Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on Glock 19 vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kpw If I could only have one pistol for the rest of my life, it would be a G19...and lots of mags. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    If I could only have one pistol for the rest of my life, it would be a G19...and lots of mags.
    That is my next buy the 19. I have the 26 and can't put it down. More ammo options, and yes I have been buying hi-cap mag.s like crazy, that will work in both..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    Here in my area, over the past year, WWB .40S&W has been available more often then WWB 9mm.
    Wow! I wish I was in the know on how in different regions there is such a difference in availability in the different calibers? Am I missing something?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If this is a handgun that your girlfriend may have to use I suggest accomodating her preference and working from there.

If you can find my thread, "Spouse/Significant Other Compatability" it may give you some food for thought. I put my Hi Power back in the safe because my wife likes the Glock 19. She has one, and I carry a 19 and a 26. It would help you both, IMHO, if you look at your weapon as a "pool" weapon and plan accordingly.

That's my $0.02.

Biker
    That is excellent advice. My Glock 19 has become a "pool" weapon for my wife and I to use as a home defense handgun.
    God bless our troops!

I'm also thinking of getting a more compact Glock for CC, and I was all set in getting the G23. After reading these posts, I'm now stuck between the G19 & G23. Guess I'll go into the gun shop tonight and buy which ever is available. If they have both I'll probably be standing there for hours trying to make up my mind

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    When I think Glock(and I have 2)..I think 9mm and IMHO the Glock 19 is the best all around platform for that cartridge! I VOTE: G19!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I carry the G19 daily!

Glock 23.

.40 over 9mm any day and every day of the week.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I like the G23 for the .40 and i can switch barrels unlike the 19
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

/glock mod 19. With the ammo available you can not go wrong. I really have enjoyed mine. accurate, dependable, controlable, and cost effecient (SP)

Definitely, the Glock-19, my next purchase...for a number of the reasons posted above.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tough call. I have both. The 23 is my current duty weapon. The 19 was my first duty weapon with the NYPD. They are both awesome weapons. I would have a real hard time deciding if I didn't own both already.

Shoot them both and see which one you like better. The 23 has a little more recoil, nothing major IMO.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Tough call. I have both. The 23 is my current duty weapon. The 19 was my first duty weapon with the NYPD. They are both awesome weapons. I would have a real hard time deciding if I didn't own both already.

Shoot them both and see which one you like better. The 23 has a little more recoil, nothing major IMO.

Good luck.
    I thought that the standard duty round for NYPD was 9mm.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

The 19 and 23 are exactly the same size handgun. the tough call is what caliber you really wish to shoot and carry. as i stated earlier, and from a standpoint as retail sales at this place Kittery Trading Post: Always Free Shipping on Orders over $75! I've been asked the very same questions by Customers as you're asking here. Personally, As most of the older Forum members who know me, I have several Glocks in various flavors. If you purchase the G23, you can shoot any flavor of 40 cal out there. For EDC, you could resort to a 40 cal Subsonic type round, which will reduce recoil. The downside is, G19 in 9mm restricts you to one caliber, two (with the 22LR conversion) I'd say, if you have the ability to do so, go to a range, try both, and then decide.
    Personally, I'm with the Glock 23, mainly, as I said earlier, you can get the 40/9 mm conversion bbl, 357 Sig bbl, and 22 LR conversion kit. ( I have all of these and they work flawlessly)
    From a sales point, I would say, as I've said to my customers, you must decide what is best for your personal needs, and what feels best in your hands. Hope you have good luck in your next purchase, as it's a tough one, especially when ya have TOO MANY options, like the ones I have just mentioned!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I recently took a young lady out shooting her first time.

She loved the 9 mm, however, she would only fire one magazine (and didn't even finish that) of .40.

Clearly a .40 would not be the best choice for her.

Personal preferences matter. The .380 a person has on them is of far more value than the .40 they have left at home.

I recommend the G23 for all the stated reasons. It fits my hand perfectly and has never misfired. If I was limited to only one gun, it would be the G23.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links