Massad Ayoob Books

Massad Ayoob Books

This is a discussion on Massad Ayoob Books within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Almost finished Massad Ayoob's Combat Hangunnery. What an excellent book. He really is an authority in this subject manner. Apparently many in the CCW world ...

Thread: Massad Ayoob Books

Massad Ayoob Books

Almost finished Massad Ayoob's Combat Hangunnery. What an excellent book. He really is an authority in this subject manner. Apparently many in the CCW world is well liked. I am looking forward to purchasing a couple of other books by him: The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry as well as In the Gravest Extremes. The latter delves into the aftermath on the use of deadly force. Being a seasoned law enforcement professional he presents issues and concepts in a no nonsense manner.

I highly recommend these books.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Almost finished Massad Ayoob's Combat Hangunnery. What an excellent book. He really is an authority in this subject manner. Apparently many in the CCW world is well liked. I am looking forward to purchasing a couple of other books by him: The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry as well as In the Gravest Extremes. The latter delves into the aftermath on the use of deadly force. Being a seasoned law enforcement professional he presents issues and concepts in a no nonsense manner.

I highly recommend these books.
    I just started his LFI course in Harrisburg PA today, and he is very entertaining and informative, while at the same time being no-nonsense. In The Gravest Extreme is required reading for the course.
    Last edited by rmarkob; June 25th, 2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added state.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I am thinking about the LFI-I course in CT in September. I would appreciate feedback from the course that you are taking. My understanding is that it is split in 2: classroom and firearms training.
    Have fun!

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i want to buy some of his books but i have no money to do so so i sit in the book store and reed them lol
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I was able to get a couple of his books from our local library. Mathewsman, you might try finding your library online and searching through their book database to see what they have.

Mas is a great teacher and can really get the point across.

He helped me with a research paper on OIS Policy about twenty years ago. I finally broke down and attended L.F.I. 1 earlier this year. He is also a prolific writer that knows his subject material very well.

I may not agree with him on everything, but there's not much I disagree with him about. He understands human dynamics and is able to blend two diferent disciplines together seamlessly, shooting and the legal aspect of shooting. It's been said that teaching is an art form. Mas must have a Phd in the "art" of teaching.

IMO taking L.F.I. was the best gun "investment" I ever made, and I regret not making it sooner. If my choice is an LFI class or a $1,500 gun, give me the class. I'll buy a $300 gun and be better off.

Biker

My dad has a copy of Gravest Extreme, I am soon to be 26, and this is by far one of the most life altering books I've read. Truly should be read by anyone considering a firearm for CCW or even home protection.

PS: Other books that have influenced me as a young man;

The Hatchet
    BSA Hand Books
    The Hardy Boys
    The Stand

:)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

VIP Member
    Read his The Truth About Self Protection if you can find it.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    I am thinking about the LFI-I course in CT in September. I would appreciate feedback from the course that you are taking. My understanding is that it is split in 2: classroom and firearms training.
    Have fun!
    Yes, it's 10 hours a day (9am-7pm) for four days. Mostly it's class time, which consists of Mas discussing various topics, plenty of Q&A, and videos of Mas discussing other topics videotaped during other LFI-1 classes (he needs to give his voice a break every couple of hours!).

The 10 hours includes a working lunch, followed by 3 or 4 hours of range time (at least for days 1 and 2).

One of the students is keeping a more detailed day-by-day journal of the class on GlockTalk. Search for it in the Tactics and Training forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I may not agree with him on everything, but there's not much I disagree with him about. He understands human dynamics and is able to blend two diferent disciplines together seamlessly, shooting and the legal aspect of shooting. It's been said that teaching is an art form. Mas must have a Phd in the "art" of teaching.
    Amen! He could have been just as successful at acting or standup comedy, talents he uses to great effect in getting his points across.

IMO taking L.F.I. was the best gun "investment" I ever made, and I regret not making it sooner. If my choice is an LFI class or a $1,500 gun, give me the class. I'll buy a $300 gun and be better off.

Biker
    Amen again. I'd recommend it to anybody who carries a gun for self-defense.

1943 - 2009
    I confess, I first starting reading Ayoob's writings in the 1970s, but I have never read In The Gravest Extreme.

I checked it out from my county library today,

Better late than never.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links