Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power

This is a discussion on Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone tell me more about this pistol? Argentinian Hi-Power model FM90 semi auto pistol chambered for 9mm Luge r. Based off of the Browning ...

Thread: Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power

Senior Moderator

Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power

Can anyone tell me more about this pistol?

Argentinian Hi-Power model FM90 semi auto pistol chambered for 9mm Luger.

Based off of the Browning Hi Power (FN 1935 GP), these were produced under license by FM (Fabrica Militar - Industria Argentina). They feature a 4-5/8in barrel, black finish, fixed sights, spur hammer and hard rubber finger groove grips. May show slight wear but in overall excellent condition. Comes with one 13rd magazine. MFG# CIA 727X.

I would like to know if belgian mags fit it, if it as any known problems, etc.....

Thanks
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

I have one, and I've referred to it as my HiPower clone in my other posts.

I ordered mine from SARCO through an FFL dealer down here in Florida for about $280.00 (not counting transfer fees and shipping costs) about six years ago.

I've put perhaps 2,000 rounds through the gun, and it is a pleasure to shoot. I have very few malfunctions, and those only happened when I used substandard ammo from a gun show.

I really hated the grips and the enamel finish that came with the gun, so I had it professionally blued and used a screwdriver to put on a pair of Hogue wraparound grips.

The gun was fitted with loose tolerances, so it isn't as accurate as a competition gun (this gun actually rattles a little if you shake it), but it is utterly reliable and accurate enough at 10 yards for me to get all of my shots into an eight inch target, which is more than adequate for self-defense purposes.

The top of the slide has a lot of parallel lines milled into it that run from front sight to rear sight, which is good for cutting down glare. The design appears to be a Mk. III, as there is a magazine safety and a firing pin safety. This gun also has an ambidextrous thumb safety.

I appreciate this gun as it is flat, of moderate weight, and carries well through the day without giving me hip pain when I use an IWB holster.

I have run 115 grain hardball and 115 grain hollowpoints (Winchester 'White Box' brand from Wal-mart), 125 grain +P hollowpoints, military NATO surplus rounds, and Speer 9mm hardball.

The only rounds that ever made the gun choke was these non-toxic compressed copper rounds (I don't remember the brand or weight) and Glaser safety slugs with a blue tip.

As for the magazines, it came with two 13 rd. mags in the box, and I ordered an eclectic mix of magazines from Shotgun News. I have two 15 rd. chrome magazines from Mecgar, which functioned very well, two 17 rd. mags that are South African surplus that function well, and one 30 round magazine from a gun show that also does very well.

All in all, I'm very happy with the gun. The only other thing I want to do with it when I have the money is to install tritium night sights, and I also want to get a better holster.

The gun is easy to disassemble and clean, and the recoil is very moderate--nothing compared to my GF's .40 S&W Glock 22--and I find that I can get follow-up shots very quickly.

The gun is very ergonomic (for me), and a pleasure to shoot.

One day I'll post pictures so you folks can see it.

I hope this helps.

All my best,

---Kevin

Senior Moderator
    Thanks PaleHorse
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My daughter has one and although I was skeptical when she first got it I changed my mind after taking it apart and checking it over. Her's has tight tolerences and she has yet found ammo that would not run through it.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. This link might be of interest to you:

New FM 90 Pics - 1911Forum

Best.

Are the parts supposed to be 100% interchangeable with a BHP?

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the link Stephen

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links