Why you always shoot a new gun before trusting it

This is a discussion on Why you always shoot a new gun before trusting it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range with my shooting buddy,he was showing me his brand new STI 9mm 1911,we get set up and start shooting,he fires ...

Thread: Why you always shoot a new gun before trusting it

I went to the range with my shooting buddy,he was showing me his brand new STI 9mm 1911,we get set up and start shooting,he fires a round,and gets a jam,clears it fires a round and another jam.I look at it and field strip and lube it thinking it's tight and possibly short stroking,he shoots another round and gets another jam,all were Failures To Eject.I field strip the gun and look at the ejector,and the ejector is broken,the protruding tip broke off and it looks like it may have happened during assembly at the factory.This was not a cheap gun,and I couldn't believe the part failed right out of the box.I told Mike that he was lucky it happened at the range and not after a couple hundred rounds when he might really need his gun to run perfect
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

I bet he was not happy!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Absolutely. I would rather it happen when the only thing threatening me is a piece of paper.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

yup because all guns dont like all ammo for various reasons. especially SD HP type ammo. I always put about 200 mixed rounds down range at least a box being my SD HP ammo and another HP ammo as a backup my Ruger SR9c likes everything except WWB..so I just avoid WWB and it runs 100%. I use seppr gold dots 124 grain and Remington UMC hollowpoints for SD.

VIP Member
    Bummer. There's a metaphor here; Guns (like people) need to be tested before they're entrusted to the really important things, regardless of how expensive (or prestigious) they are.

VIP Member
    Abso-darn-lutely! Not just a new gun either. Any time you get it back from the factory or a 'smith too. Even if it is just for sights. Make sure it works PERFECTLY before you trust it to save your life!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Always, always, always.

No gun is immune. Anything can happen, from minor tolerance issues at the factory, to incorrect parts or installation procedures, or a weak part. Or, just Karma.

Now, I'm all for wishing that price would be a reasonable determinant of reliability, but that'll forever remain just a hope. It isn't realistic. And, no matter the gun, whether a $96 Lorcin or a $3500 Ed Brown 1911, there is simply no way to infer reliability from something printed on paper that came in the box.

IMO, nothing changes the fact that actual testing is the only way to prove consistency and reliability. With any other product, one might consider muddling through. But with something you might well rely upon for your survival, it's simply not worth not knowing.

By the way, for STI fans out there, check out the new STI Shadow .45ACP that just came out. If you can avoid drooling, you're better than I.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Too bad for your friend on his brand new broken 1911. Think I would be more than slightly ticked off if that happened to me.

I ALWAYS put 250 rounds of Speer Gold Dots (my favorite round) through any semi auto weapon before I trust it. Before that I thoroughly clean/lube the pistol, magazines and shoot 100 rounds of WWB FMJ"s to slick up the rails that I have already applied Militec-1 grease to.

I then thoroughly clean, then treat and lubricate the entire pistol with Militec-1 lube and let the SGD's fly, making sure it's functioning properly. After that I consider it good to go. I also try to shoot it at least once a week but never let it go over a month without a fresh application of Militec-1 to the rails and a good wiping down.

Great advice sir! That could have cost your friend his life if you guys hadn't taken it to the range and discovered the broken ejector. Hope he's raising heck with STI on this issue.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Your friend might be more lucky than unlucky, he will get to have the weapon fixed prior to needing it for real.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Good thing you were along to find out what was wrong with it. It always help to be specific when turning one back in for repair even if the whole weapon will be checked.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Mechanical devices can fail, regardless of maker or price. It's a bummer to be stoked about a new weapon only to have it not work properly. A trip back to the factory and it should be a straight forward fix. Always test...you never know what could happen.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would never trust it. Fixed or not, I would want a new one.
    Quality control on that one = FAIL!!!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I have always, first chance I get, taken my new handgun, give it a cleaning, fire at least 100 rounds through it , clean it again.....I want to know as soon as possible if I am going to have any issues with my new pistol......... never wait !!!!!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Bummer. There's a metaphor here; Guns (like people) need to be tested before they're entrusted to the really important things, regardless of how expensive (or prestigious) they are.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I would never trust it. Fixed or not, I would want a new one.
    Quality control on that one = FAIL!!!
    It will come back better than new.
    FACT: The gunsmith making the repair will pay much more attention to detail than the assembler!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Links