Exec Protection book recommendations ?

This is a discussion on Exec Protection book recommendations ? within the Defensive Books, Video & References forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, Anyone have any good recommendations for books/DVDs covering the basics of Executive Protection ? The 'Exec' in my case is the family. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exec Protection book recommendations ?

Hi folks,

Anyone have any good recommendations for books/DVDs covering the basics of Executive Protection ?

The 'Exec' in my case is the family.

I appreciate a book is no alternative to proper and thorough training - but I don't have time for that as we are in Mexico for a week at the end of March and I'm thinking that at least reading through the basics, and mentally running through certain scenarios is going to be better than nothing at all. To be honest, most of my scenario planning has involved defense of the family with the use of a handgun for myself and wife, and a rifle - which obviously won't be available to us in Mx.

I'm thinking of threat ID, defensive driving, strategies for defending against carjacking etc rather than specifically unarmed self-defence.

Thanks - SDS

VIP Member
    Uh, first off. Is the family trip to Mexico really necessary? Why not vacation in a safer place?

First rule of self-defense; don't be where there is trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Uh, first off. Is the family trip to Mexico really necessary? Why not vacation in a safer place?

First rule of self-defense; don't be where there is trouble.
    Agreed. ^^

Planet Earth is pretty darn big, wide, and varied.
    Mexico would not even be among my top 20 places to visit as while alone never mind with my family for any reason.

I'd sooner camp my family in a tent on the streets of SE DC for a weeks 'vacation' than go to Mexico.

Mexico
    mexico kidnappings - Google Videos

Also if I _had_ to go to MX for some odd reason I personally would have been doing my education toward the environment and it's dangers as well as planning for 'events' and doing environment specific training & skills building (as courses AND book reading) a full year prior. Minimum 4 months....Minimum.

With roughly two weeks notice I don't know what one could realistically do and be functional toward. : |

It would be interesting to hear input/feedback on this as from Tom Perroni.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Do you know Spanish? Mexican culture? Mexican laws? Do you have detailed maps of all the areas where you are traveling? Phone numbers of local police, non-scam taxi's, friends, the US embassy... will your cell phone even work?

Do all the people in your party know all the above?

Did you pull crime statistics for the areas you are traveling to? Or traveling through? Are you staying in an "Americanized resort" or really visiting Mexico?

Do you know how to property steralize water and have the equipment for it? Know what food is safe to eat? Do you brush your teeth using water form the sink? (Everyone I know who has spent more than a few days in Mexico has suffered food poisning...)

I think 90% of the "exec protection" is in (boring) research and making intelligent decisions about who/what/where/when/why/how you are going to do whatever it is you want to do. Seeing as your trip is already planned, you are not left with a lot of options.

It is GREAT that you are working toward safety, but ultimately, if you travel to another country, you are at the mercy of the locals and your own common sense.

SurvivalBlog.com

Has some good info in the old travel blogs from someone with a lot of experience in South American countries. Search for "travel" and read what you find...

PS: Don't let the paranoia around here ruin your vacation! :)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

If you've got to go....

Checkout the media section at Tactical Response Tactical Response Gear
    They teach Exec Protection courses and have some good books and dvd's.

Words of Wisdom by Janq

Janq is spot on in his assessment of traveling to Mexico.

I would also caution against driving in Mexico! Stick to taxi's or public transportation. Mexican's are known to intentionally get into accidents with foreign drivers. The law enforcement is corrupt and unless you have a lot of cash, to bribe the LEO's and the one who hit you, a minor fender bender could land you in a Mexican jail.

My nephew is a Border Patrol Agent. He say's travel in Mexico is not for the naive or people who are not savvy or done their proper preparation. The travel agencies are all out to make a buck, they will lie to you with a straight face and gladly take your money and could care less if you or your family land in a Mexican jail for an undetermined amount of time, kidnapped or killed.

I would however recommend the book:
    Adventure Travel in the Third World
    By Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin
    Foreword by Robert Young Pelton

Do you have the urge to travel to places where "tourists don't go"? Where an American Express card is a curiosity and a first-aid kit a luxury? Where you might rely on the latest and greatest in adventure gear, only to find the locals wear nothing but a loincloth and a smile? If this sounds like your idea of a great time, then you've found the right book. Authors Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin have logged thousands of miles overseas and have years of experience leading travelers deep in the wildest cities and most rugged backcountry of the Third World. In this book, they help you recognize and minimize the many risks that come with venturing way, way off the beaten path so that you can come home with stories the average tourist will never be able to tell. The authors' hard-earned secrets for staying healthy, happy, and at home in remote and dangerous places include:

Researching your destination the right way before you depart - Arriving in your host country safely and with all your gear intact - Acquiring guides for "abnormal" travels without getting rebuffed or shot - Bribing and smuggling as last-ditch survival tools - Dealing with the many and varied temptations of city and nightlife - Being safe and self-sufficient while journeying deep in the bush.

