M&P or XDm??

M&P or XDm??

This is a discussion on M&P or XDm?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my next pistol choice down to two. The Sig P229 and the XDm in .40. Then I went to the gun shop and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&P or XDm??

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

M&P or XDm??

I had my next pistol choice down to two. The Sig P229 and the XDm in .40. Then I went to the gun shop and was comparing them again, and the worker pulled out the M&P for me to compare as well. And big surprise, I like that one too.

I decided that the SIG was a little out of my price range, and I like the lighter weights of the polymers as this will be a carry gun. Primarily for the range, but it will definitly be carried as well.

So I did a few searches on here, and found some comparissons of the M&P and Glocks, but I couldn't find anything comparing the XDm to the M&P. They seem pretty similar to me.

Capacity - XDm +1
    Interchangeable grips - both
    polyner frames
    comparable size - M&P might be slightly thinner, couldn't tell for sure(barrel length not a concern)
    price - M&P was a little less (not sure about accessories and add ons though, how do those compare?)

So what are your thoughts between the two?
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    M&P is better looking then the XDm IMO
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have the M&P but not the XDm. I don't thing you could go wrong with either. The M&P has one extra step on the field strip to clean. You have to flip up the sear disconnect lever to get the slide off the frame which is no big deal. The sear disconnect tool is on the bottom of the grip.

I have the XDm 3.8 40 and M&P 40 & 45c, they are all great guns, I think it comes down to which one fits you better. I love the M&Ps but I shoot better with the XDm.

I am very biased in that if I were given an M&P I would sell it because I hate the trigger. I really don't like hingey trigger set-up, I think the pull is too light and seems mushy to me. Also I know in Columbus when they switched to the they had a string of 12 ND's because the officers weren't trained on the trigger.

I am positive it can be trained around, but for me I don't see a reason to.

The XDm is nice, I shoot it well but the one I have trigger time on wears a hogue grip and it the grip feels egg shaped.

I like guns with flat sides 1911's, Glocks, Kahrs, LCP et cetera. But that is just me.

I think they are both great guns. I'd go to the range and try to rent one of each and see which one you like.

I have the M&P 45 and can say the trigger gets better after about 200 rounds.

Good luck.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I was lusting after an M&P, and then held the XDM. That settled it, and I bought it. Fell in love with the ambi mag release (as opposed to the reversible on the M&P - it makes a big difference in my opinion).
    Also loved the grip texture - very secure and grippy.

After owning it for a while though, one of the things that initially drew me to the pistol I have come to loath: the backstraps are interchangeable, sure, but you need a hammer and a punch to get the roll pin out. Based on that, I think my next purchase may end up being the M&P that I wanted all along - easy backstrap changes, easy take-down (one extra step isn't that big of a deal, although the XDM take down is a freaking cake walk!), it feels like a Cadillac in my hand.
    Also, watching so many police depts make the switch from Glock to the M&P kinda says something about the build quality and flexibility of the weapon. You don't see many depts switching to the XDM, do you? (just an observation, not a proof of any sort).
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

kpw
    The XDm is not lighter than the 229. They are both around 32 oz. empty. The XDm will be heavier loaded. Both nice guns. I like the trigger a bit better on the XDm and the lower bore axis on the M&P. I could live happily with either but the M&P seems a little easier to conceal to me.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I haven't fired a M&P but I will say I love the regular XD's.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Also I know in Columbus when they switched to the they had a string of 12 ND's because the officers weren't trained on the trigger.
    Rule #3 - Keep finger off trigger until actually intending to shoot.

get an m&p. far more reliable than an xdm.

it was fun watching rob leatham on the outdoors channel clearing 3 failures to feed in his 9mm XDM during an exhibition....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I haven't fired a M&P but I will say I love the regular XD's.

Rule #3 - Keep finger off trigger until actually intending to shoot.
    That was most of them... but the lesser know Rule #78 - "don't bump the trigger crawling through a window" would have helped too.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    That was most of them... but the lesser know Rule #78 - "don't bump the trigger crawling through a window" would have helped too.
    Even then they had to have their finger on it.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by reload View Post
    I have the XDm 3.8 40 and M&P 40 & 45c, they are all great guns, I think it comes down to which one fits you better. I love the M&Ps but I shoot better with the XDm.
    this is a good point the 3.8 is going to be my next one. my son in law bought one and i really like it.... almost as good as my XD9sc
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Yes egg feeling, thats how the M&P feels to me too..But since I am used to the thin SR-9 all of the others grips just feel bulky....Guess it is what u get used to though.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I say go with the XDM. I held the 3.8 XDM last week and it felt great. I just don't care for the look and feel of the M&P. It really comes down to what one feels good to you. I'm trying to fund my purchase of the XDM by selling my Glock.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links