Couldn't pass it up!

This is a discussion on Couldn't pass it up! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son gave me a catalog with CZ-82 in it for $189 (Excel-Like New condition). I like military/police firearms as they're more about function than ...

Thread: Couldn't pass it up!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Thumbs up Couldn't pass it up!

My son gave me a catalog with CZ-82 in it for $189 (Excel-Like New condition). I like military/police firearms as they're more about function than looks, and who really cares about the looks of a concealed firearm, right?

I search the sites and the CZ-82 has great reviews. The 9x19 Makarov runs between the .380 and 9mm Luger, which is fine for me. 12-13 rounds of anything is pretty discouraging. So, why not?

Monday I call to order. $189s are out of stock. Okay, I'll take the next one down-$169 for Very Good - Excellent. Add in an extra 12 rd mag.

Weds, the local store leaves a message to come pick it up. Wow, fast. Today I pick it up. It's in a plastic bag as it's been dipped in a oily preservative.

The store has only expensive SD 9x18 ammo or steel-cased. I pass; there's brass target ammo around for less, and I reload.

I strip the gun down, degease it, give it a shot of Rem-Oil, and a shot of CLP in the critical spots. Same deal for the dirty mags.
    Presto-chango! This baby's ready to go.

The finish is better than I expected (some holster wear on the slide nose, a few nicks and scrapes to the powdercoat finish, but no physical damage).

This gun is impressive. It fits my hand like they made it especially for me. A tad heavy as it's all-steel, but I don't mind a bit. I think too many of us are getting spoiled by the light-weight plastics.

No holster yet, but carried Mexican-style, it disappears better than my G30.

The SA/DA trigger is smooth and breaks crisply. A bit long and heavy in DA, but not too bad.
    Ambi mag release. Ambi external safety that locks the hammer and the slide. It will not engage unless the hammer's back. I guess the designers figured the long heavy trigger pull was safe enough. I can't disagree. This gun is designed to be carry locked and cocked or one in the chamber unlocked and uncocked.

I hope to get out to the range next week and wring it out. Future plans are to tear it down, strip the old finish off, apply matte-black DuraBake, and install a nice set of wood grips from Marschels. Wolff has a spring kit for @$19.

Then again, it shoots really good, I may have to order the $159 Good to VG version for a project gun. Hey, maybe it can function good and get a facelift too!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    C'mon man - don't do that to us - we need pics!

VIP Member
    Well, for now it looks just like the issue version of any other CZ-82, but I'll post some after the remodeling is done.
    Last edited by OldVet; March 11th, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What catalog did you buy it out of? I've been looking for a inexpensive project gun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

No fair!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well, for now it looks just like the issue version of any other CZ-82, but I'll post some after teh remodeling is done.
    NO fair! Any and every beauty transformation includes both before and after photos.

Besides, you can't talk up a gun like that without giving us a chance to ogle it!
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    NO fair! Any and every beauty transformation includes both before and after photos.

Besides, you can't talk up a gun like that without giving us a chance to ogle it!
    All right all ready. I'll take a picture as soon as I figure out how to load the film cartridge and find my magicubes.

Film...... what's film.

Congrats on the new addition.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Congrats! It sounds like a good buy. But you forgot the pictures!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Yep PICTURES.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Good buy!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Rotating majic cubes and 126. I am guessing your camera doesn't have a USB port.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links