45 Days into my 1st .40 caliber

This is a discussion on 45 Days into my 1st .40 caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first .40 caliber, I've had my Springfield XD40 sub compact for a month and a half. With 200 rounds through it, have I mentioned ...

Thread: 45 Days into my 1st .40 caliber

45 Days into my 1st .40 caliber

My first .40 caliber, I've had my Springfield XD40 sub compact for a month and a half. With 200 rounds through it, have I mentioned I LOVE THIS GUN!!!! I've been impressed with the .40 round and this particular weapon. Great shooter, accurate, well balanced, managable recoil (to some degree less than my sub compact 9mm PT709), it's just been an all around great CCW. The more I shoot this gun the more I love it. I like the feel of the 12 round extended mag, but I seem to shoot it better with the 9 round flush mag for some reason. The gun just seems to be a natural fit for my hand and eye and I am really liking the .40 round. I'm carrying Federal JHP at the moment. Below are some pics of my range results with it.

The COM green target (from 10 yards) was my first 9 rounds fired out of this weapon. - a little high, 1st shot was the one low center.

The HEAD green target (from 10 yards) was my second 9 rounds out of this weapon. - a tad higher than I was aiming, 1st shot center.

For some reason, my first shot seems to be on and the subsequent shots a little high.

The next target was from today, very fast shooting from 7 yards. I had some others from 7, 10, and 15 taking my time. All in all, I love this gun and I have confidence in my abilities with it. I do not understand why I am consistently higher after the first shot, but it is still tight enough for SD purposes. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Hey BigDude, I've had my SA XD40 SC for about 2 weeks, 200 rounds through it so far. I agree an excellent weapon. I put a LaserMax in mine, talk about fun to shoot. I cc mine all the time. The first time I shot it all of my shots were low, I asked on this forum and was advised to place the front dot directly over the bullseye, so if looking through the front sight you would see the bullseye and bingo hit what I was aiming at. I had the intentions of getting a Glock 23 and that is what I went to the gun store to purchase, however when I held it in my hands it did not feel right. When I picked up the XD I knew that this was the one for me. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Glad you're liking the gun! I love the .40 round and Springfield is an excellent company.

VIP Member
    Great report (man you've really been hitting the range lately)! If I was starting over, I'd definately go .40 caliber. However, right now I'm maintaining ammo caches on .22, .380, .38 special, 9mm, 30-30 and .45. I just can't handle one more caliber (and of course .40 has been the most prolifically available in my area for years now)...

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Great report (man you've really been hitting the range lately)! If I was starting over, I'd definately go .40 caliber. However, right now I'm maintaining ammo caches on .22, .380, .38 special, 9mm, 30-30 and .45. I just can't handle one more caliber (and of course .40 has been the most prolifically available in my area for years now)...
    I know what you mean. I traded a rifle at my shop yesterday and chose a Ruger SP101 for the same reason...already have a stash of 38 and 357. I thought about an LCP, but then that's another caliber to stock.

I've been putting in some time at the range with some new weapons to get used to. I re-stocked some ammo yesterday from the last several weeks of shooting...$300 worth (and that was just 9mm and 40 range ammo, didn't replace any of my .38). I usually put 250 - 300 rounds down range in each 1 hour trip. I like to take my time and reel my targets in and make notes on them as I go. I like going with my buddies and shooting other weapons too.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links