Defensive Carry banner

Smith and Wesson Model 638

17K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  enigmaone 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there has the S&W 638, airweight, bodyguard series, revolver with the 1 7/8 barrel... Just wondering what your overall impression(s) are?

Thanks

#3 ·
I like mine. It's the 438. I wanted the blue. Good little pocket guns for self defense. Not a whole lot of fun to shoot targets with. I use standard pressure Buffalo Bore 158 gr LSWCHP in mine. Kicks like a mule. These guns serve the purpose for which they were created well. I put S&W Service Stocks on mine which fit my hand better and conceal just as well as the ones that came on the gun. You got a 638..good on ya.

#5 ·
Great gun. I like having the option of shooting SA or DA with the shrouded hammer.

Reactions: marcclarke
#6 ·
My wife carried one for a good long while,until I brought home a J frame .32. She just had to have it and of course I swapped her the .32 for her 638. The 638 ended up in my tackle box and slept there until my step-daughter wanted her carry permit. I loaned her the 638 to take to the class and ended up selling it to her.

They are pretty nice little carry guns, but are butt ugly !

#7 ·
I actually do not have the Model 638, but do have the Model 38 which is an Airweight with a different finish and a Model 649 which is the stainless steel version in the Bodyguard configuration.

As I only shoot them double-action, however, I find their single-action capabilities superfluous and prefer the shape of Centennial models such as the 640, 940, 442, and 642.

They ALL excellently fulfill their intended purposes!

#10 ·
Here are the specs for you:
SKU: 163438
Model: 438
Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
Frame Size: Small (J Frame) - Bodyguard® Style
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Action: Single/Double Action
Barrel Length: 1 7/8"
Front Sight: Integral
Rear Sight: Fixed
Overall Length: 6 5/16"
Weight Empty: 15.1 oz.
Grip: Synthetic
Material: Aluminum Alloy Frame/Stainless Steel Cylinder
Finish: Matte Black

SKU: 163070
Model: 638
Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1 7/8"
Front Sight: Integral Front
Rear Sight: Fixed
Grip: Rubber Grips
Frame: Small - Bodyguard Style
Finish: Matte
Overall Length: 6 3/8"
Material: Alloy
Weight Empty: 15 oz.
The 438 usually costs about $20.00 more than the 638. I chose the 438. I prefer the black matte finish. It weighs .1 oz more than the 638, and the overall length differs slightly.

#9 ·
I have a 637 Airweight. Its a great little shooter. Carrys great. Easy to conceal. I prefer the hammer to go SA if need be. You wont be disappointed in the 638.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.