Picking a new CCW pistol

This is a discussion on Picking a new CCW pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help picking my new CCW once I get back to the States. I'm currently leaning towards the Glock 27, because I already ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking a new CCW pistol

Distinguished Member

Picking a new CCW pistol

I need some help picking my new CCW once I get back to the States. I'm currently leaning towards the Glock 27, because I already have a G23 which is currently my primary carry weapon. I'm looking to change because I'm living in North Carolina now and wear a lot of shorts of various styles and tshirts for most of the year, and the G23 is just to big to easly conceal. I'm thinking the G27 or G36. I've looked at others such as Kimber, Kahr, SA, SIG and such. Other than the XD, I'm not too keen on the weight and the prices of the others. and with glocks being within my price range, already owning one, and that they are just a great weapon that is what I'm looking at. I'm also looking on ways to carry to carry it with minimal printing. I was looking at the Galco thigh band holster that I can conceal with the shorts leg, or a pocket holster. Any thoughts and comments would be awesome.

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!!

2. Remove Ads

mrm
    The Glock 27 is not a huge amount more concealable than the 23 (IMO) Ive tried I still have the 27 as my EDC but only have it and the 22 now. You would be happier I think if you saved the money from buying a new one and bought a GOOD holster like crossbreed super tuck for the 23 and got something like a keltec p3at or ruger lcp for the times when it is a no no to get caught concealing.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    The Glock 27 is not a huge amount more concealable than the 23 (IMO) Ive tried I still have the 27 as my EDC but only have it and the 22 now. You would be happier I think if you saved the money from buying a new one and bought a GOOD holster like crossbreed super tuck for the 23 and got something like a keltec p3at or ruger lcp for the times when it is a no no to get caught concealing.
    I agree. I carry my G23 in summer attire IWB in a C-tac... no problems. Not much different than a G27. If it were me I would get a LCP or P3AT or a Airweight J-frame S&W to compliment my G23. But I would love to have a G27 to add to my safe.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

You have several good options there. I have been looking at the G27 myself for a while, but I am not sure yet what to get. The nice thing about Glocks are that they are affordable, and so are mags and holsters. And they are also accurate and reliable. I feel it's a little thick though and would like something slimmer though. I looked at a Kahr PM45 today, quite a bit slimmer and a nice gun. I also looked at a Taurus 709 Slim and like the features a lot. It's a SA/DA which I like since it's nice to have second strike capability in case of failure. It also has a manual safety. It's less than an inch thick, which is nice for CC. Anything smaller than this is hard to handle. I was thinking about getting a LCP, but I shot one with some hydrashock ammo and it was difficult to keep a good grip due to the small grip. The only thing keeping me from buying the 709 right now is that the 740 Slim (.40S&W) is coming out this year...

There are also some nice compact 1911, but still a little larger than many other CC guns. I like the Colt Defender, but they are pretty expensive...

If you like your G23, then it might not be a bad idea to get a G27, even though the size isn't that much different, since I assume you are an experienced shot with it.

I love Glocks...I love my Glock-36.

You'll not go wrong with anything in the Glock line, but the grip on the G-36 will greatly surprise you...pick one up.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

when it comes down to it i can not tell much different bewteen my g36 and my g27 when it comes to size. i have put both in the safe and now carry the g23 full time on and off the job. but for pocket carry the kel tec p3at is tops.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Keltec pf-9, if you can find one.. buy it try it then sell it if you dont like it.....you might even make money on the re-sale
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

G36 is a good idea but the kahr CW9 and CW40 are lighter and slimmer to carry wearing shorts and t-shirt. I carry mine OWB all the time in that mode and they don't print as much. The price is right there with the G models too. Trigger is a lot better.

The G36 is nearly the same size as the G23, just a bit narrower. In fact, alot of holsters will fit both guns.

You could chop the grip on the G23 to make it G27 length, and still use G27 mags whenever you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    If it were me I would get a LCP or P3AT or a Airweight J-frame S&W to compliment my G23. But I would love to have a G27 to add to my safe.
    P3AT gets my vote, drop it in your shorts pocket and forget it.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    If you want to wear light clothing I highly recommend going single-stack.

PF9 or PM9, or LCP/PPK/Bersa/etc.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I also looked at a Taurus 709 Slim and like the features a lot. It's a SA/DA which I like since it's nice to have second strike capability in case of failure.
    Just a note on this "feature." IMHO, if you get a click instead of a bang you should immediately go into a failure drill - do a tap-rack, eject the dud round, and keep firing. Why waste time hoping the round will ignite on the second strike? Get rid of the dud and move on.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

In possession of a Kahr CW9 and am looking at a Ruger SR9c. haven't seen any comments on the Ruger.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." The Shootist (1976)

Not a big diff between 23 and 27. I have 23 and 26. Based on my experience, stay away from Kel Tec. If you want the ultimate, try a SA EMP. If you want a really neat hide out gun, try the Sig P238. Less umph but imminently concealable. Mine is great in the front pocket.

Write down what specs you want then rate each gun against your wish list. You will probably have some musts on the list. In which case certain guns can be eliminated immediately. Trying to keep the specs of all the guns available in your head will just get confusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links