Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on Glock 19 vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; you could go with the Glock 23 in 40 cal, get a 357 Sig drop-in barrel and also get a 9mm conversion barrel. In order ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

you could go with the Glock 23 in 40 cal, get a 357 Sig drop-in barrel and also get a 9mm conversion barrel. In order to make the 9mm most reliable, you'd need to change the extractor (simple procedure) to the 9mm. Make it more fun and even cheaper to shoot, you could invest in a Atvantage Arms 22LR conversion kit, or the Ceiner 22 LR conversion kit for the gun.
    With all of the above, you really have it covered.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I would go with the G19. I'll take a 9mm over a .40 any day of the week.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I've owned both. Liked both. I recommend the G19. The reason is this: Every time I go to range or farm to shoot, its the first gun I grab. Every time. I have about 5500 rounds through mine now and it ROCKS!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

If you are mandating yourself to only one...19. That is coming from a 23 EDCer. I LOVE my 23 but the 19 is the best all around compact CCW of the two, and one of the best in the world.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

GM
    If I had to choose between the G19 and G23 I would take the G19. I like 9x19 better than .40.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    glock 19.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I have decided on getting a compact glock but I can not determine which model I want. Hoping for people's input on the matter. I have shot both and enjoy shooting both, I just don't know which one to get for my carry weapon. Thanks in advance guys
    You want to know the truth? There is no versus anything when it comes to choosing the G19 or the G23. Just personal preference for one caliber over the other depending on circumstances. I like the G19 for competition since it is more cost effective on ammo. I like the G23 for carry since the 40S&W surpasses the 9mm to my liking for life saving purposes. The Glock compact models just pretty much peak at performance vs size in almost every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You want to know the truth? There is no versus anything when it comes to choosing the G19 or the G23. Just personal preference for one caliber over the other depending on circumstances. I like the G19 for competition since it is more cost effective on ammo. I like the G23 for carry since the 40S&W surpasses the 9mm to my liking for life saving purposes. The Glock compact models just pretty much peak at performance vs size in almost every way.
    ^^What he said.

I like the 19 because 9mm is cheaper to practice with, and has enough rounds if you ever need them. Other than that, lets get out the pop corn for the caliber war.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Personally, I like the fact that you can change the caliber from 40 S&W to 9mm to 357 sig with the G23/32 by simply replacing the barrel (and mags for the 9mm). The G19 will limit you to 9mm. You can also keep an eye out for the G32 (Same as G23 w/ 357 barrel) since they aren't as popular you might can score one for a lower price and still have the same options. I got a great deal on my LNIB G33 because nobody wanted the 357.

I'm going to have to third what Ram Rod said. Gun buffs say, "Oh man, you shoulda gone with the .40." I tell them, "Well, I'm new to guns, so that means practice, and practice means a round I can afford, and that means 9mm." And the 9mm that hits is a lot better than the .40 that misses. Actually, my concern was follow-up shots. If I had more money and was more experienced with the larger calibers, I would have likely gone with the .40.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

The 9mm has been proven to be an adequate round, which is why there are police that still choose the round for their officers. A nice 9mm self defense round does not leave me feeling unprotected, and since cost is an issue, I can get almost 3 boxes of 9mm for the price of 2 boxes of .40. No brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I am leaning towards the 19 because it is easier for my girlfriend to shoot and here in AZ I rarely see any 40 cal ammo on the shelves... well when they do have ammo on the shelves anyway..
    If this is a handgun that your girlfriend may have to use I suggest accomodating her preference and working from there.

If you can find my thread, "Spouse/Significant Other Compatability" it may give you some food for thought. I put my Hi Power back in the safe because my wife likes the Glock 19. She has one, and I carry a 19 and a 26. It would help you both, IMHO, if you look at your weapon as a "pool" weapon and plan accordingly.

That's my $0.02.

Biker

I carry a G23. I'd be just fine if I carried a G19. Either one would be an excellent choice.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You can't go wrong with either. I don't notice a huge difference between shooting 9mm and .40, so i went with the G23 for my EDC. Basically took my CPL instructor's advice: "carry the largest caliber you are most comfortable and accurate with". That being said, i wouldn't have a problem carrying a 19 either.

Regarding recoil. Don't most people use 9mm +P or +P+ SD ammo?

I have personally shot 9mm, 40 cal and 357 sig out of my G23. I did timed rapid fire shooting at an 8 inch shoot and see target. The split times and accuracy was the same with all three. Even the 9mm range ammo made no difference. I have large strong hands so,YMMV.

For me the fast follow up shot is not an issue. I want to stop them as fast as possible so I choose the 40 cal. Plus all the above was a barrel swap to 357sig and barrel and mag for the 9mm. 3 in one gun.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links