"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

This is a discussion on "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; get and keep a tube radio handy .... EMP's wont' knock it out....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

get and keep a tube radio handy .... EMP's wont' knock it out.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Great book. I loved patriots also. There are some great books out there on teotwawki and what not but you have to be careful about not becoming to paranoid like i did. Start buying ammo and stuff......geez.......crazy folk!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    sojourner, the answer is that all electronics could be fried including your safe. Thats exactly why I went with a manual dial.

I have a manual lock safe and my son has an electrical dial lock safe. He has an a key that can open the safe if the electric lock fails. The manual key lock is located beneath ( not below) the electric dial
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I think of the EMP phenomenon like I think of the Y2K fearmongering that went around at the turn of the century; I say this because I remember well the spirited discussions I had with people who were absolutely convinced that we were on the path to anarchy when the computers and the calendars rolled over on 1/1/2000.

What happened? absolutely nothing. Now, comparing an EMP with Y2k is comparing Apples and Oranges, but the fearmongering is the same. So here are some facts:

If the EMP weapon were to go off high in our atmosphere, yes, it would most likely trip the electrical grids nationwide, but understand that those grids would be back in a matter of hours or days at the most. Why? because of all the ground fault and surge protections built into the grid. And I don't care how powerful the pulse is, it is still going to ground potential eventually. Power plants have the best earth grounds in the grid, with huge copper conductors going way down into bedrock, as does all of the switchyards, etc.

Yes, there will be computers fried yes there will be cell phones and motor vehicles out of order, but understand that the power, especially emergency power will be brought back in a matter of hours for smaller units that can be started quickly, and longer for the larger base loaded units. But the power will come back. An EMP is a voltage pulse, but it doesn't have a tremendous amount of electrical current behind it. Current is what causes the damage, and thats why the cell phones and computers everywhere will die a horrible death because they operate an very minute amounts of current. A house, or a city street or an air conditioner does not. To fry equipment like that takes a sustained burst of much higher current levels that an EMP blast simply cannot supply. The russians understood this during the cold war, that is why they were still using vacuum tube-based electronics in their fighter and bomber aircraft even into the collapse of the soviet union. So any solid-state or vacuum tube based equipment will survive, aas well as electrical equipment that can withstand more than a few amperes of current continuous........

Yes, a lot of stuff will fry, but not much that will keep us from getting water, air conditioning and critical supplies. And spare parts for the electronics will not fry because most of it today is packaged in static-free packaging and the equipment is not hooked up or more importantly grounded to anything.........

Ahhhh I'm not sure about all that. An EMP is an ELECTRO MAGNETIC PULSE. This will cause high voltages,and currents to flow in circuits not designed for them. This will happen by induction. Grounding something wont always save it from an EMP... Just give the EMP induced current a path of flow. A farraday cage would be the best protection available. However electronics can be hardened. This is basically the same theory as the faraday cage. There is a metal cage covering the device electronics, and there is MOV (Metal oxide varistors) protection, as well as HFC fused protecting circuits. and plenty of diode filter arrays. Depending on the strength, wavelength, and duration of the pulse. Some newer electronics is somewhat hardened. If someone wanted to see the effects of an EMP on a small scale ... use one of those shake up flashlights right next to your computer. I will not accept the bill for a new computer.

Now... having said this It may appear that I know what I'm talking about... I dont. I'm not an electrical engineer... I only play one on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    get and keep a tube radio handy .... EMP's wont' knock it out.
    What are you going to listen to and where is the power coming from? EMP will fry batteries too.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Anybody watch Revolution the other night? Pretty good pilot episode
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    What are you going to listen to and where is the power coming from? EMP will fry batteries too.
    Fill me in on tha one..my understanding is EMP's do not fry batteries
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

have a tube radio and tube TV ... EMP's wont' damage it, anything with a transistor would be toast.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    have a tube radio and tube TV ... EMP's wont' damage it, anything with a transistor would be toast.

What stations will be transmitting?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

Since my post in Sept., I've been digging around trying to figure out what the EMP will do. Today's search led me here and actually it pretty well summerizes what I've been reading. Emp?????? It's a lot more complicated than I ever thought.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

This EMP stuff is nothing new. It does not in it's self harm humans. Electronic equipment that is turned off during an EMP event is not harmed. This was part of basic NBC training 40 years ago . Over the last 40 years they have done a good job of making weapons system that can deploy a EMP . Well of course they have why do you think they train for the event.
    Nothing new here slow news week.
    Short read on the subject
    http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/army/m...7-1/merkle.htm
    CaptSmith likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links