Gun Digest Book of Sig-Sauer

This is a discussion on Gun Digest Book of Sig-Sauer within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By Massad Ayoob 5 Well time for some more gun books Ive been reading a lot but no time for reviews not much in CCW ...

Thread: Gun Digest Book of Sig-Sauer

Gun Digest Book of Sig-Sauer

By Massad Ayoob

Well time for some more gun books Ive been reading a lot but no time for reviews not much in CCW books these days that hasn't been covered.

So Ive been reading the Gun Digest style books so hopeful People newer to guns might think to pick one up for their gun or one they are thinking of buying

2 things about the book first off even though it is only about 2 years old it doesn't cover some of the Sig's out there not the authors fault just that Sig has been on the warpath getting new guns to market

The other is the placement of the Chapters Manipulation of pistol, Shooting the Sig And General Maintenance of the Sig.

I would prefer these to be at front of the book instead of starting page 110..

The Reviews of the pistol working of the pistol's are excellent there is a great telling of any upgrades to models and what to look for in telling a older vs newer model.

Also it covers all styles of trigger Except the 220SAO but hey that was releases 4/2006 so well ya know also the SAS isn't covered in the Book but that is a late last year release.

Right off the bat you get a good reading on how the Author feels about Sig and what are his fav's and the reliability of the Sig and a History of Sig Arms Plus the various Changes to some of the pistols and all manner of the trigger systems..

Chapter one we get right into the good stuff the P220
    What else can be said about these guns there sweet

I know everyone thinks i hate Sig's i don't hate them just the trigger controls since I'm a lefty and that is covered in the book to how to do everything as a lefty...

This is one reason why i complain about where they put Manipulation of the pistol most people might not look to the back to see if there is a way for Lefty's to run it.

Then there are chapters on the 225,226,228,229 only pistol Ive ever sold i regretted 357 Sig to ,232 and 230,239,245,Sig Pro the 1911 and Hammerli and the 210.

While all that is good and mostly what i got the book for it does cover what mags to use and not use in the Sig what versions just like glock to look for and avoid

Most of the main P series all run the Same except the 232 and 230 which being a 380 are Quite different

Now when we get to the Manipulation of the pistol buying the book really pays off along with Shooting the Sig and the Chapter don't let your Sig go sour..

The Manipulation and shooting chapters are the best most in depth Chapters of this style i have read in any gun book .. This is why it should have been chapter #1 for my taste .. Plus the pics there more pics of the gun being handled to go with the text than Ive seen in any other book of this style..

Do i need it not really the lefty stuff is nice and makes more sense than some of the other ways Ive read.. But someone new to the Sig it would be useful to them or new shooters in General

This also discusses various way to load the pistol not just the grab slide groove and pull also shows one handed reloading and yes shows it some really good ideals..

Now here is the real shocker to me the stuff about Draw from concealment is HOLY COW showing a guy drawing with the gun actually concealed and not using a huge paddle holster he is actually dressed like a real person and carry like you or i would not just the quick after thought pics for sure..

One other thing i haven't seen before is showing using a shoulder holster that is a nice addition ...

I could go on and on about these Chapters but its best for you to read it yourself i was really impressed and Right now thats been hard to do i read the book in a few hours

Owners of the SIG Pistols should buy the book ..
    Even some non owners should get it for the Handling chapters most of it could be applied to any Gun

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up Sounds like a real nice book.

It would be nice having an entire book dedicated to all facets of SIG firearms.

Thanks Bud for the Look into the Book.

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent review their Bud and thx.

Sounds like a bonus for both prospective and current owners.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Thanks, Bud. You sold me. As a new Sig owner I know I will learn a lot from the book and will have one on order as soon as I close this post.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    I bought that book shortly after it came out and thought it was great. A lot of good and interesting history in it. It would be great if it was updated every few years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    I bought that book shortly after it came out and thought it was great. A lot of good and interesting history in it. It would be great if it was updated every few years.

That i agree i think they should roll out a updated book next year with all the new models from past couple years

VIP Member
    Hey, Bud, got an email Saturday morning stating that my copy shipped on May 19. I can hardly wait to start reading it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Good deal let me know if its updated in any way

Thanks. Considering buying a 229 or 239.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    So this is an updated release or a reprint?

VIP Member
    Bud: It has the same copyright date as the one you reviewed, 2004. As far as I can tell there has been no update.

Colin: No update, just a copy of the 2004 version. It may be a new printing, but not new version.
    George

VIP Member
    My copy got here today. I have been reading it for the past hour. It is the 2004 edition, so nothing new. I'll post a review when I complete the reading. Although Bud's review was excellent and very complete I expect mine will be from a different angle since this is literally the first gun book that I have ever read. I have used some for research on a couple of S&W revolvers and have used a couple for checking values, but never have read one as a book. So in effect this will be book review by a newby to gun books. Got to go a book about Sigs is calling my name.
    George

I picked up this book at the last (Oct. '06) gun show at Birmingham's
    BJCC. What a great book, that belongs in every SIG's owners library.
    Good reference material inside, as written by Ayoob himself.

Links