribe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    For a moment I thought you were talking about gun cleaning supplies and I was going to reply that during the campaign last year a bunch of sneaky liberals at the inner city high school where I teach A.P. American Government, kept sneaking OBAMA t-shirts or face towels (with the campaign logo) into my school mail box. I found a very handy use for each! Warms my heart to clean my guns. I let my student's know to what use I was putting these unwanted "gifts" and I got into trouble from my liberal principal. Don't ask.
    Ex, you are something dude! Let it be known that in one of the most troublesome HS of South Florida, Ex has the quietest most polite students in the whole school district. He has shown pictures of his "posse" to his students and they don't want to mess with him.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

This is a great thread. Thank you DC for the info.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

One's I've picked up off the rack so far:
    Combat Handguns
    American HandGunner
    Guns&Ammo Handguns
    Guns&Ammo
    Shooting Times
    Shooting Illustrated
    Guns&WeaponsForLawEnforcement
    GunWorld

And I get America'sFirst with my NRA membership...will probably subscribe to the top three on the list I made as well.
    ExSoldier likes this.
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links