Thinking of trading my HiPower

This is a discussion on Thinking of trading my HiPower within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by southarkrob I am thinking about trading my HiPower in on Colt Stainless 1911 38 Super...I love the way the HP shoots...but don't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trading my HiPower

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I am thinking about trading my HiPower in on Colt Stainless 1911 38 Super...I love the way the HP shoots...but don't like carrying it due to the double stack mag...I can't get comfortable with it..I have a Milt Sparks OWB holster and a good belt... I like the flatness of the 1911's...am I nuts?? thanks Robbie
    Why not trade it for a Springfield EMP?
    That way you can stay in the 9mm,or move up to a40cal, have a 1911 style gun and be thinner than a BHP .
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Thanks guys...I think I would regret getting rid of it..I like the gun and the 9mm ammo is alot cheaper..I think I am going to invest in a IWB..thanks for the help. Robbie
    IMO, since you like the gun that should be the smartest thing to do. Invest in a good holster and perhaps change the grips. And if it still does not work for you then you can consider trading or selling it. I am a huge fan of the BHP, and I believe that it is one of the best pistols ever made.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

BHP

I agree with okshooter about finding a carry pistol that feels completely right in the holster and hand.

I have BHP and XD pistols and have recently purchased a CW9. I was searching for a slim, striker fired, single action pistol. Not able to find exactly what I was looking for I decided to take a chance on Kahr.

The CW9 is less expensive than other Kahr models. Well image my surprise when I started the break in process and discovered I shoot this double action trigger as well as the single action BHP. So shoot as many pistols as you can in the process to find a new CCW pistol. I have tried out many. Shooters and pistols are unique and part of the fun is finding one that matches you.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    some guns are expendable, but there's some guns you just don't get rid of.

live and learn!

surv
    AMEN! I wish I'd ah never sold mine.

It's one of those that you don't carry much do to the overall size, but it's missed at the range big time! At least for me anyway.

I'll have another one when I find one locally.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Had an ALL Belgian Hi-Power purchased new(for the whopping sum of $475)in 1984. It's long gone and I think that was a mistake. Think carefully before you dump that Browning!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I went to the local gunshop that has the 38 super and a 9mm emp in stock..and I couldn't make myself get rid of the HP...gonna change the grips and get a good IWB holster...will see how that goes...thanks for the help..Robbie

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    a decision you will NOT regret

Keep the HP

Great decision. Save the money for the next pistol. You will never be sorry.

Let me add, you need a strong bench. Its hard to have only one pistol for every occasion!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I like my Versa Max 2 for the HP.

Did not have to wait by going the eBay route and I did not pay any more than they are new either.

Don't do it! I have an all Belgian HP I bought new in Berlin Germany in 1983. Will never part with it. Bought a Browning BDA at the same time and sold it. Regret it to this day.

The only gun you should consider as a trade for the HP is an EMP. I have both, and a Colt 1911 Gold Cup. The EMP is #1, the HP is #2 and the Gold Cup is #3. Get a grip! I have Eagle grips on my HP. Their not as thin as I'd like but their beautifully made. If I were to carry the HP, I think slightly thinner grips would make it ideal. Obviously my choice for carry, when I can, is the EMP, of the three.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I went to the local gunshop that has the 38 super and a 9mm emp in stock..and I couldn't make myself get rid of the HP...gonna change the grips and get a good IWB holster...will see how that goes...thanks for the help..Robbie
    A very wise decision southarkrob. With that IWB the HP will dissapear. I love HP's and 1911's but them HP's point so well and ammo is much cheaper.

I had a Colt .38 Super in the mid 80's. Never took to it and the thing was as loud as a .357 coming out of one of my S&W snubs. Never regretted selling it off to this day.

Give Eric a call at HBE Specialty Leatherworks. His COM III is the best IWB I've ever toted a weapon in. Extremely comfortable and total quality rigs.

My vintage 1977 HP that I paid a whopping $225.00 for IMS
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Sportster...I really like that holster.... that is nice...thanks for the help..Robbie

Glad you decided to keep it, I will NEVER get rid of either of my BHP.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Sportster...I really like that holster.... that is nice...thanks for the help..Robbie
    Robbie,

I have had 5 of Erics holsters and most of the big named ones (Milt Sparks VM II etc.). Eric will do you right. The COM III is THE MOST COMfortable holster I've ever packed a weapon in. The COM stands for comfortable It's flap holds it in place and does a fantastic job of displacing the weapon so theres no hot spots. I've driven nonstop from NC to Florida 5 times (853 miles) with my trusty 1911 and never had any discomfort with it.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links