Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on Glock 19 vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well.....I went to the gun shop expecting to purchase either a G19 or G23, but I fell in love with the G27 and brought her ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

Well.....I went to the gun shop expecting to purchase either a G19 or G23, but I fell in love with the G27 and brought her home

"I tried to load a picture of her but it wont load"
    Last edited by Greg Foster; March 13th, 2010 at 02:18 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Foster View Post
    Well.....I went to the gun shop expecting to purchase either a G19 or G23, but I fell in love with the G27 and brought her home

The 27 is a great warm weather carry piece.

Actually it's a great 365 carry piece, most especially in an operating environment where concealability, with no margin for error when it comes to detectability, is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    The 27 is a great warm weather carry piece.

Actually it's a great 365 carry piece, most especially in an operating environment where concealability, with no margin for error when it comes to detectability, is paramount.
    Today will be my first time carrying it all day. I thought it would feel heavy compared to the airweight I usually carry, but so far it feels fine. I'm using a cheaper inside the pant holster. Soon I will get a better holster for it.

They are both excellent guns.... I selected a G23 years ago.... and followed up with a companion G27. Love'em both.

Having said that I would feel just as well protected with a G19 going down a dark alley in the wee hours of the morning. (But that's unlikely since I'm usually in bed by 9:00 every night......)

I don't know the exact numbers but the majority of law enforcement folks carry a .40 caliber. There must be some reason for that.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

I had the same problem choosing between the 2 about a year back. BUY THE 23! YOU CAN BUY A 9MM CONVERSION BARREL FOR 100 BUCKS AND A 9MM MAGAZINES AND HAVE BOTH GUNS FOR $120 MORE. Plus no one here is going to seriously argue the 9mm>40 in pure ballistic terms.

I've got both... buy the Glock 19 and you will not regret it.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

BGE
    Looking at it from another view. If you got the 23, and for some reason the recoil was to much for your wife (follow up shot, ect), than there goes atleast another $120 for the 9mm conv. On the other hand, if you got the G19 and for some reason 15+1 9x19mm rounds arent enought, dont like the feel, what have you return it, trade it in or just keep it. (last time I checked Glocks held there value pretty well!) and get a G23. Personally, I focus more on shot placement than cross my fingers with the "potential damage" that would be done with the 40cal. I personally like my .40, but going to purchace a G19 with a smile on my face soon. Which ever one you choose, shoot safely!
    "AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE"
    - JOHN VIII:XXXII

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I just bought a G19 RTF2. I already have a G22 RTF2 and a G27. I wanted a mid size 9mm for cheaper shooting at the range. I did not want to get conversion barrels and extra mags.
    Proud NRA member

I own the 23 and have been completely Happy with it. I feel more comfortable with the 40 on the hip than a 9. but has since upgraded to a G36

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Foster View Post

OK NOW........Go find a 357 Sig bbl for that puppy. It will just drop in with no mods to the gun.
    then you'll have two calibers to shoot from the gun.
    Either way..GREAT choice. Let us know how you like it.. Winchester Subsonic ammo works well in the gun, for recoil control and flash reduction..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

While debating whether to go with the Glock 19 or the Glock 23, here is a photo worth pondering:
    Attached Images

Currently, I'm trying to trade my G23 for a G19. However, the main reason I'm doing that is because I was injured at work and the .40 is really hammering my shooting hand. I've also got a Beretta CX4 on layaway right now which is chambered for 9mm, so consolidating my rounds only makes sense to me at the moment.

However, I prefer the .40 for everyday carry since I was introduced to it a few years ago. But thats my opinion, and you've got to think about your lady and what she can shoot as well. With a good SD round loaded in your weapon, there's not going to be much difference between 9mm, .40, and .45. Any and all of them can be used effectively and have a proven history of putting people down.

If it was just for you: Glock 23
    If it's for both you and your lady: Glock 19

Besides, the better question to ask is this: "What should I get first?"

Glocks have a tendency to reproduce.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I like them both and have owned both. I've got a 23 right now which is my principal carry gun. The recoil is only a problem if I fire before my grip is solid after drawing from a holster. If I've got a solid grip the accuracy is fine. Practice practice. I'll probably get a 19 again as well. I'm hoping that there will be some sales in advance of the generation 4 coming into the stores.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandolero View Post
    While debating whether to go with the Glock 19 or the Glock 23, here is a photo worth pondering:
    Must really wanted a drink.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

I have a Glock 23 and Glock 26. I am thrilled with both.

In the 23 I'm comfortable with the more powerful 40 cal, and like many have mentioned, the opportunity to buy other barrells for changing out. If your going with the 9mm I'd recommend the 26. You can put the 19 mags in the 26 if you want the extra rounds. I have the extended 26 mags with 12 rounds of +P 9mm. I hope I never need one round, if I need more than 12 I'll be running faster than any track star.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links