M&P or XDm?? - Page 2

M&P or XDm??

This is a discussion on M&P or XDm?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The M&P is the way to go. In fact, with an $29 sear upgrade from Apex Tactical, you can have a trigger that nearly rivals ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P or XDm??

The M&P is the way to go. In fact, with an $29 sear upgrade from Apex Tactical, you can have a trigger that nearly rivals a custom 1911.

The sear takes less than 5 minutes to install and the only tool needed is a 1/8" punch.

Apex site: http://apextactical.com/hp_zencart/i...3a3luv9jk6tid7

I have upgraded all 5 of my M&P's with the new Apex sear... Even my M&P Pro's... Yes, it is that good.

Another benefit to buying the M&P is that you are supporting a 100% American made product. With the economy the way it is going, it would be better if we weren't supporting Croatian firearms factories.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I have the M&P45 and the M&P9c and am thrilled with both so my choice would be these. Plus right now, Smith is offering two free mags or a $50 rebate on the M&P's. IMHO, the M&P's really have a lot going for them and are getting quite the following due to the ergonomics, reliability and accuracy. I really enjoy the lower bore axis on the M&P as it helps in controlling recoil as well. When it gets right down to it, whichever feels best in your hand and strikes your fancy will be the right one for you as it's your hard earned dollars at risk.
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Though the M&P is growing on me, I still love my XDm. I would choose the XDm over the M&P, but will eventually end up owning both. Both are great guns, but the XDm is just more "me."

I like the M&P a bit better..I actually like both..But id probably go with M&P. I like both the M&P or the XD over Glock though and would take either B4 a Glock.

I like both, myself, and if I could, id own both. I have a M&P 9C, and have had an XD45 in the past. When I was shopping for my M&P, I also compared it to the XD. I just liked the balance of the M&P better. The fit to my hand worked better too. Not by much, but it did.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I own M&P and XD. Please don't make me pick one

I love my M&P's ergonomics
    I love my XD's capacity
    I love my M&P's stainless construction
    I love my XD's aftermarket availability
    I love my M&P's contained recoil spring assembly
    I love my XD's 5" barrel
    I love my M&P's sear disconnect feature
    I love my XD's balance
    I love my M&P's low bore axis and crisp trigger
    I love my XD's ambidextrous magazine release
    I love my M&P's take down tool (very useful, you can actually take the firing pin out with it. XD not so much)
    I love my XD's tru glo night sights

The firing pin assembly on the M&P seems more robust, the firing pin block also engages the firing pin shaft on the M&P. The thing that gets me with the M&P is the lower capacity and lack of aftermarket availability (although it's improving)

If zombies rose from the grave or I could only have 1 magazine my XD is the one I would grab

If the SHTF or I needed to take down targets past 50 yards the M&P is the ticket (for me)

Sorry for the long post.... BigStick... if you can buy them both at some point.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    get an m&p. far more reliable than an xdm.

it was fun watching rob leatham on the outdoors channel clearing 3 failures to feed in his 9mm XDM during an exhibition....
    Any data to back that up or is your opinion based on this one episode on the Outdoors Channel? Rob probably doesn't use an off the shelf XDm, wouldn't you think?

I like both, and would own both if the funds would allow. Right now I only have XDs and XDms though.

And on the backstrap, it is a pain in the butt. But I am not exactly changing them out all the time either.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    M&P has one extra step on the field strip to clean. You have to flip up the sear disconnect lever to get the slide off the frame which is no big deal. The sear disconnect tool is on the bottom of the grip.
    You can bypass this extra step by just pulling the trigger on it to release the slide. I have never used the disconnect lever on my M&Pc40. Of course make sure your gun is unloaded and pointing in a safe direction prior to doing this.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I own and like the M+P .40. I have 200 rds through it with ZERO failures. I also like the lighter trigger pull and adjustable grip.

I would go with the M&P, though I am a bit biased as I own a FS M&P. I've handled a couple of XDs though and still prefer the feel, low bore axis etc of the M&P. Probably the only thing I don't really like is that the grip isn't quite textured enough for me, though that can be remedied. While I like the feel/pull of the trigger, I prefer non-hinged metal triggers, that being said it is not a big deal, just personal preference. A couple of things I like that I don't think has been pointed out, the slide is a bit thinner on the M&P and it seems a lot less blocky due to the shape of the slide which makes it a bit better for CC, and since I'm a 1911 guy I dig the generous beavertail.

My wife owns the S&W Sigma in 9mm, I hate the trigger. I know the M&P is different, I have handled them, they don't fit my hand like the XDm. I have both the XD40 and the XDm40. They are both accurate, function flawlessly, and fit my hand better than anything else I have handled. Ergonomics is one of the biggest selling points for Springfield. That and their industry leading customer service.

Someone wrote about changing the sear in the S&W, you don't have to in the XDm, it has a great trigger right out of the box. The capacity is a big factor for me. With an available magazine extension from Brownells you can have 21 rounds of available .40 S&W without a reload.

Everyone recommends what they own, but there is a reason that they own what they like. Try to shoot both, find a range that rents them, then buy what feels like home in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalendenver View Post
    My wife owns the S&W Sigma in 9mm, I hate the trigger. I know the M&P is different, I have handled them, they don't fit my hand like the XDm. I have both the XD40 and the XDm40. They are both accurate, function flawlessly, and fit my hand better than anything else I have handled. Ergonomics is one of the biggest selling points for Springfield. That and their industry leading customer service.

Someone wrote about changing the sear in the S&W, you don't have to in the XDm, it has a great trigger right out of the box. The capacity is a big factor for me. With an available magazine extension from Brownells you can have 21 rounds of available .40 S&W without a reload.

Everyone recommends what they own, but there is a reason that they own what they like. Try to shoot both, find a range that rents them, then buy what feels like home in your hand.
    You don't have to change the trigger in any firearm, but many do to achieve trigger Nirvana. Although the 1911 has what is arguably the best trigger of any handgun, countless 1911 users still have trigger work done to improve them. Glock's have quite a few trigger upgrade options, but I don't see anyone counting that as a strike against the Glock brand.

If you really think that the XDm has a GREAT trigger out of the box, you may want to shoot a few more pistol brands... Your opinion will change.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

TGC
    Just pick one! Can't go wrong with either. I have an XDm, have never shot an M&P, but know people that do and they love theirs. I think either would be an excellent choice.

I bought an XDm .40 first. Very accurate, and very nice trigger. OTOH, it felt pretty top-heavy, and the grip texturing was more aggressive than I'd prefer. I liked the idea of having a made-in-America pistol as well. More options for holsters, it seems, as well.

Found a raging good deal on a full sized M&P .40, and sold off the XDm for the M&P. Bought a SuperTuck for the M&P, and have been happily carrying it since. The trigger on the M&P was pretty awful out of the box, but has improved some w. a few hundred rounds. I'll look into the alternate sear.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye680 View Post
    Any data to back that up or is your opinion based on this one episode on the Outdoors Channel? Rob probably doesn't use an off the shelf XDm, wouldn't you think?

I like both, and would own both if the funds would allow. Right now I only have XDs and XDms though.

And on the backstrap, it is a pain in the butt. But I am not exactly changing them out all the time either.

doesn't that generally mean hand picked?

my "data" stems from personal experience. i've owned n xd45 that was the worst gun purchase i've ever made. constantly jammed and horribly inaccurate. i've also seen way more xd/xdm's malfunction on the range than either glock or m&p. as have my friend, who owns the busiest range in the county.

although you can certainly choose to dismiss what i post, friend. it's a free country.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links