Installed Nitesiters on my 709 Slim..

This is a discussion on Installed Nitesiters on my 709 Slim.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Currently, there are no factory or aftermarket tritium or fiber optic sights available for [my] the Taurus PT709 Slim. I searched for a temporary alternative ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed Nitesiters on my 709 Slim..

Installed Nitesiters on my 709 Slim..

Currently, there are no factory or aftermarket tritium or fiber optic sights available for [my] the Taurus PT709 Slim. I searched for a temporary alternative and found a number of glow-in-the dark paint kits that are being sold for gun sights.

I also read a number of positive threads/posts on various gun forums that referenced The Nitesiters [glow dots] so I looked them up and went to their online site. I was impressed that the site has a few videos demonstrating the easy step-by-step installation. They also have a video showing the glow capability of the site dots. I decided to place an order for my Slim. That was last Saturday evening. The kit was delivered today at noon.

Here's what I received...

The Nitesiter Kit...

Contents...

Close-up of the 8 glow dots and the blade.....

The prep work [thoroughly cleaning and drying the factory dots] only took about 5 minutes. Then it was time to install the dots. I found it a little difficult to center the dot on the factory front sight as the glow dot appeared to be just a tad larger that the factory dot. But after a few tries I was able to press the Nitesiter glow dot into the front factory sight-dimple. As instructed, I applied a little super glue [supplied with the kit]to all the glow dots for added long term adhesiveness.

Truth be told I lost three glow dots while trying to do the front sight install. They would somehow fly off as I was trying to press them in. Good thing the kit comes with 8 glow dots. ..

The rear factory sight was a whole lot easier to do. All in all the install took about 15 minutes from start to finish. I left the 709 in my room with the lights off and after 6 hours the Nitesiters are still glowing, albeit,.. not as bright as when they were first charged, but just enough to see them in total darkness. I'm satisfied with this relatively inexpensive ($14 with shipping) way to put nitesites (Nitesiters) on a weapon.

Here's a few photos that show how they glow with a 10 second charge. ( please excuse the blurry photos)..

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

2. Remove Ads

That seems like a great idea to me. There has always been one problem I can see with night sites that need to be charged, my gun is concealed. There is no light hitting the sites to charge them. For $14 I might be willing to give it a try and see how well they glow after being in the dark for a while.

Where did you order them from?
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    That seems like a great idea to me. There has always been one problem I can see with night sites that need to be charged, my gun is concealed. There is no light hitting the sites to charge them. For $14 I might be willing to give it a try and see how well they glow after being in the dark for a while.

Where did you order them from?
    The Kit was ordered from the Nitesiters website at Nitesiters Night Sights for Handguns !!!Better than Tritium!!!

how much light do they need?

Any idea what the life span is?
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Better than Tritium!!!

LOL.. are they serious?

how much super glue do you have to sniff to think that?

let them sit in a dark room for 4 hours.... now tell me if you can still see them.

then tell me how useful they are....

I wouldn't depend upon $14 night sights...they are not night sights!
    The first time you do a double tap in the dark, it's going to be raining 'glow dots'.

When you HAVE to use your gun in the dark, on the one night that an intruder has chosen you to be his next victim, you will see that it would have been worth the 'extra' $60 to have the 'real' night sights (Trij's or Mep's, etc.)...but then what do I know? OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Currently, there are no factory or aftermarket tritium or fiber optic sights available for [my] the Taurus PT709 Slim. I searched for a temporary alternative and found...
    Seems like the OP was looking for the good stuff, but based on them being unavailable for this model gun, I believe the "temporary alternative" that he refers to is a pretty darn good idea. So what if they fly off or don't glow...then he's right back where he started without them.

Personally, I don't have any night sights of any kind on any of my weapons. If I'm within justifiable SD range, I feel confident I can point shoot and hit what I need to. This is why I practice with the light off at the range. If it is so dark that I can't do that, then I probably shouldn't be shooting at something that I can't readily identify. JMO.

All that said, for $14, I just might have to give this a try myself.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    .... you will see that it would have been worth the 'extra' $60 to have the 'real' night sights (Trij's or Mep's, etc.)...but then what do I know? OMOYMV
    Read the first sentence in my original post,...s l o w l y .

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    ...how much super glue do you have to sniff to think that?....
    Not much. Just a drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    let them sit in a dark room for 4 hours.... now tell me if you can still see them. then tell me how useful they are....
    Just as usefull and functional as the factory sights..

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    how much light do they need?
    I'm not sure, but I charged them with a flashlight for 10 seconds before I took the photos.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The tube of adhesive?. Must be a new style. I got some for my LCP but never got them to stay put. I followed the instructions to the -T- twice but never had any success. Good idea and concept though.

Best!
    Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

cj
    I've used them to replace the paint dots on some sights where somehow I chipped the paint out. They fit in there well, with a good adhesive, and glow for a decent amount of time, but I don't fool myself thinking they're as good as tritium. As good as the painted dots that were in there before, sure...probably better, and I've always had lousy luck trying to paint my own sights, so they were just the thing.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Since there is nothing else available for the 709, sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I have tried the glow paint on my sr-9, I just dont think i am gonna remember to shine my flashlight on my sights when something goes bump in the night. but the paint is real bright for about ten minutes, when shined with my surefire.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links