Practical Unarmed Combat from SouthNarc

This is a discussion on Practical Unarmed Combat from SouthNarc within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see that the last time that this DVD was discussed was March of 2008 (thread is closed). But since I just viewed this video, ...

Thread: Practical Unarmed Combat from SouthNarc

Practical Unarmed Combat from SouthNarc

I see that the last time that this DVD was discussed was March of 2008 (thread is closed). But since I just viewed this video, I wanted to post my thoughts.

For the last couple of years, I have been training in various aspects of combatives, i.e. stick, knife, empty hands, guns, etc. and have come to realize that a lot of our training in the gun world is simply “feel good” training. We focus on “gun fighting” instead of fighting with a gun as one of the tools.

We all try to learn useful skills such as drawing from concealment, hitting center mass, getting off the X, shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, etc. These are all very important skills to have in the tool box. But this type of training doesn’t go far enough.

Unfortunately, most of the close quarters training we see seems to consist of using our support arm to “create distance”. We learn about the Tueller Drill. We talk about never letting people get close enough for us to have to go hands on. We merely pay lip service to the realities of a real criminal attack.

But as SouthNarc says, “bad guys don’t start attacks from across the street using a bull horn”.

One other area of training that most trainers only pays lip service to is avoiding a conflict.

I’ve heard a lot of talk about “managing unknown contacts”. This is a phrase coined by SouthNarc to describe the process of interacting with an unknown person who approaches you. You don’t know if they are a good guy or a bad guy. They are merely an unknown contact.

Several trainers I have worked with who really know how to take care of themselves have said that one of the best DVD’s out there about avoiding conflicts if possible and what to do if they can’t be avoided is SouthNarc’s Practical Unarmed Combat from Shivworks.

For anyone who doesn’t know who SouthNarc is, he is an active law enforcement officer who has spent most of his career in drug enforcement; much of that as an undercover narc. His DVD is based on his real world experience and shows what works on the street.

I recently bought this DVD and have just finished watching it for 4th time.

Except for the last few minutes of the DVD which shows the default position, eye jabs, elbow strikes and hammer fist strikes, there is no fighting in the program.

The vast majority is devoted to managing unknown contacts and trying to avoid the conflict.

I have to say that of all the DVD’s about self defense I have ever seen, this is head and shoulders above the rest.

In the video, SouthNarc shows how to use an escalating verbal challenge to tell the bad guy to back off.

He shows the importance of using your hands as a fence between you and the bad guy. This fence not only emphasizes to the bad guy that you want him to back off, it keeps your arms chambered to allow a quick covering of the head or a quick attack on the bad guy. This position makes either action extremely quick.

He talks about moving hard to the bad guy’s flank either 3 or 9 o’clock so you can’t be pinned down and can also check for other bad guys without taking your focus off the guy in front of you.

One interesting area was the pre-attack indicators or “tells” that bad guys usually do before actually attacking.

He then goes into the default position which is a move to keep you from getting knocked down or knocked out in that moment when you lose the initiative. By that, I mean that you missed the cues and didn’t realize the fight was on until the guy tries to sucker punch you.

From the default position, he shows how to use non-loading elbow and hammer fist strikes so the bad guy doesn’t see you throwing them until it’s too late to stop them.

I am so pumped after watching this DVD. I have been training in Rodney King’s Crazy Monkey Defense system and I believe that the default position and various strikes shown on the DVD will fit right in with this training.

I can’t say enough about this video. If you are serious about understanding how a typical criminal attack occurs on the street and want to know how to avoid or defend against them, you have got to have this DVD.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

2. Remove Ads

Forget the video, go take a class with Craig! Well worth the money and you will defineately fight in the class. He also does a fantastic job at the back to basics, especially with the draw. I just thought that I had mastered the draw yrs ago until I trained with Southnarc. He truly refines you to the point that your draw is perfect and repeatable every time in the most confined of areas.

Sounds great! Thanks for the after action report.

Yet you forgot to post a link to the video!

SouthNarc's Practical Unarmed Combat DVD can be found here.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Forget the video, go take a class with Craig! Well worth the money and you will defineately fight in the class. He also does a fantastic job at the back to basics, especially with the draw. I just thought that I had mastered the draw yrs ago until I trained with Southnarc. He truly refines you to the point that your draw is perfect and repeatable every time in the most confined of areas.
    Agree in part. I am just waiting until the schedule for 2010 is finalized to see when Craig is coming to Manassas, VA for ECQC. I'm escalating the workouts in order to get into shape for it. Looking forward to getting my butt kicked in style.

However, I can't agree with forgetting the video. It is still the best thing out there for repeated reference for managing unknown contacts.

I am jealous that you have trained with Craig and I haven't yet. I will resolve that next year.

Bark'n - thanks for posting the link.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Links