Defensive Carry banner

Compact 45

5K views 56 replies 48 participants last post by  Zach and Holly 
#1 ·
I'm looking for advice on purchasing a new semi auto in 45 acp. Here are my requirements:
1- "compact" size for concealed carry
2- no manual safety (DA)
3- the most round capacity possible

I have found the Sig P220 CARRY DAK with an 8 round capacity. Is there a better option?

#28 ·
M&P45C. mine was dead reliable, and a lot more ergonomic than my g21sf.

the glock 30 & glock 30SF have suffered from out of spec frame rails recently causing the slide to rub the trigger bar which in turn causes failure to return to battery problems. glock has issued a new trigger bar with a minus sign (-) to solve the problem, but it only solves it sometimes. go onto glocktalk.com, there's plenty of angry g30 owners on there. no one knows if glock has resolved this issue yet. the problem is the rear frame rails are set lower in the frame than the front ones.

the g36 has been glock least reliable design to date. sometimes you will get a dead reliable one, & sometimes you'll get a jammomatic. there's a guy in Cali that sued glock and won because they couldn't fix his g36 after 3 trips back to them. here's his blog: http://g36mf.blogspot.com/

#30 ·
The Sig 220 is a good pistol but I find it too big and heavy for carry and it has a limited mag capacity. I'd own one but I wouldn't carry it. From your requirements any of the polymers would be a good bet.

#36 ·
Here are some links to some XD articles if you want to do some research on them. Pretty impressive that after being on the market all these years they are still writing raves review of it
XD Torture test
SPRINGFIELD'S XD SUB-COMPACT GOES HIGH-CAP
SPRINGFIELD'S XD GOES THE DISTANCE
THE XD EXTREME DUTY SERVICE AUTO PISTOL
SPRINGFIELD'S .45 GAP XD TACTICAL PISTOL
SPRINGFIELD XD .40 SUB-COMPACT
SPRINGFIELD'S X-TREME DUTY POLYMER POWERHOUSE
The XD Goes ACP
SPRINGFIELD'S SUB-COMPACT XD
Springfield's XD Keeps On Growing
SPRINGFIELD'S XD GETS LITTLE
Springfield's XD .45
SPRINGFIELD GOES POLYMER
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY XD SERIES
Sizing Down, Powering Up
A FAIR SHARE OF ABUSE

There are more recent articles I should add or you can look them up.

One thing I like about XD is that since they are being marketed by Springfield an American company they are not selling to our enemies & terrorists. Unlike Glock who sells to Iran knowing that they to filter Glocks to insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan. So XD's are not being used to kill American soldiers

#38 ·
I have a similar problem NN. I keep hitting the slidstop and end up locking the slide back on partial mags. Never had that problem pistols from other companies.

#41 ·
I prefer and feel more comfortable with the thumbs forward. That's one of the things I've disliked about revolvers is how you have to grip them. Besides I'm so used to shooting thumbs forward since I can do that without any problem on any other semi I've shot I don't see the need to change. I too prefer the control thumbs forward offer.

#43 ·
Sig P250 45 ACP

I bought the P250 in 45 a month ago. I put a 100 rounds thru it no problems, then bought the small grip module. Man this is great. I love it. Over 500 rounds with JHP and reloads. No FTF. I really like it. I also have a P220 SAS carry and a Super match, but love shooting this gun!

#45 ·
I have a g36 and bought it to CC. I have a M&P9c that sometimes is a bit too thick to CC as I'm a thin person. The g36 is easy to conceal and dead accurate and for me, reliable. A buddy of mine shot it and ended up buying one or himself as his CCW. Of course a 6+1 single stack won't offer the most capacity. My vote is either the G30/36 or M&P...cause I own them of course

#46 ·
#47 ·
I have the springfield XD(m) 9mm 4.5" and LOVE it. its holds 19 rounds. Can also get it in a 3.8" or of course the normal XD in 3" or 4".

If you want a 45 I would HIGHLY suggest one of the following depending on the size you want:
Springfield Armory
Springfield Armory
Springfield Armory

I think the XD has great features for CCing, as well as a high mag count, and of course extremely reliable, easy to shoot, and accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.