So get your affairs in order and have your cash tucked away, because you are about to enter the exhilarating world of adventure travel in the Third World.

Paperback: 280 pages, 50 photos
    Publisher: Paladin Press; ISBN: 1581603819
    Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin run Randall's Adventure Training which offers jungle survival training in the Peruvian Jungle in South America several times a year as well as domestic survival training classes and are the designers of the famous RAT Cutlery line of Fixed Blade Knives. Their book is a wealth of information and critically acclaimed.

Then again, you can always do what most American's do... Go down there without a clue or a care in the world as to what's going on and hope for the best! More than likely you'll have a great time!

But for me... Mexico is a No Go these days!

I have a couple horror stories from personal friends who have traveled in Mexico including one death in Mexico from a car wreck while driving down there which almost became an international incident. The girls father, a Fire Captain had to spend thousands of dollars to have his daughters body smuggled back to the USA just to be buried in her home country and additional thousands of dollars to get her husband out of a Mexican prison over the accident. The US Consulate was of no use. Not a good honeymoon for his daughter and new son-in-law. It was a Mexican truck driver whose brakes went out and ran right over the top of them from behind in their car on a mountain road. Guess who was blamed in the accident?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Just Two Seconds, Gavin de Becker; is an excellent read on Executive Protection, it is not going to get you much further than the proper mindset though.

I used to travel into Mexico a couple of times a year 30 plus years ago and it was very rough then. I wouldn't even think of going now with my family, unless an America resort type place, and then it still would not be my first choice.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I live 20 miles from Mexico and there are Mexican Americans that won't go to Mexico,The DPS(State Troopers)Issued a warning to people coming down for spring break not to go to Mexico.It's your decision if you go,but there is a risk
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks guys !

...some good recommendations there - thanks nutz4utwo, horse2water, bark'n on the Jeff Randall book (which I will get) and the Gavin De Becker recommendation (already have and halfway through). The tactical response gear website has an interesting book - SURVIVAL DRIVING - I will look into that.

I am fully - painfully - aware of the specific risks with regard to Mx right now; but just trying to do the best with the hand I've been dealt. I'm hoping that keeping off the radar with a cheap watch, the car looking crappy and generally a "we've got no money" appearance is going to help, with last ditch being foxlabs and the ka-bar TDI, with the wife carrying similar - all easily ditchable. The car has lojack and I'm going to hardwire in a spare cellphone as a backup tracker (but who the heck knows if the Mx cops can - or would - use either method). Plenty of $20 bills for the inevitable shakedowns.

The recommendation about having all your info straight and replicated is a good basic reminder - thanks nutz - I need to make several copies and have them secreted away.

Thanks again guys...

In the past 2-3 days I've gotten half way through Tom Patire's Personal Protection Handbook Lots of family, home, out of home and personal protection stuff, light reading, lots of common sense reminders and a few good tips I hadn't yet heard.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    2 Americans killed in drive-by shooting in Mexico - Yahoo! News

The State Department authorized U.S. government employees at six U.S. consulates in northern Mexico to send their family members out of the area because of concerns about rising drug-related violence.
    I would certainly not go anywhere near those cities...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

A good book on executive protection is Robert Oatman's 'The Art of Executive Protection'.

A good book of travelling to dangerous places in Robert Young Pelton's 'The World's Most Dangerous Places.' The 4th edition had a chapter on Mexico. He also has a web site that often has current info:

The Black Flag Cafe© • Index page

Do a search for Mexico.

Service Member’s Personal Protection Guide: A Self-Help Handbook to Combating TERRORISM
    http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/cjc...i/gude5260.pdf

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

As reported today by ABCNews:

Groom Kidnapped From Wedding, Murdered
    3 men kidnapped from a wedding in Juarez, Mexico, found beaten to death.
    01:02 | 05/12/2010

Video report - Three men kidnapped from a wedding ceremony are found dead - ABC News

Note these men were all from New Mexico, USA in Juarez, MX for the days wedding event as participants.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links