A New Jack Reacher Novel - Page 2

A New Jack Reacher Novel

This is a discussion on A New Jack Reacher Novel within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JDKinman I used to be a Lee Child fan even though he once had Reacher flipping the safety off on a Smith ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A New Jack Reacher Novel

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    I used to be a Lee Child fan even though he once had Reacher flipping the safety off on a Smith & Wesson .38 Special. As others have pointed out, the Army's CID in his books is almost insulting the way they are organized and work. I never saw any military police investigators work that well. Most were the typical "bull in a china shop" because the UCMJ empowered them to be so.

But in the last Reacher novel I read, Child took some cheap shots at gun owners, the NRA and NRA members and the Second Amendment in general. If the hypocrite had done that at the outset of his novels, his sales would never have reached the heights they did. I'd just as soon he'd made his feelings towards gun-owners known a lot earlier in his writing career before he started making so much money off of them only to stab us in the back.

All my Lee Child books went into the firepit on the back deck and I refuse to even consider buying another one of his books.

JD
    I haven't read that one yet I guess. If true it will sour me on Lee Child.

I'm currently enjoying the Gabriel Allon series of books by Daniel Silva. The main character, Gabriel Allon, is an Israeli agent who assassinates enemies of Israel including terrorists and old Nazis. As a Character in fiction Gabriel is Jack Reacher's opposite in appearance, stature, and MO. If you like this kind of fiction with current and historical themes you may like the Gabriel Allon series. I do.

I'm currently enjoying the Gabriel Allon series of books by Daniel Silva. The main character, Gabriel Allon, is an Israeli agent who assassinates enemies of Israel including terrorists and old Nazis. As a Character in fiction Gabriel is Jack Reacher's opposite in appearance, stature, and MO. If you like this kind of fiction with current and historical themes you may like the Gabriel Allon series. I do.
    Glad to read of your endorsement of the Gabriel Allon series. I recently finished the first book in the series and plan on reading the others.

The Pittsburgh Post Gazett has an article today, stating that on Nov. 8, the book " One Shot" will be reissued with Tom Cruise's half face on the cover. The paper also state that the movie will premire on Dec. 21, and is entitled "Jack Reacher".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    But in the last Reacher novel I read, Child took some cheap shots at gun owners, the NRA and NRA members and the Second Amendment in general. If the hypocrite had done that at the outset of his novels, his sales would never have reached the heights they did. I'd just as soon he'd made his feelings towards gun-owners known a lot earlier in his writing career before he started making so much money off of them only to stab us in the back.

All my Lee Child books went into the firepit on the back deck and I refuse to even consider buying another one of his books.

JD
    Well, darn, I was excited about starting a new series until I read this. ^^^ Now I won't be able too. It's the same way with Hollywood stars that feel the need to express their political views. Once I hear them, any and all movies they star in are spoiled.

On a good note, my all time favorite author of that genre is Vince Flynn and he contines to churn Mitch Rapp novels out at an alarming rate!

ps on the book burning. Nothing wrong with burning your own books, it's not like marching into a library and dragging out all the books for a good ole fashioned book burning. I burned Colon Powell's book after he threw his good friend, John McCain under the bus in 2008. Ok, I didn't burn it, I threw it in the trash to be taken out on Thursday evening. I wish I had thought to burn it.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Jean, read them anyway and take it as entertainment. It's really a good series.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Lee Child books are decent if you're just looking at a quick read to pass the time. I just read one of his latest ones, "A Wanted Man", and I have to say it was a bit...lacking. He try's to put so many observations and minute detail that it ends up just being choppy. I enjoy the fact that he puts so much gun trivia in his books, but half the time its incorrect, for example in this latest book I just read he kept stating that the Glock 19 holds had a 17 round magazine. Anyways, entertaining books, but they are what they are.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member
    Just read " a wanted man". Wasn't his best work, but it was entertaining. Which book was bashing the NRA and the second amendment in? I guess I have not read that one, and I have quite a few of the Reacher books.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links