Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

This is a discussion on Glock 19 vs. Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided on getting a compact glock but I can not determine which model I want. Hoping for people's input on the matter. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

Glock 19 vs. Glock 23

I have decided on getting a compact glock but I can not determine which model I want. Hoping for people's input on the matter. I have shot both and enjoy shooting both, I just don't know which one to get for my carry weapon. Thanks in advance guys

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I have decided on getting a compact glock but I can not determine which model I want. Hoping for people's input on the matter. I have shot both and enjoy shooting both, I just don't know which one to get for my carry weapon. Thanks in advance guys
    I had the same problem and ended up buying both. But if it makes a difference I did buy the G23 first and carried it for some time before I picked up the G19. Are you allowed to purchase/carry hi-cap magazines where you live? If you aren't I would say go with the 10 rounds of .40 over the 9mm.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

yeah i live in AZ so i could have 15 round magazines of 9mm or 13 round magazines on 40

GLOCK 19: 9x19 ammo is usually easier/cheaper to find, a little less recoil, good stopping power, controllable

GLOCK 23: .40 S&W ammo is a little harder/more expensive, snappy recoil (from what I hear), better stopping than 9mm but not as good as .45 acp

guns are about the same size if not exactly the same size

I carry the GLOCK 19 daily.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I do like the G23...
    Mines going on 20yrs. old now. Still as flawless as ever!

I use the 40-9 conversion barrel for range fun, (with the 9mm mags), and have yet to experience a problem.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Same gun, different calibers.

My reasons to say G23:
    1. More power in the same size pistol. Ammo is slightly more available at the time.
    2. You can buy conversion barrels for the G23 and shoot either 9mm or .357 Sig in the G23. An option that's available if you choose. You can't convert the 19 up to a larger caliber.

Since you've shot both, you should know if you enjoy the .40. The odds are minimal that you'll ever really have to use it for SD, so most of you time with it will be on a range (where we all should be more often!).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am leaning towards the 19 because it is easier for my girlfriend to shoot and here in AZ I rarely see any 40 cal ammo on the shelves... well when they do have ammo on the shelves anyway..

VIP Member
    All depends on which caliber you prefer. 9mm or .40 I'll take less .40 rounds over more 9mm everyday, YMMV
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I bought the G19 as my first/only pistol, couldn't be happier. I really don't think you would regret buying either, but when I was weighing all the options, the 19 was just a better fit.

kpw
    If I could only have one pistol for the rest of my life, it would be a G19...and lots of mags.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I was definitely leaning towards the 19, so thanks everyone for your input. I am probably 90% for the 19 now.

I have a G23 and love it. Like others have said you can buy a 9mm barrel and have both.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

glock 19.

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the Glock 23. That way i can get a 40-9 conversion barrel to get the best of both worlds. You're not gonna be able to do that with the Mod. 19! You should really take that into consideration. Plus, you said it yourself... you like shooting both. So why not opt for a little more power in the same package and settle for the mod. 23? I have a Glock 27 and I simply love it!
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

Here in my area, over the past year, WWB .40S&W has been available more often then WWB 9mm.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links