Picking a new deep cover pistol

This is a discussion on Picking a new deep cover pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so here is the deal. I'm looking for a new concealed carry pistol for deep cover while wearing board shorts and sometimes no shirt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking a new deep cover pistol

Distinguished Member

Picking a new deep cover pistol

Ok so here is the deal. I'm looking for a new concealed carry pistol for deep cover while wearing board shorts and sometimes no shirt which is my normal wear during the summer in NC and FL around the beaches. I've pretty much narrowed down the holster to be the Galco thigh band which should conceal it under my shorts just fine. I've narrowed it down to either the Kahr PM9 or a Taurus ultra light 5 shot revolver. My biggest hang up with the PM9 is the price, I've seen them with the night sights I want for $850+, with the Taurus being $450. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself to spend that much $$$ on something that I'm not going to carry every day. My normal carry is a glock 23. I do have a LCP which I currently don't trust at all due to the fact that the mag catch is currently broken, and I have not been in once place long enough to get it fixed. And until I'm able to put about 300-400 rounds through it I'm not going to stake my life on it. Plus with the extra money, I can buy a another gun

I'm just looking for advice as to the pros and cons of each, I'm really would like to here from you revolver carriers, since I've never carried a revolver before.

2. Remove Ads

Alternatives

If you're thinking about a lightweight revolver, how about the S&W model 642 in .38 special, which is stainless steel and aluminum, weighing 15 ounces empty? It has the internal hammer so it won't snag on your clothing, and should be similar in size to the Taurus you mentioned. I will admit to a bias against anything Taurus, based on owner comments I have read over the years. The 642 should cost in the $500 range, a lot less than the $850 Kahr you mentioned. You might also consider the new Ruger polymer frame .38 revolver, the LCR, which weighs 13.5 ounces.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Are you fixed on revolvers? How 'bout a G27 to supplement your 23?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you're thinking about a lightweight revolver, how about the S&W model 642 in .38 special, which is stainless steel and aluminum, weighing 15 ounces empty? It has the internal hammer so it won't snag on your clothing, and should be similar in size to the Taurus you mentioned. I will admit to a bias against anything Taurus, based on owner comments I have read over the years. The 642 should cost in the $500 range, a lot less than the $850 Kahr you mentioned. You might also consider the new Ruger polymer frame .38 revolver, the LCR, which weighs 13.5 ounces.

Great recommendation. I have a 442 that is very handy and very light. Revolvers are dependable. I have a Taurus and I have no issue with thier weapons. The PT709 9mm is a sub compact pistol that is very easy to conceal. The LCR is light and has a nice trigger. Try to find a range that rents guns and shoot several to see which you like best. With all of the choices on the market, I'm sure you can find the right one for you.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Pistol or revolver... I picked the revolver!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

That's a mighty fine looking pistol, Thumper! What model is it and did it come from the factory with the laser grip?
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member
    I thought about Smith & Wesson, but I'm extremely pissed at them. I bought a $250 tritium dive watch just before I came to Afghanistan that had a 1 year warrenty on it. About 4 months into my deployment the second hand fell off it and just rattled around the face. I e-mailed Smith about the problem who interned passed me to the company that does their warrenty work. I thought no problem it's a Smith product this should be easy to get fixed. I wrote that company 5 times and didn't get a response. I wrote Smith back about the problem to see what they would do, they said since I'm deployed and won't be back until after the warrenty expires that they will not do anything for me. After I picked my jaw up off the floor seeing that from Smith. I was more than just a little pissed that a company that actiivly supports the military would say something like that. I reponded to them saying "That I hope the weapons that LEOs and private citizans use to protect themselves from BGs are a lot better quilty then that watches you make. If not I would suggest that they switch to Glock or SIG."

As for the G27 idea, I was thinking that in the beginning, however it's not that much smaller than the 23 that I already have that I can conceal without much problems when I wear most of my clothes. With the added finger trip for the mag it would be almost the same height. I'm thinking that Taurus ultra like .38because it's a good size to conceal in very minumal clothing, and between the price and most most mom and pop gun shops offer a decent military discount i think it would be a great choice for a now and than option to carry. And with the money I saved, I can order the G27 with their military discount for about $430 with trijicons on it. :D.

that is a great price on the G27. What about a Kel-Tec PF-9 in 9mm? Better caliber than the LCP almost as small and if something happens to it you are not out $800 but $300 max

642 or a taurus slim 709
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Distinguished Member
    I think I found a winner Taurus 651 in .357 Mag. They are running about about $325 or so and I should be able to get a military discount on it. The only other question I have, is shooting .38 spls out of it. I've read some blogs that state that it is perfectly safe, and won't hurt the gun at all. the only thing I read was that the chambers need to be cleaned more often.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I think I found a winner Taurus 651 in .357 Mag. They are running about about $325 or so and I should be able to get a military discount on it. The only other question I have, is shooting .38 spls out of it. I've read some blogs that state that it is perfectly safe, and won't hurt the gun at all. the only thing I read was that the chambers need to be cleaned more often.
    I've ran hundreds of 38 special rounds through my Taurus 357 magnum. Never heard anything about needing to clean the chambers more often, however, I clean all of my weapons after every trip to the range anyway.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Keltec pf-9
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    My 651 (purchased used, unknow rd count) has never missed a beat.

Mine is the all steel, not the ltwt version, not sure if I'd try and carry strapped to my thigh...for deep cover in boardshorts, check out Smartcarry or Thunderware.

As for shooting .38spl outta it, not a problem, and the only reason it might need to be cleaned more would be due to dirty ammo.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Administrator
    I hate to say it, but a J frame or a PM9 won't work with board shorts/no shirt. I have both, and dress the same most of the summer. I've tried, and have not figured out how to do it.
    I use a P32 with the KelTec clip in that situation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I haven't had any issues with my Taurus 605 in the 3 years I have owned it. As far as shooting 38spl and needing to clean more, there is a little truth to that I have found. If you have been shooting a lot of 38 rounds it is a good idea to give the chambers a quick clean before shooting 357. The theory is that since the 357mag is a slightly longer round it may not seat all the way in the chamber if there is built up powder residue from the 38spl. If the round does not seat all the way in it could prevent the cylinder from rotating. Never happend to me, but that is what I have been told and it makes sense. No big deal at the range, but for a carry weapon I would give it a cleaning before loading it up with 357 rounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links