A New Jack Reacher Novel

This is a discussion on A New Jack Reacher Novel within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gone Tomorrow, A Reacher Novel, by Lee Child. 2009. 421 pages. Available from Amazon. Up til now, after 12 novels, I figured that the author ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A New Jack Reacher Novel

1943 - 2009

A New Jack Reacher Novel

Gone Tomorrow, A Reacher Novel, by Lee Child. 2009. 421 pages. Available from Amazon.

Up til now, after 12 novels, I figured that the author had pretty much wrung out all the mileage he could get from the Jack Reacher character. No so. This, the 13th novel in the series, is hands down the best one yet.

Set in New York City, with side trips to Washington, D.C., the plot has many twists and turns but is easy to follow. The storyline involves an Al Qaeda terrorist cell, a secret Delta Force mission in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion, an upwardly mobile Congressman who led the mission and is now confronting a scandal, and stolen Pentagon files. The gun action is accurately portrayed, considering the author is a Brit, but it's obvious he's done his homework.

If you're a Jack Reacher fan, don't miss this one.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

Ron
    I love the Jack Reacher series. Thanks for the heads up. I am off to my local library today.
    Supraman762 likes this.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I just found the Jack Reacher series on Tuesday! New fan!
    Supraman762 likes this.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I started reading the Jack Reacher stories when I got my Kindle 2. I am definitely a fan. I have so far read -Killing Floor- and Persuader- looking forward to reading the rest.

If anybody has a Kindle and is looking for a good read, look up --Beat the Reaper: A Novel--- by Josh Bazell
    Supraman762 likes this.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I love the Reacher novels.

BUT.....I've considered writing to the author and offering my services, free of charge, as a technical consultant regarding the role of US Army Military Police.....

Nahhhhh..........it sounds more interesting the way he writes it......
    Supraman762 likes this.

1943 - 2009
    Yeah, Mac, Childs' MP units don't resemble any of the MP units I was ever assigned to.

In my day, CID Agents were Warrant Officers or enlisted men. Never heard of a Commissioned Officer being an accredited criminal investigator.

A CID detachment could be commanded by a Captain or a Major, but he wasn't an investigator.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

It's a great read, BTW. Finished in about 2 days....gotta love the Reacher series...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

I recently discovered the Reacher novels and am working my way through them now. I have read all but the last 3 so far.

They are great books but Lee Child does not do the best research in my opinion. In one book he writes about a character "snicking" the safety lever on his Glock to the fire position.

In another he speaks about a news microwave trucks "hydraulic" mast being raised. (The masts on news live trucks are pneumatic).

There are other examples, but those two stood out in my mind. I can over look these little flaws but they are annoying. But I still love the books!

I have read that one of the novels is to be made into a movie. Can you come up with ANY current actor who would do the Jack Reacher character justice? I can not think of a single one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"One Shot" filmed in Pittsbutgh,Pa, the fall of 2011, and starring Tom Cruise.

"One Shot" filmed in Pittsbutgh,Pa, the fall of 2011, and starring Tom Cruise.
    I was SOOOOO excited when I first head that one of the "Jack Reacher" books was going to be made into a movie. OTOH, I felt insulted when I found out that Tom Cruise was going to be Jack Reacher. There's NOTHING about of Tom Cruise that is similar to the character of Jack Reacher. In addition, I'm not a big fan of Cruise. Now, I even question whether I'll even see the movie.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    I was SOOOOO excited when I first head that one of the "Jack Reacher" books was going to be made into a movie. OTOH, I felt insulted when I found out that Tom Cruise was going to be Jack Reacher. There's NOTHING about of Tom Cruise that is similar to the character of Jack Reacher. In addition, I'm not a big fan of Cruise. Now, I even question whether I'll even see the movie.
    No kidding. Why in the world did they get an Oompaloompa like Cruise to play Reacher, when the character is supposed to be what, 6'5"? Dwayne Johnson(The Rock) would have been a much better choice. I'm sure they were just figuring that many of the people who will go watch the movie have no prior knowledge of the books or Reachers character, and the ones that do are probably outnumbered by the ones that don't.

I'll never understand why Hollywierd does some of the stuff they do. Then again, they're mostly liberals. But I digress.....

I love the Reacher books. Now I have to go get the new one.

Since the original post in 2009 several more Jack Reacher novels have come out. Here is the complete list.
    Jack Reacher 01 - Killing Floor
    Jack Reacher 02 - Die Trying
    Jack Reacher 03 - Tripwire
    Jack Reacher 04 - The Visitor (Running Blind)
    Jack Reacher 05 - Echo Burning
    Jack Reacher 06 - Without Fail
    Jack Reacher 07 - Persuader
    Jack Reacher 08 - The Enemy
    Jack Reacher 09 - One Shot
    Jack Reacher 10 - The Hard Way
    Jack Reacher 11 - Bad Luck and Trouble
    Jack Reacher 12 - Nothing to Lose
    Jack Reacher 13 - Gone Tomorrow
    Jack Reacher 14 - 61 Hours
    Jack Reacher 15 - Worth Dying For
    Jack Reacher 16 - The Affair
    Jack Reacher 17 - A Wanted Man (2012)

I used to be a Lee Child fan even though he once had Reacher flipping the safety off on a Smith & Wesson .38 Special. As others have pointed out, the Army's CID in his books is almost insulting the way they are organized and work. I never saw any military police investigators work that well. Most were the typical "bull in a china shop" because the UCMJ empowered them to be so.

But in the last Reacher novel I read, Child took some cheap shots at gun owners, the NRA and NRA members and the Second Amendment in general. If the hypocrite had done that at the outset of his novels, his sales would never have reached the heights they did. I'd just as soon he'd made his feelings towards gun-owners known a lot earlier in his writing career before he started making so much money off of them only to stab us in the back.

All my Lee Child books went into the firepit on the back deck and I refuse to even consider buying another one of his books.

JD
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    All my Lee Child books went into the firepit on the back deck and I refuse to even consider buying another one of his books.

JD
    I appreciate your opinion... I appreciate your observations about Child's "cheap shots" against gun owners. And I will keep that in mind should I consider continuing to read his "Reacher" series; which I may not do, based on your observations (I've read through #6).

But... I do not condone the burning of books, whether accurate or derisive towards guns and gun ownership. Whether they position 'the 2nd Amendment as ... most effective system of homeland security.'

You don't answer to me, obviously...

Regardless, I don't like book burning, and generally associate it with Nazism and Fascism. And I don't think that folks who burn books are themselves... ahem... above reproach.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links