"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

This is a discussion on "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One Second after was a pretty awesome book. Mythbusters did a show on EMP once. They went to some governmant facility where they create and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

One Second after was a pretty awesome book. Mythbusters did a show on EMP once. They went to some governmant facility where they create and EMP and pass things through it to test for hardening. On mythbusters they drove a car through it and the car came to a stop. The computer fried and that was it.

Anyway, great book, and well thought out. Especially the fact that they hit in the early spring, before the crops were in the ground. One wonders how the fuel delivery and agricultural systems would do in a situation such as this. Hoefully, better than they did in the book.

Ok, I'm going down to the basement now to count my food and medicine stores. lol.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

2. Remove Ads

You can also get it on audiiobook through Audible.com. It really gets you more into the story I think. Like a radio play with all the different characters.

emp

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    posably

not so fast on this one.
    an EMP is an electron pulse. any exposed wire will pick it up. And any coil of wire will multiply the signal.

Because of the intense electromagnetic fields (about 10 kV/m to 50 kV/m ) and wide area of coverage, the HEMP can induce large voltages and currents in power lines, communication cables, radio towers, and other long conductors serving a facility. Some other notable collectors of EMP include railroad tracks, large antennas, pipes, cables, wires in buildings, and metal fencing. Although materials underground are partially shielded by the ground, they are still collectors, and these collectors deliver the EMP energy to some larger facility. This produces surges that can destroy the connected device, such as, power generators or long distance telephone systems.

Semiconductor devices fail when they encounter an EMP because of the local heating that occurs. When a semi-conductive device absorbs the EMP energy, it displaces the resulting heat that is produced relatively slowly when compared to the time scale of the EMP. Because the heat is not dissipated quickly, the semiconductor can quickly heat up to temperatures near the melting point of the material. Soon the device will short and fail. This type of failure is call thermal second-breakdown failure.

I think this part is true. because it is in a static bag the charge would build on the outside and ground its self and not be able to enter the bag.

Many years ago i worked on B52 electronics that had been hardened against EMP (mostly self induced). None were placed in anti static bags.
    There was a very pliable metal call MU metal that totally enclosed all the important stuff.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I just finished reading "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. This book tells a story about the struggles of folks to survive in a small North Carolina town after America loses a war because of a terrifying weapon, an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP). It has been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, and has been discussed in the pentagon as a realistic look at EMPs and their ability to send shockwaves throughout the United States literally within seconds. Basically it is a dire warning of what might be our future... and our end.

This is along the line of "Lights Out" that many of us have read online.

More info at onesecondafter.com - Home Be sure and watch the two You Tube videos on the site.

It's a pretty powerful book. I enjoyed it and recommend it.
    Sounds interesting.

I'll have to check it out.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    One wonders how the fuel delivery and agricultural systems would do in a situation such as this. Hoefully, better than they did in the book.
    This freudian slip caused me to laugh out loud. Indeed, that is how our agricultural system would do it: with hoes!

I sent a link of this book to my pops - he's going to read it and let me know! Sounds interesting

Great book and suspenseful read. Also highly recommend "The Road." Similar thoughts but much more nerve racking.

bumping this so more people might see it. I have the book and it really is a great read.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Since my previous post in July '09 (Wow!), I have purchased this book from Audible and will be listening to it after my hip replacement in less than two weeks.
    Looking forward to it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the bump. I'll definitely check this out

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    One Second After is one of my favorite books.

Lights Out By David Crawford is also very very good.

If you liked One Second After...it was based on the book "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank written in 1959.

It's also an awesome read.

Another book worth checking out is "Patriots" by John Wesley Rawles.

The books mentioned have been read, and are on the shelf as reference material. If you can find a copy of "Unintended Consequences" - get it, read it. About the size of War and Peace, but a very interesting read.

A Faraday Cage can protect electronics - Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pretty easy to build - How to Build a Faraday Cage | eHow.com

But you can also use an old microwave oven for a small Faraday Cage - Microwave Oven Used As A Faraday Cage? (Modern Survival Blog)

The microwave oven can hold small parts such as a spare computer for your car, FRS radios for the neighborhood watch, etc.

Three good sized nukes (high air-burst) properly placed could fry CONUS.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    U.S. Navy 1965 - 1978

Quote Originally Posted by greeby View Post
    If you liked One Second After...it was based on the book "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank written in 1959.

It's also an awesome read.
    More based off a late 70's novel called Lucifer's Hammer. Same concept, but with an asteroid hitting earth. Basically took the book and updated it with a more plausible modern day activity.
    Still a great book and a good read. If anything, it'll make you question your place of residence. Thankful I live in Michigan where winters may be harsh, but plenty of fertile farmland a tons of live game.

Oh, and the author is a personal friend of New Gingrich.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links