"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

This is a discussion on "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just finished reading "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. This book tells a story about the struggles of folks to survive in a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

"One Second After" by William R. Forstchen

I just finished reading "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. This book tells a story about the struggles of folks to survive in a small North Carolina town after America loses a war because of a terrifying weapon, an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP). It has been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, and has been discussed in the pentagon as a realistic look at EMPs and their ability to send shockwaves throughout the United States literally within seconds. Basically it is a dire warning of what might be our future... and our end.

This is along the line of "Lights Out" that many of us have read online.

More info at www.onesecondafter.com Be sure and watch the two You Tube videos on the site.

It's a pretty powerful book. I enjoyed it and recommend it.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

the whole EMP scenario is scary. My immediate question is: will my gun safes with electronic locks be rendered inoperable?

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post, I might have to get for my upcoming vacation.

Everyone should 'bookmark' this site and read...lots of thoughts to ponder.
    We'd be in a 'heck of a fix' if something like this happened...talk about your SHTF scenario...this is a 'whopper'.

Stay armed...be prepared, don't say you weren't told...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have read this book, and it is a scary situation to think about. The leading scientist on EMP's said that 90 percent of the US population would die within the first 6 months if this situation occurred. If that doesn't scare you i dont know what will. After reading this book I have been trying to make plans as to what i would do in this situation and its a hard thing to do, there are so many things that you would have to account for. Sorry for rambling, this is a MUST read for anyone and everyone!

Administrator
    +1 on the above post by Urk 22.

EMP - Bad Ju Ju - I will buy that book.

I read this book last month while on a cruise. I have been a CCW holder for the past three years and only carried occasionaly. However, after reading that book I have been carrying everywhere legally allowed except in the shower.

Everyone needs to read that book to get a glimpse of what could happen when TSHF and society breaks down. Book is fictional but it still makes you think.

If you only read one book this year make it "One Second After".

EMP's.......Zombies.........Civil Unrest & Chaos......... Whatever the reason for anarchy.....just make sure you have plenty of ammo!
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

It is said that in a situation like in the book, ammo becomes currency. People would trade food for just a couple of bullets. Thats something to ponder....
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urk 22 View Post
    It is said that in a situation like in the book, ammo becomes currency. People would trade food for just a couple of bullets. Thats something to ponder....

Or a situation like we're already in.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar

One second after

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    the whole EMP scenario is scary. My immediate question is: will my gun safes with electronic locks be rendered inoperable?
    sojourner, the answer is that all electronics could be fried including your safe. Thats exactly why I went with a manual dial.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

And exactly why I'm on the market for a manual dial. Doesn't have to be EMP, just a power outage... Though I always figured they'd have some kind of key or manual override for the safes. I guess not.

Gonna go get that book now.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    OK, I am not even going to comment on the EMP acronym.

But it does illustrate just how dependent we all are on electricity.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I read that book a few weeks ago. It was depressing but was very good in an eye-opening kind of way. I usually think of having to be self-sufficient for a week or two at most; surviving for a year is quite another matter.

I think of the EMP phenomenon like I think of the Y2K fearmongering that went around at the turn of the century; I say this because I remember well the spirited discussions I had with people who were absolutely convinced that we were on the path to anarchy when the computers and the calendars rolled over on 1/1/2000.

What happened? absolutely nothing. Now, comparing an EMP with Y2k is comparing Apples and Oranges, but the fearmongering is the same. So here are some facts:

If the EMP weapon were to go off high in our atmosphere, yes, it would most likely trip the electrical grids nationwide, but understand that those grids would be back in a matter of hours or days at the most. Why? because of all the ground fault and surge protections built into the grid. And I don't care how powerful the pulse is, it is still going to ground potential eventually. Power plants have the best earth grounds in the grid, with huge copper conductors going way down into bedrock, as does all of the switchyards, etc.

Yes, there will be computers fried yes there will be cell phones and motor vehicles out of order, but understand that the power, especially emergency power will be brought back in a matter of hours for smaller units that can be started quickly, and longer for the larger base loaded units. But the power will come back. An EMP is a voltage pulse, but it doesn't have a tremendous amount of electrical current behind it. Current is what causes the damage, and thats why the cell phones and computers everywhere will die a horrible death because they operate an very minute amounts of current. A house, or a city street or an air conditioner does not. To fry equipment like that takes a sustained burst of much higher current levels that an EMP blast simply cannot supply. The russians understood this during the cold war, that is why they were still using vacuum tube-based electronics in their fighter and bomber aircraft even into the collapse of the soviet union. So any solid-state or vacuum tube based equipment will survive, aas well as electrical equipment that can withstand more than a few amperes of current continuous........

Yes, a lot of stuff will fry, but not much that will keep us from getting water, air conditioning and critical supplies. And spare parts for the electronics will not fry because most of it today is packaged in static-free packaging and the equipment is not hooked up or more importantly grounded to anything.........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links