Installed Nitesiters on my 709 Slim..

This is a discussion on Installed Nitesiters on my 709 Slim.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After seeing this thread I did some looking online and them ordered my own set. I always wanted the real night sites but just don't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installed Nitesiters on my 709 Slim..

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    After seeing this thread I did some looking online and them ordered my own set. I always wanted the real night sites but just don't see me spending $100+ on them since if I really have to use it in SD, there is a 5-10% chance that I'm going to be using the sights, the other 90-95% of the time I'm going to be coming out of the holster shooting. IMO

I'll see how good they are when I put them on my gun.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

I have used the night sighters on several guns. They usually stay on well - if they don't come off in the first day or two, they don't come off. They are a cheap alternative to night sights, and they do last several hours.

Just hit them with a quick burst from a flashlight, and they will glow all night. You just have to "charge" them. Beforehand. They also work better when being activated from a small surefire size flashlight compared to just sitting in a lit room - direct sunlight being the only thing that might work better.

For someone who doesn't mind charging them every evening, they are a viable alternative.

They are also a good fix for missing paint in sights - and I used them on a Springfield 1911 before - I hate the silver ringed night sights that Springfield uses - it is hard to see the front sight at my indoor range. As the gun was just a range toy anyway - I threw night sighters on top of the Springfield night sights - instant 3 dot, white sights. Much easier to use at the range - and it saved me from having to replace the sights with real Novak white ringed tritium sights.

I also used to have a Keltec 32 - I used one of their dots on the front sight of the Keltec - another good use for them (as the keltec sights are all black)

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    ...For someone who doesn't mind charging them every evening, they are a viable alternative.
    I agree.

I actually think they glow TOO bright when they're first charged. It takes about 30 minutes before they settle down and start to dim a bit.

But I must admit, I'm get'n a nice set of tritiums for my 709 as soon as they become available.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Both my dad and I have these on our M&P's I love them.... If you hear a loud crash at 3a.m. I'm grabbing my white light charging them for 10seconds and checking out the situation. for $15 bucks you can't beat them.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I tried NiteSiters on a pistol a while back and they didn't work for me. First, the front sight sticky fell off after just the first few days and the rear stayed for two weeks before falling off. I followed the instructions completely. I've heard of people using glue to keep them put, but I didn't want to do anything so permanent. Second, I bought a UV LED light to charge them and I'd charge them for a good five minutes or so, but they dimmed much to quickly (usually ten to fifteen minutes) to be of any real benefit. There is NO comparison between them and true night sights.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I just got them (after a very long shipping wait) and put them on my M&P. So far, so bad. Right now I rate them as a 3/10.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    I tried NiteSiters on a pistol a while back and they didn't work for me. First, the front sight sticky fell off after just the first few days and the rear stayed for two weeks before falling off. I followed the instructions completely. I've heard of people using glue to keep them put, but I didn't want to do anything so permanent. Second, I bought a UV LED light to charge them and I'd charge them for a good five minutes or so, but they dimmed much to quickly (usually ten to fifteen minutes) to be of any real benefit. There is NO comparison between them and true night sights.
    ditto my experience with them about 3 years ago. maybe they have improved now. Mine didn't come with the glue. They charge better with a blue bulb and best with a true ultra-violet light. Black lights won't do it.

I had/have a goose neck table lamp on the bedside table with a true ultra-violet light bulb in it. The plan was if hearing any noise I could reach the switch from bed without looking and begin charging them immediately as the gun was laying in front of the lamp on the table. It only takes a few seconds. I could never get them to stay on the front sight and I assumed it was because it was also my CCW and spent all day in the IWB holster and stayed warm and moist.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I put two sets on both my FNP's and they are still on six months later. I got them primarily as an augment to the sites at the dimly lit range I shoot At, but have been pleasantly suprised by how long they keep a charge. I hit them with my surefire before I hit the sack and they are good to go. My experience is leading me to go all the way in and get tritium sites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links