My new .45!

This is a discussion on My new .45! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I "pulled the trigger" on purchasing my new handgun. Thanks to you guys who shared your experience with the Smith M&P 45 compact. I handled ...

Thread: My new .45!

My new .45!

I "pulled the trigger" on purchasing my new handgun. Thanks to you guys who shared your experience with the Smith M&P 45 compact. I handled this gun a week ago without being able to shoot it.

The construction and finish is great and it feels so nice and solid in my hand. As soon as I concluded the purchase, I stepped into the indoor range to try it out! 50 rounds of 230gr. American Eagle. A few slow aimed shots at 15 yards, then point shooting at 5-10 yards. I wasn't as accurate on slow shooting as I am with Glocks or 1911s, but it was acceptable. All of the point shooting was right in the centerline- upper chest and head shots.

I didn't have any problems or failures out of the box. (didn't expect any) The gun was GREAT to shoot. It felt very different (to me) from Glock or XDs. It was alot like shooting Sig 220. Recoil was very controllable. The only downside or negative was the trigger. As I squeezed it, it felt like it was grinding across gravels. I understand from posts that its an easy aftermarket upgrade.

The size and weight is great for concealed carry. Check out my Pics!
    Attached Images
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

2. Remove Ads

I think after you shoot 1000 rounds or so the trigger should smooth out a bit.BTW nice 45 you got there.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Those are very nice guns ...good buy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Congrats on your new toy! I have the M&P45 and the wife has the M&P9c and both are great guns. I'd love to pick up the M&P45c as well especially with summer coming on. Once you get used to the feel, I think you'll be very surprised at the accuracy that gun can deliver.

As far as the trigger goes, yes it will smooth up some from normal use and even dry firing just make sure to use a snap cap when doing it. Initially, Smith had issues with the striker breaking from excessive dry firing and have since resolved the issue but there's no point in risking it as snap caps are cheap. From what I've read, APEX is in the process of making a sear for the .45s. They already have one for the other calibers and from what I've read, are the bomb for improving the trigger and only cost $30.

Don't forget to send in your paperwork for the two free mag offers Smith is offering now. They used to send out pinky extensions for the compact mags if you called...not sure if they still do that or not but it never hurts to ask.
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Freakdaddy- Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware of a free offer. B'Yah!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

GM
    Congrats on the M&P!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congrats, I am picking mine up tomorrow or Saturday. I got the midsize which I guess is the Sub Compact version, 4" barrel and 10 in the mag. I can't wait to pick it up. I carry a 1911 all of the time but may carry the M&P once in a while, mainly night stand and range gun. I will post pics and a range report.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't mention it. Here's the link:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...ectionId=10002
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Thanks for the link. I printed & filled it out. Going in the mail tomorrow for 2 mags!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

Links