What are your thoughts on the Taurus PT22 22LR target pistol?

This is a discussion on What are your thoughts on the Taurus PT22 22LR target pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi there. I just bought my first gun, and now having 800 rounds through it am realizing that I'm wanting to practice waaaaaaay more than ...

Thread: What are your thoughts on the Taurus PT22 22LR target pistol?

What are your thoughts on the Taurus PT22 22LR target pistol?

Hi there. I just bought my first gun, and now having 800 rounds through it am realizing that I'm wanting to practice waaaaaaay more than the basic minimum to be "competent" with my firearm. I want to get really good, and I want the freedom to practice often without having to worry about the high cost of ammo.

So... thinking a lot about getting myself a nice little 22. So far, it seems like (yes, I've read a slew of old threads) everyone votes highly for the big three: Ruger Mark III, Browning Buck Mark and the Walther P22. It just seems like those three all cost well over $350 and much closer to 5 when you factor in things like FFL costs, shipping, taxes (if applicable) and extra magazines.

Was sort of hunting around for viable, less expensive options. What looks appealing to me?

1. Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit (for my Glock) at approx $260 + S&H, or
    2. Taurus PT22 with rosewood grips coming in at approx $220 + associated fees

I hear and have read threads with great things about the AA conversion kit. I haven't ordered one yet because they are backordered across the net with no estimate or hope of an estimate of when they might be in.

So.... would saving $150 bucks or so be worth it if I went with a Taurus PT22? Or would that be like, the worst mistake of my life?
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit (for my Glock) at approx $260 + S&H
    Bingo. I have the AA kit for my G26, and it is definitely the superior option. You can train with a gun that is almost completely identical to what you carry (the conversion slide does make the gun a bit lighter), and the quality of the kit itself is top notch.

Get the AA kit for sure, even if you have to wait for it.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

JD
    Administrator
    Taurus makes a PT 22 target pistol?

I think the PT22 would NOT be a good range gun/practice gun/target gun.

If you want a TARGET gun, you get a target gun, if you want a plinker you get a Walther P22, Sig Mosquito etc. If you want the best option for practicing with your CCW gun's trigger, you get the conversion kit.

If you want a .22 for a last ditch, stick up the bad guy's nose and pull the trigger, you get the Taurus PT22

Now regarding the use of .22 conversions for training purposes, check out THIS article.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Now regarding the use of .22 conversions for training purposes, check out THIS article.
    That article makes some good points.

IMO you are probably going to be shooting the 'full caliber' enough anyway that you shouldn't worry about it. Just don't use ONLY the 22 conversion for training.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

The PT22 is ANYTHING but a target pistol.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Thanks guys. The PT22 is now officially out of the running. Of course, in the mean time I have sort of fallen in love with the Walther P22. But, based on that article (thanks for sharing it!) and based on the fact that with the kit + back up mags + leftover money I could shoot likely 3000 rounds of .22 with the Advantage Arms conversion kit I think that's the route I'm going to end up going.

Not ready to put in my order till after I go to this coming weekend's gun show, but quite likely it's gonna be that AA kit.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Hi Merischino:

You're not likely to choose older .22 handguns that geezers like me enjoy but do consider a .22. It will become one of the most important handguns to you and you will gain a larger measure of handgun skills through the regular use of a .22.

Here's the .22 target revolver that went to the range with me this afternoon, a Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22 Masterpiece that was purchased new 30 years ago this year. This revolver has consumed at least four 500 rnd. cartons of .22 ammunition per year for that 30 year period, all without a single mechanical issue. An elegant weapon from a more civilized age, the revolver isn't currently as popular as it once was. Most folks these days are more interested in the semi-autos.

This one turned in a fine performance this afternoon against a set of small bore handgun silhouette targets out to 100 yards. One of the shooters present was an 8th grade girl who is quite competitive in local 4-H small bore handgun competition. She easily adapted to the long-barreled Smith & Wesson .22 and made accurate hits despite her unfamiliarity with the revolver.

Colt Woodsman .22 pistols are hard to beat if one loves a semi-auto. Made from 1915 to 1976, the Woodsman pistols from the 1950s forward are particularly well suited for range or field with many different barrel and sight configurations available. A great John Browning design, the Woodsman is stubbornly durable. This one has seen less use than the S&W revolver but is fired often. It was produced in 1928 and was acquired from the original owner. Both of these .22s raised our two boys, providing a lot of instruction, practice, and fun.

The Woodsman and our youngest son back when he was about 7 or 8. He's now 24 and in the U. S. Marine Corps.

Walther p-22 you can get one around 350....Three dot sights simulate other pistols. I put 100 rounds through mine today, it has over 1500...and not a hiccup with federal bulk...U can drop the hammer which simulates my keltec pf-9s DAO trigger.also it is small so i can simulate drawing and firing from my pf-9 holster.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Ive sort of been having the same issue.

Ive been thinking about getting a .22 conversion kit for my Kimber Pro Carry II, which is essentially a "commander" in size. I was thinking of a separate 22 semi auto but thought a conversion might help me get more use out of my current gun. But heres the question Ive got on the matter.

Does anyone know if the "government" size conversion kits will fit on the "commander" sized frame? I seem to recall reading someplace that the frame was essentially the same but I dont know that its the same enough in this circumstance. I know you can get the shorter conversion kits but I would rather have a 5 inch barrel for the .22 conversion than a 4 inch if I can.

I was checking out the "Ciener" brand...

http://www.22lrconversions.com/1911-pg.htm

Anyone have any experience with these?
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Links