Defense round

Defense round

This is a discussion on Defense round within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Harriett and Richardson snub nose revolver, caliber 38 S and W. 146 grain bullet, 5 shot, top break. I cannot find hollow ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense round

Defense round

I have a Harriett and Richardson snub nose revolver, caliber 38 S and W. 146 grain bullet, 5 shot, top break.

I cannot find hollow points in this caliber. My mom bought this gun in 1975, it looks new.

It is a heavy gun compared to todays lite weights. I carried it to the gun store today and it is about the size of the LCR and SW airweights.

I am trying to find different grips, they are plastic. I have not had any luck.

Whats your thoughts on this caliber for a defense round ??

I'm a retired LEO, retired in 1984, carried a .38 S&W for most of my time on the job, at the end we switched a few times to a 357, then to the 9mm. The reason for the switch was we were out gunned with the revolvers and you can load a magazine quicker than you can reload the revolver so we were really out gunned. I carried a .38 SW Airweight for a lot of years as a cc weapon, but I've recently purchased a Springfield Armory XD 40 Sub Compact as I was feeling a little under armed with all the BG's carrying semi-autos. I did keep the .38 snub as it's been with me for a very long time.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Polish Armed View Post
    I have a Harriett and Richardson snub nose revolver,
    Harriett and Richardson? Possibly you mean Harrington & Richardson?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Whats your thoughts on this caliber for a defense round ??
    If you make your own ammo you can probably come up with something decent for it, but if you have to depend on factory loads I think you're going to be hard-pressed to find something that comes close to modern .38 special hollowpoints.

.38 S+W is essentially an obsolete round... to the best of my knowledge, it was never commercially available with anything other than a plain, round-nosed lead bullet. It's pretty anemic, with downrange energy between a .32 auto and a .380. Together with the LRN bullet, it's really a poor choice for defensive use, but better then a police whistle, I suppose.

Likewise, you're going to have a tough time finding aftermarket grips for the H+R. If you're determined, I would work with a custom grip maker like Esmerelda or Eagle Grips. They might be able to create something if they have the original grips to work with, but - it won't be cheap.

Why not look into something a bit more modern? Seems like you're trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents with this gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I am looking around . Been looking and researcing for about 3 months, read everything I can find and watched many youtube video reviews: Researched Ruger LCP, KELTEC, Sig p238, Ruger LCR, SW airweight revolvers.

Probably need to rent a few and see what I like. I tend to overthink things at times. Liked the Sig alot but not to comfortable with the cocked and locked idea ?

LCP and Keltec kind of small for my hand, but I understand about easy concealment . I read alot about FTF,FTE with .380 auto,s.

Still on the fence : semi auto or revolver ?

I have a Ruger P89 9MM I bought in the 90,s. Nice gun but is too big to conceal for me.

It was late and I meant Harrington not Harriett.
    Thanks for any advice, its appreciated.

I have a Taurus pt745 and was looking for 45 ACP jacketed hollow point 230 grain, anybody know where I might find some? Thanks
    Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in the garage makes you a sports car.

Sounds like a safe queen to me. Could be well over 70 years old. Get a more modern revolver..

OMO

bosco

To everyone who's giving WRONG advice - a .38 S&W is NOT a .38 special.

I read somewhere that the 38 s&w doesn't have enough velocity to expand a hollowpoint, so they never made them.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I am looking around . Been looking and researcing for about 3 months, read everything I can find and watched many youtube video reviews: Researched Ruger LCP, KELTEC, Sig p238, Ruger LCR, SW airweight revolvers.

Probably need to rent a few and see what I like. I tend to overthink things at times. Liked the Sig alot but not to comfortable with the cocked and locked idea ?

LCP and Keltec kind of small for my hand, but I understand about easy concealment . I read alot about FTF,FTE with .380 auto,s.

Still on the fence : semi auto or revolver ?
    There is probably nothing as reliable as a revolver... they go bang every time. Compared to an autoloading pistol, you give up some compactness and some ammo capacity... that's the part you need to decide.

The small revolvers - S+W J-frame and Taurus clones, and the Ruger LCR, are a little snug in some pockets, but I've never had a time when I couldn't get my hammer-shrouded (Bodyguard style) Taurus into a pocket. The Kel-Tec, Seecamp and LCP all fit a little better.

I'm fortunate to have a number of carry guns to choose from, but if I had to pick just ONE for pocket carry, it would be a small .38 revolver. The .38 is no death ray but it has a good track record of stopping fights.

That said, your plan to try to shoot a number of the candidate small guns is a good one.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    In reference to your H&R revolver, make sure of the caliber before purchasing ammo and attempting to shoot it. If it is in fact chambered for .38 S&W and not .38 Special, DO NOT attempt to load and fire .38 Special ammo through it. In theory you should not be able to load it with .38 Special if it is a .38 S&W, but Mr. Murphy can be cruel sometimes.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

.38 S&W is now an antique

What are your thoughts on this caliber for a defense round ??
    I have to agree with gasmitty above that the .38 S&W is an obsolete caliber and not very suitable for defensive use. I don't think guns have been manufactured in that caliber for a very long time.

I would convert the gun to a safe queen and buy something more modern for your carry application. If you want to pocket carry, a S&W airweight .38 special revolver like the models 642 or 442 is a good choice. A compact 9mm for belt carry is also good, and will give you more rounds on tap plus better ballistics.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

...The small revolvers - S+W J-frame and Taurus clones, and the Ruger LCR, are a little snug in some pockets, but I've never had a time when I couldn't get my hammer-shrouded (Bodyguard style) Taurus into a pocket....
    May I suggest...

Ruger LCR 5 Shot 38 Spl for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $398.00

NIB Ruger LCR 38sp 5rd Blue Houge Grip1.875in 38 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

My local pawn shop receives and does the FFL papers for $25. Shop around.

I wear mostly these, they have big pockets. The LCR has no problem disappearing in the front pocket even in a pocket holster. When you sit it just looks like your carrying your wallet in the front.

Walmart.com: George - Men's Pleat-Front Adjustable-Waistband Cuffed Pants: Men

I'm sure there's not a problem finding similar pants elsewhere.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Harriett and Richardson? Possibly you mean Harrington & Richardson?
    That's what I was thinking. Unless they were separated at birth
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links